AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Q5's are here! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=14945)

thesaint519 07-07-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penthouse-D (Post 333975)
So, it's the hottest day of the year in NYC and I have to smuggle in a huge pair of speakers into a co-op that doesn't allow deliveries on Saturdays. Luckily,we have a garage in the basement. I enlist a buddy and the delivery guy so there's 3 of us. I read a story about someone else's delivery where the speakers are opened up on their backs. Since then Magico has you unpack them standing up and since has put wheels on the bottoms ala Wilson.Additionally part of the huge crates can be used as ramps. Extremely helpful navigating the few steps up to the elevator. We unpacked the crates in the garage and rolled them into the elevator one at a time. We only ran into someone on the last trip. No fuss. My room is sort of tough to voice. It's 21X20 somewhat square. After fiddling around with them we voiced them as well as we could about 20 inchesfrom the rear wall and about 9 feet apart and toed in about 2 inches. We removed the wheels and placed them on the spikes. I may have to fiddle around with them a bit from here. The speakers haven't "disappeared" quite yet. I know the break in period is about 500 hours total. They sound really really good. Not excellent yet,but a bit better than I had expected right out of the crate. VERY dynamic, open even airy. The bass isn't as punchy and I'm hoping for, but i'm hopeful once the drivers loosen up, I'll feel the bass in the couch. So far, so great. Anyone who has any voicing suggestions is urged to comment. I'll keep eveyone posted as they open up more.

Congrats!! :tresbon: I'm in NY, too. When is the speaker-warming party? It's a lot like a house warming, except instead of bringing gifts, we bring CDs, and we salivate. :D

Penthouse-D 07-07-2012 04:23 PM

After break in!

Masterlu 07-07-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 334019)
Congrats!! :tresbon: I'm in NY, too. When is the speaker-warming party? It's a lot like a house warming, except instead of bringing gifts, we bring CDs, and we salivate. :D

Cool! AA Bibs for everyone. :banana:

https://edgecastcdn.net/800034/www.p.../WBON-0105.jpg

joeinid 07-07-2012 04:29 PM

Sounds like fun.

MC1.2kW's all around for everyone ;)

Kingsrule 07-07-2012 05:02 PM

So what speakers did you have before the Q5's?

Penthouse-D 07-07-2012 05:13 PM

Sore subject. Without naming the brand, let's just call them a glorified do it yourselfer that sells directly. The speakers had NO bass whatsoever. After countless phone calls and emails, the manufacturer kept on blaming it on my room. Telling me I needed subwoofers, I sold them. One of the happiest days of my life! I'll tell you right now, while the Q5's are pounding, and not known for "bass slam", it's NOT the room. I notice you have Wilsons. It's one of their biggest competitors.

thesaint519 07-07-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penthouse-D
After break in!

Can't wait.

NoahG 07-07-2012 05:17 PM

Would have loved to see the expression on the person in the elevator, when you rolled that big black box in.

Enjoy your new Q5s!

Penthouse-D 07-07-2012 05:21 PM

it was funny. We did them one at a time with the covers on them. 65+ year old Asian woman. Very nice. She got in the elevator,looked at me and just asked, "speaker"? I said "yup". She smiled and got off at her floor...

thesaint519 07-07-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penthouse-D
it was funny. We did them one at a time with the covers on them. 65+ year old Asian woman. Very nice. She got in the elevator,looked at me and just asked, "speaker"? I said "yup". She smiled and got off at her floor...

Nothing worse than nosy neighbors. Doesn't sound like she's one of them. So glad she knew to play along.