AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Vibration-Resistant Turntables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40869)

vintage_tube 10-27-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepress (Post 875439)
I haven't found any info on the Gingko platforms regarding weight capacity yet, but perhaps they'd be an alternative. They seem large enough, depending upon which one you choose, and in many cases are less expensive than the platform offered by Pro-ject.

Ginko platform carrying capacity is determined by the number of balls used. Each ball suspends 10 pounds of weight optimally (up to around 20 pounds per). Add more balls as determined by your equipment weight.

Call Mr Vu and he'll get you set up.

Had one years ago - worked well, but IIRC the TT still had some springiness to it from footfalls, but; better than just being on the credenza.

Best Sirs,

Bob

prepress 11-01-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 875475)
Ginko platform carrying capacity is determined by the number of balls used. Each ball suspends 10 pounds of weight optimally (up to around 20 pounds per). Add more balls as determined by your equipment weight.

Call Mr Vu and he'll get you set up.

Had one years ago - worked well, but IIRC the TT still had some springiness to it from footfalls, but; better than just being on the credenza.

Best Sirs,

Bob

I will keep this in mind going forward.

Perhaps one reason I don't play records much, other than the time factor, is the footfall issue. I think that's driving this search for something better suited to my circumstances. If I balk and choose to move on SACD or speakers instead I could still get a platform for the current VPI and see if that helps; it weighs around 60 lbs.

I still favor a detachable headshell (spoiled by my SME 309), which takes me to Pro-ject's Signature line. The Signatures don't come with a dustcover, adding to the TT's cost (bummer). There are the "SuperPack" versions, with cartridge, and the Signature 10 SuperPack is $7K; the regular Signature 10 (no cartridge) is $6K. That's still a lot, and I don't know if I'd play enough records to justify that expense. The Xtension 10 SuperPack, on the other hand, is $4K and the Xtension 12 SuperPack is $5K, both WITH dustcover. If I can get past the lack of a removable headshell I will do better. I'm not there yet.

Time will tell if I feel more strongly about my TT, SACD, or speakers. I can't afford to do them all; it's probably one or none. But I do like the idea of the Xtension 10 so far, as it seems to have good vibration-resistance.

prepress 11-04-2017 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've sent an e-mail off to Sumiko, Pro-Ject's USA distributor, asking about additional costs involved in substituting an Ortofon TA-110 or SME 309 arm on the Xtension 10, as I really do prefer the detachable headshell. We'll see what they say.

Meantime, I'd forgotten about the Sotas. I'm keeping an eye on them too, namely the Sapphire and this Star/Nova.

prepress 11-07-2017 05:41 PM

Well, I got a reply from Sumiko. The Xtension 10 comes with the Evolution arm only. If I want a different arm I'd have to go to the Xtension 12, where I could choose no arm or select Ortofon arms (not much discount with no arm, however). The TA-110 on an Xtension 12 would run me about $4400 and represents a custom order; it would take three to four months to get it.

prepress 11-10-2017 07:25 AM

A follow-up e-mail from Pro-Ject reveals that vibration resistance is about the same between the Xtension 10 and 12, since they're about the same weight. The main advantage to the 12 is the 12" arm. Aren't longer arms supposed to track better, or something like that?

The Ortofon TA-110 and 210 are supposed to have good vibration damping due in part to the rubber compound inserted into the arm. The 110 is a 9" arm, so theoretically the 210 is better. So if money isn't a big issue by the time I'm ready, it looks like an Xtension12 with a 210 arm. But I like the look of the 110 a bit better.

W9TR 11-10-2017 08:46 AM

12" arms have lower tracing distortion than 9" arms. I love my 12" arm.
They generally have higher effective mass, so you should check to make sure your cartridge is compatible.
There is a calculator on the vinyl engine website that will tell if you if you have an ideal combination.
You are looking for an arm-cartridge resonant frequency between 8 Hz and 11 Hz. Any lower and footfalls are amplified, any higher and the bass gets flabby.

Mass is your friend if you are having footfall issues. The rotating mass of my turntable is 50 pounds. That's just the platter mind you, the rest of the turntable weighs more.

Good luck on your journey!

Tom

prepress 11-11-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 878645)
12" arms have lower tracing distortion than 9" arms. I love my 12" arm.
They generally have higher effective mass, so you should check to make sure your cartridge is compatible.
There is a calculator on the vinyl engine website that will tell if you if you have an ideal combination.
You are looking for an arm-cartridge resonant frequency between 8 Hz and 11 Hz. Any lower and footfalls are amplified, any higher and the bass gets flabby.

Mass is your friend if you are having footfall issues. The rotating mass of my turntable is 50 pounds. That's just the platter mind you, the rest of the turntable weighs more.

Good luck on your journey!

Tom

It is a journey. Well spoken. And it just got more complicated. I've mentioned I was also considering SACD and speaker changes; I went to the NY Audio Show yesterday and came away with the knowledge that I can get a Marantz SA-10 for a really good price, and I still want Legacy Focus SE speakers, though Bryston Model Ts would be good substitutes. I cannot do all three; I'd have to empty my bank account (literally).

I also explore an isolation platform for my current (or future) TT and have been in contact with Gingko. That could be a short-term action (provided it works) while I try to fix my head and make sensible decisions going forward.

W9TR 11-11-2017 08:23 AM

It's sure hard to make these tradeoffs! Your existing turntable is no slouch so trying some additional isolation would open up funds for other upgrades.

prepress 11-15-2017 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 878858)
It's sure hard to make these tradeoffs! Your existing turntable is no slouch so trying some additional isolation would open up funds for other upgrades.

I have ordered a Cloud 11 for VPI Classic from Gingko. This will at least delay if not eliminate the hunt for a new TT if it works or at least mitigates the problem. I corresponded with Vinh Vu of Gingko via e-mail, and the agreement was that this particular platform will work as far as supporting my HW-19 Mk.IV. I'm also to be getting a couple of extra balls to increase its capacity to 80 lbs, just in case (it comes with six, meaning it supports 60 lbs).

I'm to allow four weeks for delivery; Mr. Vu said he will make sure the platform arrives within that time, as I'm headed south for the holidays 12/18.

Down Under 11-16-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepress (Post 879720)
I have ordered a Cloud 11 for VPI Classic from Gingko. This will at least delay if not eliminate the hunt for a new TT if it works or at least mitigates the problem. I corresponded with Vinh Vu of Gingko via e-mail, and the agreement was that this particular platform will work as far as supporting my HW-19 Mk.IV. I'm also to be getting a couple of extra balls to increase its capacity to 80 lbs, just in case (it comes with six, meaning it supports 60 lbs).

I'm to allow four weeks for delivery; Mr. Vu said he will make sure the platform arrives within that time, as I'm headed south for the holidays 12/18.

I had a Gingko platform under my Superscoutmaster and it made a very substantial difference.
You will not be disappointed and the value for money improvement is high.