AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Shindo boys on the upgrade route.... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9749)

sibelius 09-05-2011 01:58 PM

There is just something special about well implemented Field Coils. It's probably not a coincidence that the two best speakers I've ever heard (Shindo Latour and Lotus Granada) both incorporate Field Coils. Listening to my first Field Coil speaker was similar to listening to my first SET amp. There was this sense of immediacy that was spooky. It continues to amaze me that much of what we consider high end audio was originally developed 80+ years ago.

TommyC 09-05-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect (Post 201599)
Yes, the Petite Latour and Petite 604 are each available in Alnico and Field Coil - each one is a different size, due to the size of the 15" woofer used in the 604 version. Petite Latour uses 12" woofer.

The Petite Alnico Latours starts at $29.9k pr., at this time. Rough dimensions, offhand, are approximately 17+"w x 40+"h x 17+"d

-M

Thanks. I will keep this in mind :yes:

JohnThomas 09-05-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect (Post 201599)
Yes, the Petite Latour and Petite 604 are each available in Alnico and Field Coil - each one is a different size, due to the size of the 15" woofer used in the 604 version. Petite Latour uses 12" woofer.

The Petite Alnico Latours starts at $29.9k pr., at this time. Rough dimensions, offhand, are approximately 17+"w x 40+"h x 17+"d

-M

A couple of questions. Everybody on this forum talks about Shindo system sounds better with an all Shindo system. But no one has purchased Shindo speakers. Is it because their to expensive or are Tannoy,Devore, etc better speakers? Or is the magic with the amp and premamp?

What's the sound difference between the Latour and 604? I'm guessing the 604 is their entry level. Thanks.

pitch perfect 09-05-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnThomas (Post 201753)
A couple of questions. Everybody on this forum talks about Shindo system sounds better with an all Shindo system. But no one has purchased Shindo speakers. Is it because their to expensive or are Tannoy,Devore, etc better speakers? Or is the magic with the amp and premamp?

What's the sound difference between the Latour and 604? I'm guessing the 604 is their entry level. Thanks.

A full Shindo system will allow you to hear what the designer truly intended - like most complete systems. That being said, a Shindo preamp installed within the context of a well designed setup will improve the performance of that system. :thumbsup:

I have personally sold/installed dozens of Shindo speakers - A less pricey alternative would be other brands, of course. Not everyone can spend $29.9k, or more , on a pair of speakers, :no: hence the appeal of $7,500 DeVore Nines or Orangutans O/96's, etc. :yes:

Shindo doesn't make an 'entry level' speaker, per se, it depends on your associated equipment, listening style, preference, room dimensions, etc.

-Matt

Jerome W 09-05-2011 06:08 PM

Matt,
May I ask you :
What is the price of the top of the line Shindo system : TT, preamp, amp, speakers and cables ?
how many of those did you sell in the US ?
Cheers,

JohnThomas 09-05-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect (Post 201756)
A full Shindo system will allow you to hear what the designer truly intended - like most complete systems. That being said, a Shindo preamp installed within the context of a well designed setup will improve the performance of that system. :thumbsup:

I have personally sold/installed dozens of Shindo speakers - A less pricey alternative would be other brands, of course. Not everyone can spend $29.9k, or more , on a pair of speakers, :no: hence the appeal of $7,500 DeVore Nines or Orangutans O/96's, etc. :yes:

Shindo doesn't make an 'entry level' speaker, per se, it depends on your associated equipment, listening style, preference, room dimensions, etc.

-Matt

I understand not everyone can spend $29K on speakers but on this forum there are some heavy hitters that change systems like the seasons. So it must also come down to looks and personal preference of what another speaker brand can do better. I like to hear from current Shindo owners what made them chose a different speaker brand (whether, price,sound, looks, good deal or all of the above)

chessman 09-05-2011 08:49 PM

I have a feeling that the latour cabinet appearance is off-putting to some.

baddog 09-05-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnThomas (Post 201863)
I understand not everyone can spend $29K on speakers but on this forum there are some heavy hitters that change systems like the seasons. So it must also come down to looks and personal preference of what another speaker brand can do better. I like to hear from current Shindo owners what made them chose a different speaker brand (whether, price,sound, looks, good deal or all of the above)

I spent several hours at Matt's place and heard a variety of equipment. I got to hear both the Devore Nine's as well as the Shindo Latours. I can tell you, if I could afford it, I would purchase the Shindo Latours. That being said, I went with the Devore O/96 speakers and am very happy with the purchase.

Barr

pitch perfect 09-05-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 201888)
I have a feeling that the latour cabinet appearance is off-putting to some.

..for those who have actually physically seen them in person and, more importantly, have listened to them - every other speaker ends up being a stop gap.

-M

baddog 09-05-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchperfect (Post 201896)
..for those who have actually physically seen them in person and, more importantly, have listened to them - every other speaker ends up being a stop gap.

-M

As one who has seen and heard them in person, I would have to agree with this assessment, they truly are "bad boys"...

Barr