AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tuners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   My beef w/XM radio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37037)

Maks 09-11-2016 07:30 PM

My beef w/XM radio

I know the sound quality w/XM isn't the greatest, I'm fully aware of that, but my biggest problem w/XM content is the poor engineering on the live shows. The host's voice will be at one level and then callers or the music will be way too loud and sound like a tape that was recoded w/high levels. Or vice versa or some other combination. It's not uncommon for me to have to turn a show off because of this, has anyone else run into this situation?

Weirdcuba 09-11-2016 08:15 PM

Yes. The whole thing leaves a lot to be desired in my view. My wife loves listening to national political shows though, so I keep it for her car. Otherwise, no interest.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

tdelahanty 09-12-2016 07:49 AM

My complaint is only two jazz and one classical stations. Most of the material played on Watercolors is adolescent drivel.

jdandy 09-12-2016 12:37 PM

I subscribed to Sirius XM in five vehicles through the years but never felt it was worth the price for the few channels (stations) I listened to. I did not renew the subscriptions. The past three or four vehicles I purchased came with complimentary satellite radio for three or six months. I let the complimentary service lapse without subscribing and did not miss the service when it ended. I generally can find something interesting to listen to off the air or I play CD's or plug the iPad into a USB port and listen to audio books. I have no interest in paid satellite radio services.

MtnHam 09-12-2016 09:33 PM

As a classical and opera lover, I enjoy two XM channels, Symphony and Met Opera. Local FM is terrible. I have dropped it several times over the years, but come back from time to time in my 2nd vehicle (Chevy 2500HD Diesel p/u truck) for their special offers: 5 months for $25. However, I must say, the SQ sucks. In my main ride (MBZ-which has an excellent sound system) I have a wired iPod with high-res files providing superb SQ, so no need or desire for XM. It integrates completely with the factory system, so all the functions are there, including the data display. The iPod lives in the glove box, out of sight, with no need to ever handle it.

Maks 09-12-2016 09:56 PM

Yeah, as mentioned the SQ isn't great. I know what I'm getting into when I turn on my XM radio. This was more about the engineer/producer not knowing how to check levels properly.

Formerly YB-2 09-19-2016 08:34 AM

Will also subscribe only when they have a "deal" to offer. My biggest complaint is that they are so repetitive. On a several day trip around the country XM is no better than staying home listening to normal FM. Same songs after a day or two. Pretty sorry when there is so much music out there, regardless of genre.

Maks 09-19-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 804311)
Will also subscribe only when they have a "deal" to offer. My biggest complaint is that they are so repetitive. On a several day trip around the country XM is no better than staying home listening to normal FM. Same songs after a day or two. Pretty sorry when there is so much music out there, regardless of genre.

I call up to quit every January and they offer me something like 50% off to stay on, so it's worth it to me at that price. At regular list price? No way.

nicoff 09-20-2016 10:55 AM

I used to listen to XM radio. Today, however, with the ability to stream from so many diverse sources, XM radio looks more and more as an idea whose time has passed. I bought a car that came with a 3 month subscription and after it expired, I must have gotten 10 letters or more with offers to renew. That does not count the emails that pop up just about every week with offers to renew. I guess that XM was a good idea some time ago.

cleeds 09-21-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 804375)
I call up to quit every January and they offer me something like 50% off to stay on, so it's worth it to me at that price.

I do the same thing. Yes, the SQ is awful, as others have noted. But my car doesn't have especially good iPod connectivity, so XM is especially convenient. And, XM has Pat St. John, Earl Bailey and Jim Ladd. They add extra value ... especially Pat. Compared to my other hi-fi and music costs, it's not too bad a deal, imo.