AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   McIntosh C53 2-Channel Solid State Preamplifier (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46220)

RaceCarDriver 07-10-2019 10:45 AM

McIntosh C53 2-Channel Solid State Preamplifier

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/new-products/C53

Quote:

The C53 Preamplifier is ready to serve in your home audio system for many years – even decades – all while delivering unmatched audio quality. Following the digital audio precedent set in our current solid state integrated amplifiers, the C53 stereo preamplifier features an upgradeable digital audio module. But unlike our integrated amplifiers that use our DA1 Digital Audio Module, the C53 is the first to use our new, more advanced DA2 Digital Audio Module.
The DA2 builds upon the DA1 with an expanded set of capabilities. In addition to having all the same connections as the DA1 (2 coaxial, 2 optical, 1 USB and 1 proprietary MCT for use with our MCT series of SACD/CD Transports), a new audio-only HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC)1 connection is included on the DA2. This allows it to be connected to TVs with a compatible HDMI (ARC) output to bring your TV sound to a new level of audio performance by listening to it through your home stereo system. Popular multi-channel audio formats from Dolby® and DTS® are supported and will be expertly converted to 2-channel audio for proper playback through the C53. When CEC communication is enabled in both the C53 and your TV, the C53 remote can control the TV’s power and volume.

Additionally, the DA2’s USB input can support native playback of up to DSD512, surpassing the DSD256 limit of the DA1. This increased DSD playback support is thanks to the next generation, Quad Balanced, 8-channel, 32-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) that powers the DA2. This audiophile-grade DAC is highlighted by both an improved dynamic range and total harmonic distortion compared to the DA1. The USB input also supports DXD up to 384kHz. The coax and optical inputs can decode digital music up to 24-bit/192kHz for high resolution audio playback. Rounding out the DA2 is an MCT input that offers a secure, custom DSD connection for playback of the high definition audio found on SACDs when paired with our MCT series of SACD/CD Transports to produce the best possible sound quality from your SACD collection.
In addition to the 7 digital inputs found in the DA2 module, the C53 also has 9 analog inputs, giving it a nearly inexhaustible number of 16 total inputs for connecting all your music sources. The analog inputs consist of 3 balanced and 4 unbalanced connections, plus 1 Moving Coil and 1 Moving Magnet phono inputs for plugging in your trusted turntable. Outputs include 3 variable balanced and unbalanced connections along with 1 fixed unbalanced connection.

Tone controls include an 8-band analog equalizer; each band can be adjusted ± 12dB so you can fine tune your music just the way you like. Our High Drive Headphone Amplifier can power virtually any pair of headphones, while Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®) can bring an added dimension to your music. Home Theater Pass Through lets the C53 be seamlessly integrated into your home theater system. Power Control ports let you easily turn other connected McIntosh components on and off, while the Data Ports can send remote control commands to connected source components.
All this audio technology is packaged inside the C53’s classic McIntosh design featuring a black glass front panel backlit by direct LED lighting, blue meters, rotary knobs, an illuminated logo and aluminum end caps. An attractive polished stainless steel chassis finishes the distinguished look. It can be paired with an assortment of amplifiers, CD players, turntables, tuners, media streamers, room correction devices and speakers to complete your home audio system. Contact your local dealer to learn more.
The HDMI (ARC) input will only play audio from a compatible TV. It will not pass video to or from a TV, or play audio from any non-TV source.
The terms HDMI, HDMI High-Definition Multimedia Interface, and the HDMI Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing Administrator, Inc.
Dolby is a registered trademark of Dolby Laboratories.
DTS, DTS-HD, the Symbol, & DTS or DTS-HD and the Symbol together are registered trademarks of DTS, Inc. © DTS, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Maks 07-10-2019 11:20 AM

Just saw it on Facebook, I'm not a huge fan of the EQ, but I dig it!

JWJW 07-10-2019 01:20 PM

C53 price

$8,000?!? = ridiculous. JMHO. Sorry.
Is the amp section of a MA9000 only worth a few grand more?

gsabath 07-10-2019 02:30 PM

So I bought a MA-5300 the day it came out for the upgradeable function of the DA1 module. So if the DA2 is out: 1) Can I upgrade; 2) what is the cost; 3) what are the DAC specs.

JBT 07-10-2019 05:04 PM

I wonder if its just the C 5200 with the Dac module. Wonder if they're going to do a D-200 and D1200 now?

xv21 07-10-2019 05:11 PM

The only significant difference between McIntosh C52 and C53 is DA2 Digital Audio Module?

xv21 07-10-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWJW (Post 972347)
$8,000?!? = ridiculous.

What is the price of McIntosh C52?

Dylan Morris 07-10-2019 07:30 PM

C52 is $7,000

FreddieFerric 07-10-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 972336)
Just saw it on Facebook, I'm not a huge fan of the EQ, but I dig it!

