AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   New DAC (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40683)

John Jordan 10-02-2017 06:30 PM

New DAC

All-

I am considering upgrading my current DAC (Mc C2500 build in). This comes on the heels of a possible pre-amp upgrade that will not have a built in DAC. Another story but for now I am concentrating on the DAC end of this "upgrade equation."

One that strikes is the Benchmark series. I know at least one other member has been very happy with the Benchmark DAC's.

Might anyone be able to offer a suggestion or two?

Thanks!

W9TR 10-02-2017 07:07 PM

Hi John,
You'll get as many DAC recommendations as there are DAC's out there.

Around the $2000 price point I'd look at:
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Schiit Ygdrasil
Mytec Brooklyn
Chord Cordette 2Qute

Why did I choose this price point? The performance of these DAC's is outstanding. DAC's are moving up the price/performance curve very rapidly, where a $2000 DAC today will best a $5000 to $10000 DAC just a few years older.

So to me they represent a great interim solution. Get something great right now, and then replace it with something much better in a few years, probably at an even lower price point.

Tom

P.S. I'm on my second Benchmark DAC, the DAC3 HGC. Love it.

1KW 10-02-2017 07:25 PM

D1100

JMD 10-02-2017 07:36 PM

John

What kind of price cap are you looking at? Also whether or not DSD is important to you or not or even MQA will narrow down the market quite a bit after you have a price target.

jdandy 10-02-2017 08:29 PM

John.......You might want to give serious consideration to the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. It has been favorably compared to the Benchmark DAC in a couple reviews I read. What sets it above the Benchmark in this price range are its features, most notably full MQA decoding. There are also line inputs, both analog and digital volume control or full bypass, single ended and balanced headphone outputs, and other unique features that make the Mytek Brooklyn DAC quite attractive at $1995.00. It is available in Black or Silver.

http://www.imaico.co.jp/mytek/mytek_...klyn_front.jpg

W9TR 10-02-2017 08:54 PM

+1
Quote:

John.......You might want to give serious consideration to the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. It has been favorably compared to the Benchmark DAC in a couple reviews I read. What sets it above the Benchmark in this price range are its features, most notably full MQA decoding. There are also line inputs, both analog and digital volume control or full bypass, single ended and balanced headphone outputs, and other unique features that make the Mytek Brooklyn DAC quite attractive at $1995.00. It is available in Silver or Black.

John Jordan 10-02-2017 09:29 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I will check out the Brooklyn. W9TR and Dan, I like your logic with the $2K price range.

I do ripped CD's in the AIFF format using a 2010 MacBook Pro for playback. Cd's spun on the 205 do have an edge. I question HI REZ downloads of music recorded decades ago.

I'm taking this slowly as it all changes so quickly. I am also considering a used previous generation DAC (such as BNMK 2 Series) as a possibility. I guess next is to hear the pre-amp of consideration. That's a ride and a different thread away. I think you guys know what I am thinking!

Dr Tone 10-03-2017 12:36 PM

Less than $2K price, I'd go with the Ayre Codex.

Mikeylee 10-03-2017 12:43 PM

I am a fan of the Simaudio Moon 280d which is in your price range.

EfeTe 10-03-2017 10:32 PM

If you can find a good deal on it, IMHO the PS Audio DirectStream Junior would compete with (if not best) all of the great ones having been thrown here.