AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Is the Wilson W/P 7 still a viable speaker? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41013)

parsifalcor 11-02-2017 08:52 AM

Is the Wilson W/P 7 still a viable speaker?

For those of us wannabe Wilson owners on a budget with limited space, is the W/P 7 a viable way to enter the Wilson sound? They are under 7k now, but am wondering if perhaps a Sophia 3 might be a better way to enter the family.

PHC1 11-02-2017 10:25 AM

You should listen to both. My choice would be Sophia 3 in fact I bought Sophia 2 (then 3) after auditioning both. W/P 7 was still the old Wilson sound to my ears which I didn’t care for.

FDPDK 11-02-2017 11:36 AM

Or what about the Sabrina.
Haven't heard the Sophia 3 so it might be better , there are a lot of members here that knows much more than i do.

metaphacts 11-02-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDPDK (Post 876971)
Or what about the Sabrina.
Haven't heard the Sophia 3 so it might be better , there are a lot of members here that knows much more than i do.

Two issues with Sabrina

Sabrina sells for significantly more than a Certified AuthenticTM (or a regular used) Sophia 3 or W/P7.

Sabrinas on the Certified AuthenticTM or used market are extremely rare.

FDPDK 11-02-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 876972)
Two issues with Sabrina

Sabrina sells for significantly more than a Certified AuthenticTM (or a regular used) Sophia 3 or W/P7.

Sabrinas on the Certified AuthenticTM or used market are extremely rare.

Thanks a lot :)

parsifalcor 11-02-2017 03:25 PM

I auditioned a pair of Sabrinas at Music Lovers audio in SF and really enjoyed them. I felt that they were magnificent speakers that represented a surprisingly good value - I've only seen one pair on the used market and it was going for significantly more than a pair of Sophias or WP7/8.

Ideally, I'd love a pair of Yvettes, but those are as rare as Jen's teeth on the used market.

Still-One 11-02-2017 04:03 PM

I would also probably go for the Sophia 3 over the W/P 7. As others have noted depending on the room the Sabrina sure brings a smile to my face whenever I hear it.

GSOphile 11-02-2017 05:24 PM

To me the W/P 7 and the Sophias were the beginning of the new less analytical Wilson sound. I would prefer the 7 over the first two Sophias, with the 7 and the Sophia 3 about a push. I believe the W/P 7 will be a bit more challenging amplifier load than the Sophias.

Coppy 11-02-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSOphile (Post 877059)
To me the W/P 7 and the Sophias were the beginning of the new less analytical Wilson sound. I would prefer the 7 over the first two Sophias, with the 7 and the Sophia 3 about a push. I believe the W/P 7 will be a bit more challenging amplifier load than the Sophias.

Agree with these comments. I had WP7s and loved them. Traded them in on Sasha 1s. The Sophia's were close to the Sasha's except in bass response then. Suggest you listen to both and then decide.

parsifalcor 11-03-2017 08:04 AM

The WP7 was the first Wilson speaker I really loved, but I heard it several years ago at the beginning of my adventure in audiophilia; so of course, I'd have to hear it again before making a firm decision.

My question stems from the fact that the tweeter technology in the WP7 (and go some extent, Sophias) is much less advanced than that offered by the convergent synergy tweeter on the Sabrinas, for instance. Is the WP7 still a competitive speaker? I absolutely adore the Wilson design and aesthetic - will the factory/dealer network still support a legacy product should something go wrong with it? Are there any possibilities to upgrade the tweeter or other components and make a bit more up-to-date, or is it a legacy product that should be enjoyed in its own right?

Thank you guys for your help!