AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Esoteric UX-3 Needs Alignment Jig? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45260)

stereo_5 03-02-2019 07:57 PM

Esoteric UX-3 Needs Alignment Jig?

A friend has a UX 3 that will not read discs. He was told by Tap Electronics that it has to be shipped to Japan to repair as it needs some special alignment jig. The shipping cost alone is $1600.00! I also own a UX 3 and I am worried my unit may suffer the same fate. I purcased this very expensive $8500.00 (in 2008) player thinking this is my last player. My questions are:

1. Why so expensive to Japan as I personally can fly there for less than a grand?

2. Why doesn’t Tap Electronics have the various jigs needed to repair Esoteric
equipment?

3. How can Esoteric justify not taking care of their customers by not having the
Authorized service center for the USA have the jigs?

4. How can Esoteric justify the prices they charge for their equipment if they
Need to be shipped to Japan for repair?

5. Why aren’t potential customers told of this before they commit to
Purchasing?

6. Why do the Esoteric dealers in the USA allow this?

I am extremely disappointed with Esoteric.

What do you think?

stereo_5 03-09-2019 12:59 PM

I can’t believe no one has an opinion about this!

crwilli 03-09-2019 01:23 PM

Why not try contacting Esoteric USA (TEAC) and bypass Tap Electronixs (I assume they are a middleman).

cleeds 03-09-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereo_5 (Post 955717)
... The shipping cost alone is $1600.00! ... I am extremely disappointed with Esoteric. What do you think?

I think that the $1,600 quote to ship this to Japan is a dubious claim. Sorry. As for being disappointed with Esoteric: Have you or your friend contacted them? if not, it seems only fair to give them a chance to respond. Your friend should also contact his dealer for assistance.

Masterlu 03-09-2019 03:48 PM

Esoteric reads our forum, rest assured they see this.

SCAudiophile 03-09-2019 07:06 PM

That shipping amount is off for shipping to Japan, there are options that while not 1 to 2 days, will get it there safely.

Ivan, as a dealer, can you put some leverage to Esoteric on this question? Clearly this can come up again with other models. What happened to the Montebello CA repair location that while they could not fix everything, could at least bear the cost of getting parts and assemblies from Japan?

Esoteric: are you out there? Any comment?

Masterlu 03-09-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCAudiophile (Post 956727)
That shipping amount is off for shipping to Japan, there are options that while not 1 to 2 days, will get it there safely.

Ivan, as a dealer, can you put some leverage to Esoteric on this question? Clearly this can come up again with other models. What happened to the Montebello CA repair location that while they could not fix everything, could at least bear the cost of getting parts and assemblies from Japan?

Esoteric: are you out there? Any comment?

Nope, this has to follow managements protocol.

SCAudiophile 03-09-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 956730)
Nope, this has to follow managements protocol.

Got it, thanks.

crwilli 03-09-2019 09:49 PM

Ivan, who could he contact at Esoteric to insure that process is engaged?

Masterlu 03-09-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 956741)
Ivan, who could he contact at Esoteric to insure that process is engaged?

Scott Sefton via his Esoteric dealer.