AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Upgrade Advice (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48551)

mat.1 08-30-2020 11:27 PM

Upgrade Advice

Hi i have denali V2 with sigma EF. and audio research ref 6 standard power cord.
what is the possible upgrade , and budget is limited.

Is the NR or XC the same?
if the same better use NR as it can be use on Denali or Ref6 .

Thanks.

2fastdriving 08-31-2020 12:15 AM

You don't need to use the NR if you have the Denali. You can put an EF or XC from the wall to the Denali, and another one to the ref6. In fact, you don't "need" to use a Sigma from the Denali to the ref6, but you should get something in there to replace the stock cord.

mat.1 08-31-2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 1013084)
You don't need to use the NR if you have the Denali. You can put an EF or XC from the wall to the Denali, and another one to the ref6. In fact, you don't "need" to use a Sigma from the Denali to the ref6, but you should get something in there to replace the stock cord.

THANKS.

Do you mean Use existing Sigma ef, and add another XC line to ref 6 ?

2fastdriving 08-31-2020 01:49 AM

Yes. And I believe that you would want to put your best cord from the wall to the Denali, and second best to the ref6 (if not equal)

sander 08-31-2020 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mat.1 (Post 1013083)
Hi i have denali V2 with sigma EF. and audio research ref 6 standard power cord.

what is the possible upgrade , and budget is limited.

Is the NR or XC the same?

if the same better use NR as it can be use on Denali or Ref6 .

Thanks.

If your budget is limited, I would keep the Sigma where it’s at.
It is the former top of the line.
And replace the stock power cord of your REF 6 with an Alpha NR V2.
That would make a bigger change to your overall SQ I suspect.

2fastdriving 08-31-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sander (Post 1013095)
If your budget is limited, I would keep the Sigma where it’s at.
It is the former top of the line.
And replace the stock power cord of your REF 6 with an Alpha NR V2.
That would make a bigger change to your overall SQ I suspect.

My understanding is that NR is not needed at all when using a conditioner. But I defer to Caelin or someone more knowledgable on this.

Still-One 08-31-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 1013112)
My understanding is that NR is not needed at all when using a conditioner. But I defer to Caelin or someone more knowledgable on this.

In my back and forth with Caelin he did suggest that I use a Sigma NR between my DAC and the Everest. I am demoing one now. I will also be demoing a Delta NR between my Upsampler and the Everest in a day or so. I didn't want to inject too many variables at one time.

2fastdriving 08-31-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 1013131)
In my back and forth with Caelin he did suggest that I use a Sigma NR between my DAC and the Everest. I am demo one now. I will also be demoing a Delta NR between my Upsampler and the Everest in a day or so. I didn't want to inject too many variables at one time.

How do you like the Everest in general, and what did you have before that? Now you got me curious!

Still-One 08-31-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 1013132)
How do you like the Everest in general, and what did you have before that? Now you got me curious!

I have had the Everest about a month now. That replaced a Denali 6000T. My Sigma XC only arrived Friday (that is when I also picked up the two demo cables) and replaced the Alpha HC I had been using with Denali.

The Everest is a step up from the Denali and I did not expect the large initial improvement in overall SQ I heard on Friday when I inserted the Sigma XC. That was several hours of some of the best sound I have heard from any set-up. Not sure what happened overnight bu Saturday's session had lost a bit of the magic. By Sunday most of it was back. Late Sunday I removed the Alpha NR going to my DAC and connected the demo Sigma v2 NR and have been blissfully listening ever since.

sander 08-31-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 1013112)

That is true for the powercord from wall to conditioner.
The conditioner is dealing with the noise coming from the wall.
The NR powercords are dealing with the noise coming from the equipment themselves.