AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PPP voltage adjustment (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44014)

gtubes 10-08-2018 12:13 PM

PPP voltage adjustment

Hi everyone. I noticed this morning my PPP was doing its infamous click click click thing. I'm on my third one so it came as no surprise, not a big deal to me. I powered down, unplugged it, waited some time, plugged it back in, waited, then re energized my set up.

Hear's what is odd. Turning the jewel screw voltage adjustment located on the units underbelly no longer has an impact. It used to be a very fine adjustment. No matter how far I go in either direction, the output does not change.

Has anyone experienced this particular oddball? It's operating at 119 out, maybe I'm being picky...

Greg

gtubes 10-12-2018 10:29 AM

Hey all, thinking of sending my PPP to PS Audio for the repair, does anyone know who the best service contact is there for logistical details etc?

Greg

Masterlu 10-12-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtubes (Post 935410)
Hey all, thinking of sending my PPP to PS Audio for the repair, does anyone know who the best service contact is there for logistical details etc?

Greg

Greg... speak to Scott Schroeder and feel free to drop my name. ;)

Vintage Pete 10-12-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtubes (Post 934832)
Hi everyone. I noticed this morning my PPP was doing its infamous click click click thing. I'm on my third one so it came as no surprise, not a big deal to me. I powered down, unplugged it, waited some time, plugged it back in, waited, then re energized my set up.

Hear's what is odd. Turning the jewel screw voltage adjustment located on the units underbelly no longer has an impact. It used to be a very fine adjustment. No matter how far I go in either direction, the output does not change.

Has anyone experienced this particular oddball? It's operating at 119 out, maybe I'm being picky...

Greg

gtubes...I hadn't realized that there was even an adjustment on the underside. It's not entirely clear to me from your post if turning this screw is supposed to have any influence on the click click click syndrome. In any event, my PPP has been doing this as well. I sent a communication to PS Audio from their support page and never got a response.

My solution is to replace the PPP. With Ivan's help, I've ordered a PS Audio Direct Stream P12 regenerator, along with a Dectet to give me a bit more outlet capability than the 8 outlets available on the P12.

I don't like that click click click at all, I find it quite annoying. It's my understanding that when it does this, it's actually switching in and out of the regeneration mode. That tells me the unit really isn't doing its job when this is going on.

My P12 and Dectet are due to arrive tomorrow; stay tuned for my impressions.

gtubes 10-13-2018 08:33 PM

Ivan, a huge thx, I will call Scott Monday.

Hey Pete, exciting about your P12 etc.

The relay and voltage adjustment are unrelated, I was mentioning the classic clicking as a side note. It's the first time while the relay has failed that I noticed the voltage adjustment paralyzed...

And yes PETE! the jewel screw is located on the bottom so we can dial in the voltage output to our specific liking, in my case I like a standard and non fluctuating 120 out...having said that the location of the adjusting screw I have always found to be a little odd...