AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Cartridge choice for VPI Prime (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=32630)

roboss38 08-08-2015 05:31 PM

Cartridge choice for VPI Prime

I have a Prime on order that I'll hopefully see in the next month or so. I ordered the Prime with a Ortofon 2M Black but I'm waffling on that decision. I'm considering a switch to a Soundsmith Zephyr MKII or Aida. I will be be using a Lounge Audio MKIII as my phono pre-amp to start. I would be interested to hear peoples opinion on the three cartridges, and how the Soundsmith cartridges work with the 3D arm. Thanks.

edkoz 08-08-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roboss38 (Post 718915)
I have a Prime on order that I'll hopefully see in the next month or so. I ordered the Prime with a Ortofon 2M Black but I'm waffling on that decision. I'm considering a switch to a Soundsmith Zephyr MKII or Aida. I will be be using a Lounge Audio MKIII as my phono pre-amp to start. I would be interested to hear peoples opinion on the three cartridges, and how the Soundsmith cartridges work with the 3D arm. Thanks.

I have the VPI Classic 1 and have been using the Ortofon 2M black. I have been VERY happy with its performance. I don't know how the Soundsmith performs but you really can't go wrong with the Ortofon.
Ed

harri009 08-08-2015 06:36 PM

I am using a ortofon cadenza red and have been enjoying it very much. I had a cadenza bronze on the prime and found it a little too laid back for my taste. When I upgraded to the Aries 3d I switched out for a cadenza red and found the slightly more aggressive sound to be better better. This could have also been in part because of the difference in tables though. I have a good buddy who didn't like the Lyra Kleos at all on his 3d arm with his classic 3, said it was too laid back a combination. He loved it on his metal arm though. So my personal conclusion is that the 3d arm sounds best with a slightly more aggressive cartridge.

audio bill 08-08-2015 08:35 PM

If you'd like a cartridge with a bit more detailed or forward sound compared to the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze but without the additional expense of the Black, the Cadenza Blue may be a good alternative. With its ruby cantilever it is exquisitely detailed and fits in the Cadenza line between the Red and Bronze and is priced accordingly.

roboss38 08-08-2015 08:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I need to stick with a MM or MI cartridge, because that's what my phono pre-amp will accommodate. This is why I was looking at the Soundsmith cartridges. Moving coil cartridge and a new phono pre might be something for later down the road.

427 08-08-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roboss38 (Post 718946)
Thanks for the info. I need to stick with a MM or MI cartridge, because that's what my phono pre-amp will accommodate. This is why I was looking at the Soundsmith cartridges. Moving coil cartridge and a new phono pre might be something for later down the road.

Well that's not true, a HOMC will play in a MM input, that's why they started making high output MC. You can also add a head amp to boost the signal slitely if you need to, to have a louder output in your overall system.

So a HOMC generaly will have an output of 2.5v and that's good enough for them to work on MM phono stages.

Formerly YB-2 08-09-2015 08:50 AM

Have both the 2M Black and the Kontrapunkt-b from Ortofon and they are excellent cartridges. You can put a SUT (step-up transformer) in front of your phono-preamp for use with an MC cartridge. The Cary phonp-preamp that I use has that feature built-in and works as advertised. Congrats on your new VPI Prime. Keep us posted.

prepress 08-09-2015 02:03 PM

At the NY Audio Show, Mat Weisfeld suggested Ortofon. Grado would work, too. I don't recall specific Grado models he mentioned, but I think it was the Ortofon Black on the Prime at the show.

roboss38 08-11-2015 04:36 PM

I have decided to go with the Dynavector 20x2 for my Prime. An extended listening session with both the 2M Black and Dynavector made the choice for me. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

427 08-11-2015 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roboss38 (Post 719534)
I have decided to go with the Dynavector 20x2 for my Prime. An extended listening session with both the 2M Black and Dynavector made the choice for me. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Hell ya...:thumbsup:

See those MC's have a dynamic sound don't they?