I don't tend to use the 8 band EQ on my MA8000 that much, but it's sure nice to have when certain music demands adjustments. Especially as some of my older vinyl records often need. When the EQ is not engaged, the signal path does not touch that circuit so its existence is supposed to have zero effect on the sound.

This new C53 looks like a real keeper to me. At least until the next greatest improvement in digital sound hits the street. Yes, they do say it can be upgraded, but you know...

Stahle 07-10-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xv21 (Post 972381)
What is the price of McIntosh C52?

The price of the C52 was just raised from $7,000 to $7,500 and now the C53 is $8,000! Prices are getting out of hand.

FreddieFerric 07-10-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsabath (Post 972356)
So I bought a MA-5300 the day it came out for the upgradeable function of the DA1 module. So if the DA2 is out: 1) Can I upgrade; 2) what is the cost; 3) what are the DAC specs.

Hi gsabath! Welcome to the show. Have no idea if your 5300 can be upgraded to the new DA2 module, but a quick call to Mc will get your answer.

Masterlu 07-10-2019 08:16 PM

gsabath... Welcome to AA! :wave:

and thanks for your Support becoming a Subscriber. :ok:

Dylan Morris 07-10-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stahle (Post 972413)
The price of the C52 was just raised from $7,000 to $7,500 and now the C53 is $8,000! Prices are getting out of hand.

You should see the U.K. prices:

C52 £8,200 ($10,600)
C53 £9,995 ($13,000)

JBT 07-10-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsabath (Post 972356)

Yes the MA5300 is upgradable.

gsabath 07-10-2019 10:13 PM

Thanks all for the info that the MA5300 can be upgraded. Hopefully this will be a reasonable cost. I would rather have the upgade then have to go and buy a non-Mc DAC for the addition performance.

Dylan Morris 07-11-2019 10:19 AM

I’m interested at to why McIntosh prices are substantially more in the U.K. than the U.S. I guess there’s a fair amount of import tariff applied over here, but us Brits also have to pay a very high level of sales tax (called VAT) which is 20%. If the MC53 is $8,000 is there U.S. sales tax to pay on top of this amount ?

Stahle 07-11-2019 12:16 PM

McIntosh C53 2-Channel Solid State Preamplifier

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Morris (Post 972480)
I’m interested at to why McIntosh prices are substantially more in the U.K. than the U.S. I guess there’s a fair amount of import tariff applied over here, but us Brits also have to pay a very high level of sales tax (called VAT) which is 20%. If the MC53 is $8,000 is there U.S. sales tax to pay on top of this amount ?

Only if the state where you purchase it charges a sales tax which most do. The state I live in doesn’t have sales tax so I wouldn’t have any additional charges over the $8,000 retail.

FreddieFerric 07-11-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Mc's are made in America and we don't have a value added taxation system. (At least not yet), I'm sure the UK charges a duty on these products to equalize them to a level playing field for your good UK manufacturers. I could be wrong, but I'd suspect that's the reason for the price discrepancy.

Sales taxes are statewide and vary tremendously from one jurisdiction to the next. Where I live it's 9.875%

PHC1 07-11-2019 10:56 PM

No one is going to bring up the Boston Tea Party and taxation without representation? :lmao:

Mamrak1 07-12-2019 01:54 AM

Taxation is often the reason Audio buyers purchase their equipment at places like Overture A/V in Delaware. No sales tax is applied thus saving hundreds (possibly thousands) of dollars if you happen to live in the nearby area.

PHC1 07-12-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamrak1 (Post 972603)
Taxation is often the reason Audio buyers purchase their equipment at places like Overture A/V in Delaware. No sales tax is applied thus saving hundreds (possibly thousands) of dollars if you happen to live in the nearby area.

I do and I have. :yes: My ex 501 monoblocks as well as a few other McIntosh items were purchased there for that reason.

John49 07-12-2019 06:44 AM

Quote:

The more hands an item has to pass through, the more is added to the price to you. I have queried the UK prices of US goods many times and the usual response is “we all have to make a living!”

Vantage5340 07-12-2019 09:05 AM

And don’t forget currency fluctuations: a company exporting from the USA to Europe (or the opposite) will also want to protect its revenue from variations in the exchange rates. $8,000 in EUR (or GBP or DKK, etc) today might not be the same three or six months down the road.

JBT 07-12-2019 02:28 PM

AudoStream. on the C53

https://www.audiostream.com/content/...digital-module

PHC1 07-12-2019 05:39 PM

Out of curiosity, I recall McIntosh mentioning upgradability path some years back now but have they actually ever offered an upgrade to any modules? :scratch2:

miner 07-12-2019 10:07 PM

Wondering the same thing Serge

Stahle 07-12-2019 10:44 PM

The first thing I thought when I saw the DA2 is are all of the other components that have the DA1 now going to be sold with the DA2 when purchased new? I’m considering purchasing an MA9000 and if I ordered one and it had to come direct from McIntosh rather than dealer stock, I would not be happy if it didn’t have the DA2.

