AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   VPI Classic 1 or 3 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=23341)

Maks 10-08-2013 09:37 PM

VPI Classic 1 or 3

So I've read through the threads on here about the Classics and the diminishing returns thread as well. I'm torn between the Classic 1 and 3, however the adjustable VTA on the 3 (and 2) is something I would probably would never use other than on initial setup. The outer ring clamp on the 3 is also something I would never use. I can't imagine putting a record on, putting the outer ring on, then the weight. Then to flip sides having to reverse the process. Not to mention toying with the VTA adjustment for every record.

However, I love the plinth on the 3, the tonearm and the upgraded internal wiring are nice improvements. The problem is, are those features worth $3,000? I could get a Classic 1 + really nice cart for just the base price of the 3. I have to imagine a nice cart will be a bigger improvement than anything else. I will head out to a local VPI dealer this weekend, but was wondering if anyone has had practical experience with these 2 tables.

jdandy 10-08-2013 09:56 PM

Steve.......In the long term you will question your decision if you purchase the VPI Classic and not the Classic 3. You will enjoy all of the upgrades and improved performance of both the turntable and the tonearm on the Classic 3. The sting of the purchase is quickly forgotten. The joy of ownership is lasting.

PMCH 10-08-2013 10:14 PM

Maks, I have a Classic 1 (and love it) but I am thinking about upgrading to the Classic 3. I love the rosewood plinth color. They ring sounds like a pain to me also but I am sure I could get adjusted to it. Now that summer is over I plan on driving down to VPI to audition the table since there is no where to listen to one around here. Probably won't have time until late Fall or early Winter to go down there.

Good luck with your audition. Let us know what you think.

Masterlu 10-08-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMCH (Post 538870)
Maks, I have a Classic 1 (and love it) but I am thinking about upgrading to the Classic 3. I love the rosewood plinth color. They ring sounds like a pain to me also but I am sure I could get adjusted to it. Now that summer is over I plan on driving down to VPI to audition the table since there is no where to listen to one around here. Probably won't have time until late Fall or early Winter to go down there.

Good luck with your audition. Let us know what you think.

BTW, the Rosewood plinth won't be available much longer. They are simply unable to get the wood.

I recently ordered a Classic 3 in Rosewood, which I intend to just sit on. :)

DonBattles 10-08-2013 10:23 PM

I have the 3 and was originally hesitant to spend the money. I'm happy I made the choice that I did. I even use the ring and clamp all the time as the mid's and bass seem better with them. Also to make things more complicated you also have the new direct drive table.

Maks 10-08-2013 10:47 PM

Thanks for the input so far, guys. Piano black vs rosewood was another thing I was debating. I have an all McIntosh system so the piano black would match up perfectly, but the more traditional looks of the Classic seem to pair well with a classic wood plinth.

Masterlu 10-08-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 538883)
Thanks for the input so far, guys. Piano black vs rosewood was another thing I was debating. I have an all McIntosh system so the piano black would match up perfectly, but the more traditional looks of the Classic seem to pair well with a classic wood plinth.

I just delivered a Classic 3 in Piano Black to member MAC10 here, maybe he will chime in.

JRSBat 10-09-2013 05:09 AM

If you have a variety of LP thicknesses - new 180/200gm pressings along with thin 80's LPs - you will find yourself using the VTA tower more than expected. I have a Classic 2 arm upgrade on my Scout 2. I set the normal VTA setting to handle 180gm LPs. When I break out some of my 80's LPs they sound pretty dull at that VTA setting. If I crank the tower down a couple rotations the sound improves a lot. I could settle with that improvement for casual listening. However, if I tweak a minute or so while the LP is playing I can get the music to really pop. Adjusting to pre-determined VTA settings for different thickness albums can become a habit - just as using the center weight and periphery ring (which I also do).

MyPal 10-09-2013 07:10 AM

A VTA lifter is what is sorely lacking on the McIntosh tables. :sigh:

MAC10 10-10-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 538887)
I just delivered a Classic 3 in Piano Black to member MAC10 here, maybe he will chime in.

Indeed I will....The piano black with my McIntosh looks gorgeous.
I struggled with the wood decision but decided to go piano black.
To many different kinds of wood in my room and on my rack.
The VPI Classic 3 is such a beautiful turntable.
I bought it sight unseen based on reviews in this forum.
It sits on my rack and just looks like art.
This thing is also a beast.
Even if I wasn't a vinyl lover......just looking at it makes me happy.
Members also get great pricing from Ivan.
This week I added Wireworld silver eclipse speaker cables, Richard gray 1200C, Vpi Classic 3, and a Sound Anchors sub stand.
I'm in Audiophile heaven.
All additions were significant!!!
Did I say that all additions were significant.
Oh yeah I did.
All were purchased from Masterlu.
He is like a stop and go.......has everything and prices are great.