AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Horror of Horrors - A Modified McIntosh MVP871 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=3035)

AudioNut 12-27-2009 09:37 AM

Horror of Horrors - A Modified McIntosh MVP871

I must publicly confess . . . I have committed an unpardonable sin for which you McIntosh purists will probably demand my immediate excommunication from Audio Aficionado and strip me of my self proclaimed title of Senior Audiophile.

I bought a brand new piece of McIntosh gear and sent it to the audio equivalent of a chop shop, otherwise known as an equipment modifier.

Several weeks ago, I posted on AA a copy of a review, posted by someone else on AudioKarma - http://audioaficionado.org/49819-post22.html - extolling the virtues of a McIntosh MVP871 which was modified by The Upgrade Company.

I read the review several times, contacted the author and several other individuals who had experienced Upgrade Company modifications, found them all to be extremely pleased, and decided to bite the bullet myself.

As you are no doubt aware, brand new MVP871 machines have recently been offered on Audiogon for around $2,000 - not a bad price for a really excellent universal player which had originally sold for $5,500.

Anyway, I purchased a new MVP871 for $2,000, had it sent to David at the Upgrade Company for his SE mods and I am absolutely astonished.

I really don't know how good the machine is in comparison to the MCD500, or other Mc machines, but I can tell you from long experience, that the modified 871 is one of the best sounding CD/SACD players I've ever listened to. (I'm using it along with SF Mementos, McIntosh MA7000, and JL Audio F112 sub)

I actually replaced an Esoteric UX-3 with the machine because, when I installed the Mac machine in my system, the modified Mac left the Esoteric in the dust. I also believe that it sounds better than the Esoteric X-03 (modified - by Reference Audio Mods) that resides in my "other" system.

I fully believe that the 871 images better than any other machine I've owned. Male and Female voices are extremely realistic. When you start a disc with a solo singer, magically the singer actually stands up in front of you and opens his/her mouth and starts to sing. Vocal groups are spread out in front of you - just like the real thing. Orchestral music is incredibly lifelike. Instruments are properly placed and sound like they are supposed to sound. Resolution is exemplary, the total picture is one of refinement. Not too bright, not too dull, just right.

For a total cost of slightly under $3000,(The modifications were $995, and took less than a week to perform.) I believe I have a truly superior machine. The 871 does not have several features that the MCD500 offers; but it does play HDCD and DVD's as well as CD and SACD.

I really feel that the Upgrade Company worked magic on the, already very good, machine and has turned it into a truly world class player. I would heartily recommend that you take a look at The Upgrade Company - CD player, preamplifier, amplifier, mods, modifications, upgrades, Esoteric, EMM LABS, Mark Levinson, Linn, Denon, and more!

:roots: :roots: :roots: :roots::roots: :roots::roots: :roots: AND MUCH MORE!!!

jdandy 12-27-2009 10:14 AM

Julian.......WHAT THE F>>>? I'm just pulling your leg. We have already talked about this, and I am good with the idea. For a total price of $2995.00, you now have a universal player that thrills you. How can you go wrong? It would be very interesting to put your modified MVP871 head to head with the MCD500, or even the MCD/MDA1000, and listen for any differences. The bottom line is that you are pleased. That's what counts the most.

Still-One 12-27-2009 11:17 AM

I have no problem with anyone trying to improve the sound of their system. Some things work and some do not. It looks like you are happy with the results and as you note having the ability to play DVD-Audio discs and HDCD encoded discs is a real plus. There was a Swedish website (in English) that used to catalog all HDCD titles but I cannot seem to locate it now.

Gordon 12-27-2009 12:09 PM

A thought just went through my head. Once the MDA2K comes out, the MDA1K's value will or already has dropped. I'm wondering if the MDA1K would be a good candidate for one of these upgrades.

Just thinking out loud here, so don't shoot! :D

Gordon

vintage_tube 12-27-2009 12:12 PM

I have an audio friend in Ohio that sends practically everything he buys used (CD players and some amps) to David at TUC & is very happy with the results. Of course, he swears by the improvements made (I've never heard his rig - that changes month to month; however, he visited me a year ago while scouting colleges for his daughter).

David is recognized by at least one company that I know of (Esoteric) that is authorized to make modifications w/o voiding the warranty.

From TUC website:

"The Upgrade Company continues to constantly improve upon today's so called "State of the Art". For every 6 month period over the past 2 years our upgrades have improved by about 50% over the previous 6 month period. This says that our upgrades are more then twice as good in now in December 2009 over December 2007. For every $1,000 invested into our upgrades, we guarantee that you will receive a minimum of $10,000 dollars back in performance in terms of retail dollars. For every $1,500 invested you will receive a minimum of $20,000 in performance back in terms of retail dollars. We also guarantee that any one of our Signature Edition upgraded players will best any "modified" player from anywhere in the world, and do so with the utmost in reliability and serviceablity."

Vintage Pete 12-27-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 55800)
I have an audio friend in Ohio that sends practically everything he buys used (CD players and some amps) to David at TUC & is very happy with the results. Of course, he swears by the improvements made (I've never heard his rig - that changes month to month; however, he visited me a year ago while scouting colleges for his daughter).

David is recognized by at least one company that I know of (Esoteric) that is authorized to make modifications w/o voiding the warranty.

From TUC website:

"The Upgrade Company continues to constantly improve upon today's so called "State of the Art". For every 6 month period over the past 2 years our upgrades have improved by about 50% over the previous 6 month period. This says that our upgrades are more then twice as good in now in December 2009 over December 2007. For every $1,000 invested into our upgrades, we guarantee that you will receive a minimum of $10,000 dollars back in performance in terms of retail dollars. For every $1,500 invested you will receive a minimum of $20,000 in performance back in terms of retail dollars. We also guarantee that any one of our Signature Edition upgraded players will best any "modified" player from anywhere in the world, and do so with the utmost in reliability and serviceablity."

I'd say they have confidence in their work.....

Shoot, I wouldn't mind having a stock MVP871!

Pete

two dot 12-27-2009 01:13 PM

I wonder what kind of magic they could work on my trusty old MVP851???

Might have to give them a call...

KMC45 12-27-2009 02:34 PM

Did you listen to this unit before you sent it off to this company. Have you compared your unit with a stock MVP871. Do you know what was done to your MVP871 during the upgrade.

Read those claims posted above and ask yourself how they can even be made. Invest $1,500 in upgrades and you will receive a minimum of $20,000 in performance back in retail dollars. How does that work, how is that proved.

I've been reading a thread on another forum/AVS about this company, and it's owner. While I have no dog in this fight i'd suggest anyone considering these upgrades to read the thread.

Dj_AmTraX 12-27-2009 02:59 PM

I wonder what they can do to a MCD205. I love this changer and it now goes for under a $1000 on the used market. When I had the MCD205, I compared it to my SCD-1 and the results were surprising. The MCD205 was almost as good.

2112 12-27-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMC45 (Post 55810)
Did you listen to this unit before you sent it off to this company. Have you compared your unit with a stock MVP871. Do you know what was done to your MVP871 during the upgrade.

Read those claims posted above and ask yourself how they can even be made. Invest $1,500 in upgrades and you will receive a minimum of $20,000 in performance back in retail dollars. How does that work, how is that proved.

I've been reading a thread on another forum/AVS about this company, and it's owner. While I have no dog in this fight i'd suggest anyone considering these upgrades to read the thread.

Where is the other thread? AK?