AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   New Yggy or Primaluna DAC? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46156)

JWH 07-01-2019 05:12 PM

New Yggy or Primaluna DAC?

Looking for opinions a new Yggy or the new Primaluna Evo 100. Beyond the obvious R-2R vs DS chip difference, has anyone had a chance to hear both or do a side by side. Considering selling my McIntosh D100 dac and looking for options. I’ve loved my Mac but it’s time for a change. My domestic budget manager isn’t convinced you can improve much on the D100 ... she loves all things Mac :)

PHC1 07-01-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWH (Post 971093)
Looking for opinions a new Yggy or the new Primaluna Evo 100. Beyond the obvious R-2R vs DS chip difference, has anyone had a chance to hear both or do a side by side. Considering selling my McIntosh D100 dac and looking for options. I’ve loved my Mac but it’s time for a change. My domestic budget manager isn’t convinced you can improve much on the D100 ... she loves all things Mac :)

I would love to hear about the same comparison. I’ve perused the PrimaLuna tube DAC webpage. The only negative I can see is that the clock tube is soldered onto the PCB itself. Given the lifespan of even 5-7 years or less depending on the actual usage, what happens when the Russian sourced clock tube needs replacement? Send the whole unit back to PrimaLuna? I can easily take it apart and solder in a new tube but not everyone can or will want to do that. That remains an issue in my mind but I have nor reached out to PrimaLuna to ask that question.

I can speak to the YggY dac myself as can others, it is a very organic and natural sounding DAC but I have not heard the PL tube DAC. :no:

kubla36 07-01-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWH (Post 971093)

Had a D100 and went to a C2600 (couldn’t pin improvement on DAC because I went to the tube preamp at the same time), then Gumby (improvement IMHO, but I like R2R), then Yggy A2.

Puma Cat 07-01-2019 05:37 PM

Yggy, no question.

As Serge points out, its upgradeable, and sometime in the reasonably near future, Schiit may upgrade the USB receiver once again.

JWH 07-01-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 971095)
I would love to hear about the same comparison. I’ve perused the PrimaLuna tube DAC webpage. The only negative I can see is that the clock tube is soldered onto the PCB itself. Given the lifespan of even 5-7 years or less depending on the actual usage, what happens when the Russian sourced clock tube needs replacement? Send the whole unit back to PrimaLuna? I can easily take it apart and solder in a new tube but not everyone can or will want to do that. That remains an issue in my mind but I have nor reached out to PrimaLuna to ask that question.

I can speak to the YggY dac myself as can others, it is a very organic and natural sounding DAC but I have not heard the PL tube DAC. :no:

I’ve had the same question. The UA folks told me it would be about a 10 year lifespan if you listen an hour or two a day on average. Replacement would be non-trivial.

On a side note, the clock tube is supposedly specifically designed for that purpose. Thanks Serge.

JWH 07-01-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubla36 (Post 971097)
Had a D100 and went to a C2600 (couldn’t pin improvement on DAC because I went to the tube preamp at the same time), then Gumby (improvement IMHO, but I like R2R), then Yggy A2.

What did you think about improvement going from Gumby to Yggy? Thanks.

JWH 07-01-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 971101)
Yggy, no question.

As Serge points out, its upgradeable, and sometime in the reasonably near future, Schiit may upgrade the USB receiver once again.

Totally agree ... upgradeabily is a huge plus for digital. Thanks.

kaarmstrong 07-01-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 971101)
Yggy, no question.

Have you heard the Primaluna DAC?

kubla36 07-02-2019 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWH (Post 971109)
What did you think about improvement going from Gumby to Yggy? Thanks.

I thought it worthwhile (and wrote on a thread here in more detail). Took a long time to fully break in. Deeper stage, clearer, more refined. Gumby could be more forgiving.

bachrocks 07-02-2019 04:04 AM

Great topic, JWH. I was wondering the same thing. Especially, I am curious about how these two dacs would sound with the Primaluna EVO 400 amp and preamp. I love the sound of tubes, but having a tube dac alongside a tube amp amd preamp might be too much of a good thing.

ron