Dylan Morris 07-13-2019 05:04 AM

Have useful in reality is the HDMI input on this new DAC2.

The Audiostream review says a flat panel TV can be connected but surely the audio would be out of sync with the TV ? I’ve an MA8000 (with the older built in 2 channel DAC) and I’ve tried pushing my TV audio through it using the TV’s SPDIF (Toslink) connector (there’s no HDMI input on amp) and the audio is behind the picture hence unwatchable. So I have to use the TV analogue audio output via headphone socket and go into the amp via unbalanced RCA input.

I suppose the HDMI input could be used with audio source components but how many have an HDMI output. And what advantage would this give compared to the way I do this via a digital co-axial cable ?

Is this DAC2 a bit overrated then ? :dunno:

Wei 07-13-2019 09:01 AM

I was about to order C2600 and was told that a new tube pre is coming out as well. Hope it gets this DA2 module!

Dylan Morris 07-13-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stahle (Post 972727)
The first thing I thought when I saw the DA2 is are all of the other components that have the DA1 now going to be sold with the DA2 when purchased new? I’m considering purchasing an MA9000 and if I ordered one and it had to come direct from McIntosh rather than dealer stock, I would not be happy if it didn’t have the DA2.

Maybe a good opportunity to purchase an MA9000 from a dealer with old stock at nice discounted price :thumbsup:

thughes 07-13-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

the audio is behind the picture hence unwatchable.
I had the same issue on the audio only HDMI of the most recent Oppo Blu-ray player. I had to tinker with the audio synch settings, but I did eventually achieve a good match.

thughes 07-13-2019 11:47 AM

What holds me back on upgrading to one of the new Mc preamps is the lack of a tuner module. I am still using my old C45 with the TM1 tuner module. If I upgrade preamps, I also have to add a tuner.

damacman 07-13-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Morris (Post 972743)

The Audiostream review says a flat panel TV can be connected but surely the audio would be out of sync with the TV ? I’ve an MA8000 (with the older built in 2 channel DAC) and I’ve tried pushing my TV audio through it using the TV’s SPDIF (Toslink) connector (there’s no HDMI input on amp) and the audio is behind the picture hence unwatchable. So I have to use the TV analogue audio output via headphone socket and go into the amp via unbalanced RCA input.

I suppose the HDMI input could be used with audio source components but how many have an HDMI output. And what advantage would this give compared to the way I do this via a digital co-axial cable ?

This is an excellent question. Obviously, ARC HDMI connection points offer two-way communication. One benefit for the apartment dweller (without the space for a full blown home theater system) who desires the audio from his TV to be through his audio system would be waking up the C53 by simply turning on the TV. As for other benefits in comparison to the standard Toslink output from the TV, I have no idea.

IM3CPO 07-13-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Morris (Post 972743)

Every flat panel TV I have ever owned has had a way to change the delay in the audio to make the TV sync with an external sound device. Not all refer to this using the same terminology, but its usually called "lip sync delay" or something along those lines.

malba2366 07-15-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsabath (Post 972426)
Thanks all for the info that the MA5300 can be upgraded. Hopefully this will be a reasonable cost. I would rather have the upgade then have to go and buy a non-Mc DAC for the addition performance.

I vaguely remember reading that upgrades were estimated to be in the $2000 price range when they first revealed the switchable DACs on the integrated amps. I don't recall the source or if that was just speculation.

gsabath 07-16-2019 05:00 PM

Ouch!! I can buy a new Benchmark or 2 RME for that amount if true.

W9TR 07-17-2019 07:02 AM

It’s going to be interesting to see how McIntosh plays this out.

Will they offer a multi-bit module?
Will they stay with their current Delta/Sigma DAC architecture?

There are some excellent DAC’s in the $2k price class. I own a Benchmark DAC3 HGC and a Schiit Yggdrasil and they are both very different sounding.

I’m hoping McIntosh is wildly successful with this strategy so the price of older gear, specifically the MA 8000, will drop as people upgrade. :)

Msegal 07-20-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 973277)
It’s going to be interesting to see how McIntosh plays this out.

Will they offer a multi-bit module?
Will they stay with their current Delta/Sigma DAC architecture?

There are some excellent DAC’s in the $2k price class. I own a Benchmark DAC3 HGC and a Schiit Yggdrasil and they are both very different sounding.

I’m hoping McIntosh is wildly successful with this strategy so the price of older gear, specifically the MA 8000, will drop as people upgrade. :)

I doubt Mac is looking for the “cost effective “ option.
I think they are trying to allow owners of older amps to maintain compatibility with newer formats and higher Rez.
I also doubt that sound quality is their driving force for the DAC modules.

Mike S.

W9TR 07-21-2019 11:44 AM

Good point Mike!