AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Which power cord for my projector? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46980)

Parabellum 11-05-2019 12:59 AM

Which power cord for my projector?

Hi there,

I have a Panasonic PT-8000AE projector that I wish to improve the image quality. It is 1080P and my screen is 106 in. Right now I am using the stock cord. Recently I plugged a spare shunyata Venom defender and i believe it made a difference. I will soon install a shunyata SR-Z1 duplex so i would like to have a shunyata power cord to complete the loom.

In this situation where I use a defender, which cable would be a good match? I was thinking maybe a Venom HC or Venom 3 on the used market but if a newer cable would be preferable then I would like to know which one.

Thanks

bigblue 11-05-2019 02:35 AM

A friend of mine has tried different cables and filter with his Sony VPL 95. And yes, some improvement was noticed. But it is not jaw dropping or Night and Day (in his case).
Since your projector was launched 7 yeas ago, my suggestion would be to put that money on a new lamp (if you haven't already). That would probably be a bigger improvement than a power cable.

Puma Cat 11-05-2019 03:53 AM

Venom V14 Digital power cord; specifically designed for this type of application.

Parabellum 11-05-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblue (Post 984740)
A friend of mine has tried different cables and filter with his Sony VPL 95. And yes, some improvement was noticed. But it is not jaw dropping or Night and Day (in his case).
Since your projector was launched 7 yeas ago, my suggestion would be to put that money on a new lamp (if you haven't already). That would probably be a bigger improvement than a power cable.

My lamp has only 231h on it. This is because I purchased my projector at the end of 2015 and it has been in storage for about 2 years due to the reno of my listening room.

Parabellum 11-05-2019 10:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 984741)
Venom V14 Digital power cord; specifically designed for this type of application.

Do you think the Venom Defender would be unnecessary with the V14 Digital?

Also, I am not sure the connector of the V14 Digital would phisically fit the IEC socket. I just took a picture of the back of the projector.

If looking at the connector options for this cable, the big connector might not fit but there is another option for that connector, which is smaller, that would fit. Which connector connector out of the two comes standard?

nicoff 11-05-2019 11:19 PM

Which power cord for my projector?

Never seen any difference changing cords in any of my projectors.

Puma Cat 11-06-2019 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parabellum (Post 984808)
Do you think the Venom Defender would be unnecessary with the V14 Digital?

Also, I am not sure the connector of the V14 Digital would phisically fit the IEC socket. I just took a picture of the back of the projector.

If looking at the connector options for this cable, the big connector might not fit but there is another option for that connector, which is smaller, that would fit. Which connector connector out of the two comes standard?

From your photos, it looks like Venom 14 Digital will fit fine with a standard C13 plug. You can get Venom 14 Digital PCs with C13, C7 and C7P plugs. If you are concerned a standard C13 plug with the NR filter may not fit, you can request a custom build with the NR filter at the AC plug end. You won't get as much component to component noise isolation, but the specific NR filtering the V14D provides will still be there. But looking at your photo, I think a standard C13 plug with the NR filter at the component end will fit fine; it may cover your on/off switch, but it should fit without obstruction.

Wtih respect to noise suppression the V14D will actually be better than that provided by the Venom Defender as the V14D has a slightly different noise filtering capability specifically designed for digital components the Defender does not have. However, IIRC, the Defender has transient protection that the V14D doesn't, so if you're concerned about this, I'd use one in the power strip or receptacle that the V14D/projector is plugged into.

Puma Cat 11-06-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 984812)
Never seen any difference changing cords in any of my projectors.

Can't speak to projectors, but I sure see a notable improvement when using them with HDTVs, cable boxes and Blu-Ray players.

oddeophile 11-06-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 984822)
Can't speak to projectors, but I sure see a notable improvement when using them with HDTVs, cable boxes and Blu-Ray players.

+1

crion2 11-07-2019 07:48 AM

Wall: Furutech SWS-R. I run a Venom HC into a Venom EU7 (CCI3) powerstrip. From there a Furutech 3Ts867 with FI50 connectors.

On a highend DLP projector with cleaned DLP wheel and a new lamp the powercord does make a large difference. I see projectors like an active speaker, amp with DAC.

I think you are on the right track. 10 gauge is not out of the question IMHO especially for higher powered projectors (200W+).