AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Just got a D02X! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40212)

audioextreme 08-10-2017 10:40 PM

Just got a D02X!

Let me start by saying that my system consists of: Mc 1.2KW x 2. C52 preamp. BW 800D3. Aurender N10.

I went to go visit my long time friend and dealer to just chitchat and peruse his new arrivals. He had a pair of Magico Q7 and I was very eager to hear those (by the way, holy sh*t, best speaker i've ever heard).

I have been in the market for a DAC for quite a while, as I just was looking for something a little more than the DAC in my McIntosh C52. It just so happens that the DAC i've dreamed of acquiring, the D02X, came back to my dealer as a return, basically the tape crack opened at the top, but otherwise not opened at all. I got a huge discount on it, and decided to take it! I knew a deal as such would never come back.

I have ordered an AES/EBU cable, XLR cables, and power cords, and am waiting for it to come in then i'll go pick up the entire package.

My dealer didn't want me to open it up so I couldn't listen to it as he wanted to keep the new condition of it but has given me a 30 day money back guarantee minus 500 bucks if i don't like it.

I bought this unit basically off of threads on this site, and reviews I thread online.

People who own this, how do you like it?

Any thoughts on what filter settings sound best?

How did your sound change? I guess even K01X owners can chime in here as these are similar caliber units.

My Mc52 is basically functioning as a line stage pre-amp now, is it money well spent to look into a higher-quality line-stage preamp? Would the sound change much with this upgrade? IF so, how would it change?

I can barely sit in my seat, waiting to get this set up.

Also, I ordered a complete set of Vicoustics panels today, (40 wavewoods, 16 cinema rounds, and 6 bass traps), so this will all be installed very soon!

I have a feeling that I am going to be a happy camper in a month.

jdandy 08-10-2017 11:15 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._end_title.jpg

audioextreme 08-11-2017 09:40 AM

Dan,

I would love to hear your opinion on some of the above questions.

2fastdriving 08-11-2017 12:28 PM

Congrats on the new toy. I'm sure it will be awesome. My k01x took a really long time to "open up", which makes me believe that break in is real. I use 8x upsample and s_dly2 filter. I find it very pleasing, creates a more spacious sound. I don't know if the d02x has all the same filters.

As to the preamp question... I believe that the preamp is the heart of the system, and it greatly impacts the overall sound. You should not skimp here. But I don't know anything about the one you have so I can't comment on it.

audioextreme 08-11-2017 02:10 PM

thank you for your reply. i noticed you have an E-03, I'm considering this as well, found one used. How do you like it?

2fastdriving 08-11-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioextreme (Post 861158)
thank you for your reply. i noticed you have an E-03, I'm considering this as well, found one used. How do you like it?

I like everything esoteric makes. Build quality is second to none, and sound quality is top notch in every product at its price point. If I was going all in, the only phono pre I'd rather have is the audio research ref phono 3, but that retails more than twice as much as the e03.

jdandy 08-11-2017 04:19 PM

Daniel.......I can't speak about the performance of the Esoteric D-02X because I have no experience with it. I only know what I have read on Esoteric's website. I can tell you the DAC in my K-01X is spectacular so I suspect the D-02X to perform at a level that exceeds my player/DAC.

I don't think you will need to bail out of your C52 preamplifier in order to enjoy the performance level the Esoteric D-02X will deliver, although moving up to the McIntosh C1100 preamplifier would likely reveal performance enhancements.

joey_v 08-12-2017 01:56 AM

From another D3 owner and former 800D3 owner, how do you like the 800D3 in your room? How big is your room?

You gonna open that D02x??

docmd2010 08-13-2017 10:32 PM

Joey, I'm a 802D3 owner. I got a D02X earlier this year and man. what a difference. when I first got it, I was very underwhelmed. but then I played it straight for 300 hours, and it's beautiful.

I love it.

docmd2010 08-13-2017 10:50 PM

To the OP:

your system is very similar to mine (it's almost uncanny how similar) but yours is on the higher end speaker wise and amp wise. Congrats, I can say that it made a huge difference in my system, and you will be extremely happy!