AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audeze (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Lcd-2 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18420)

mdkim 01-10-2013 10:40 AM

Lcd-2

Hey all. I have an Audeze LCD2 on order and I'm looking for the best DAC/headamp combo to pair with it for under $1,500. I am considering Schiit (Bifrost&Asgard/Gungnir&Mjolnir) and ALO (the Pan Am stack).

The headphone system will be bedside and used for late night reading. I am not looking for uber resolution but rather, warmth, that will sound good with most material. Any thoughts? I am particularly interested in hearing about the Pan Am stack. Thanks!

HiFiGuy528 01-18-2013 05:10 PM

I have not heard the LCDx, but people say the bryston is a good match.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzF0lOL9HRo]Bryston Audio BHA-1 headphones amp - YouTube[/ame]

mdkim 01-18-2013 05:43 PM

I put my order on hold for the moment while I sort through everything. Thanks for the response.

I am deciding between the LCD2 and the T1 at the moment and am leaning towards an integrated DAC/headamp (or moderately priced alternative) like the Burson, Grace, ALO, Schiit, etc...the BHA is a tad above budget considering that I would need a separate DAC.

HiFiGuy528 01-18-2013 05:47 PM

I can tell you that the T1 and Beyer A1 amp is an amazing combo. There isn't another amp I've used that pairs so well.

BTW, I'm getting the new Beyerdynamic Headzone amp next week. Should be really cool.

Removed 01-18-2013 06:15 PM

I have the T1 and 880 cans with the A1 amp on the way :banana:

HiFiGuy528 01-18-2013 08:43 PM

Jeff, love to hear your thoughts on the T1 & A1 pairing.

Jim Perry 01-19-2013 05:49 PM

I heard them sound great with a Grommes Hi-Fi PHI-26 Tube Amplifier

Glisse 01-25-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdkim (Post 423816)
Hey all. I have an Audeze LCD2 on order and I'm looking for the best DAC/headamp combo to pair with it for under $1,500. I am considering Schiit (Bifrost&Asgard/Gungnir&Mjolnir) and ALO (the Pan Am stack).

The headphone system will be bedside and used for late night reading. I am not looking for uber resolution but rather, warmth, that will sound good with most material. Any thoughts? I am particularly interested in hearing about the Pan Am stack. Thanks!

The LCD-2 and the T1 sound quite different. The T1 is uber resolution and will reward great recordings and punish poor ones, and the LCD-2 is warm and sounds good with most material.

The LCD-2 sounds good, very good, with a Schiit Lyr (don't have their newer amps), whereas the T1 shows up the limitations with the Schitt amp - which is a bit grainy and noisy in absolute terms, but a bargain for what it does.

The LCD-2 is a large and heavy headphone. Lying back on a pillow is not going to work. The T1 is more manageable. Over ear headphones need you to keep fairly upright and relatively still to work properly. If there is someone else there, you might also need to consider whether you should be using closed or open headphones.

I have not heard the Schiit or ALO DACs. Good luck :thumbsup:

Glisse 01-25-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 (Post 428449)
I can tell you that the T1 and Beyer A1 amp is an amazing combo. There isn't another amp I've used that pairs so well.

BTW, I'm getting the new Beyerdynamic Headzone amp next week. Should be really cool.

Funnily enough, I preferred the Lehmann BCL with the T1, and preferred the A1 with Sennheiser headphones. Funny, because Sennheiser, in Europe at least, often use Lehmann amps to demo their products.

audioforever 02-05-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdkim (Post 428442)
I put my order on hold for the moment while I sort through everything. Thanks for the response.

I am deciding between the LCD2 and the T1 at the moment and am leaning towards an integrated DAC/headamp (or moderately priced alternative) like the Burson, Grace, ALO, Schiit, etc...the BHA is a tad above budget considering that I would need a separate DAC.

Hi, if you are looking for an amp/DAC combi I can recommend one of the Bechmark DAC1 devices. I myself drive the LCD2 with a DAC1 hdr. Any of the different DAC1 use the same headphone Amp. Full warm precise and uncolored sound for the LCD2.