AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   What is an appropriate speaker value relative to the rest of your system? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39305)

Grasshopper 05-06-2017 07:47 PM

What is an appropriate speaker value relative to the rest of your system?

Question- say with a $25k, or even $50k budget, what is the appropriate % allocated to the speakers?

I've seen it both ways, where folks get the most speakers they can afford, so say 75% of the budget in speakers, or the flip side where most of the budget is in gear, leaving much less for speakers.

What is your "ideal" speaker budget allocation as a % of your overall system?

Garytn 05-07-2017 09:12 AM

What is an appropriate speaker value relative to the rest of your system?

This is a potential can-of-worms, so I will answer by referring to a well known audio writer/reviewer. Robert Harley in his book The Complete Guide To High End Audio (a good read BTW) sets up a hypothetical system with the following percentages - speakers 36%, amp & pre 36%, one source 12%, AC cords and conditioning 9%, and interconnects 6%.

Then he goes on at great length to give arguments and examples where those %'s are not a hard line to follow. Don't get too balled up in it. I suggest hitting an even balance between value of speakers to amplification. But remember, any weakness in the source component is there no matter what. Of course, as system upgrades proceed the %'s will change.

I also think Harley should have included room treatment. My experience is that is a very important element. That varies with what your room acoustics are.

1KW 05-07-2017 09:15 AM

Everything is really important but i would find the best speakers you can afford first since these are the hardest to resell

bart 05-07-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 845640)
Everything is really important but i would find the best speakers you can afford first since these are the hardest to resell

Good advice!
And good luck with selling your beautiful Elipsas David!

Cohibaman 05-07-2017 01:01 PM

In my opinion, speakers are the most personal part of a system and will have the largest impact on whether or not YOU like a system. My advice, take a lot of time to listen to different brands and models before you make a selection. You should also have a good idea of which amp(s) you'll want to use so you can make sure there's descent synergy. Some speakers sound really good with some amps; others simply sound ok or even downright bad.

A pair of speakers with a high sticker price doesn't automatically guaranty musical nirvana to your ears or mean they'll sound any better than a pair that's half the price or even less. Say for instance you select a pair that you don't like the voice on - no amount of money spent on amps, preamps or sources will cure the problem.

The Esoteric system at AXPONA is a perfect example of a relatively inexpensive pair of speakers that sound fantastic with high-end, expensive electronics - The Esoteric Grandioso F1 Integrated amplifier, the Grandioso G1 Master Clock, and the Grandioso K-1 SACD/CD player (total list price for the three is just over $75k) driving a $15.6k pair of Canton Reference 3K speakers. There was a great synergy with this system and the speakers didn't break the bank, coming in at less than 20% of the system cost!

I heard them only for a short while, so I'm very much looking forward to Ivan's opinion of them (Ivan's got a pair coming in for evaluation, and depending on how they sound, he may begin selling them).

Still-One 05-07-2017 01:25 PM

I have always believed that you should choose the speakers that will work best in your room and get close to the sound you are looking for. My position is that fine speaker on less than top shelf electronics will give you better sound that a big box store speaker powered by excellent electronics. Second, get the amplifiers that fit in your budget that allows you to get the most out of your speakers. Now go after the front end source components that allow you to play the format(s) you desire. Last you can tweak the sound to your liking with cables, interconnects, platforms.........

The above assumes you have already done what you can to provide decent power to your room along with addressed any significant room issues.

2fastdriving 05-07-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 845676)
I have always believed that you should choose the speakers that will work best in your room and get close to the sound you are looking for. My position is that fine speaker on less than top shelf electronics will give you better sound that a big box store speaker powered by excellent electronics. Second, get the amplifiers that fit in your budget that allows you to get the most out of your speakers. Now go after the front end source components that allow you to play the format(s) you desire. Last you can tweak the sound to your liking with cables, interconnects, platforms.........

The above assumes you have already done what you can to provide decent power to your room along with addressed any significant room issues.

I am in this camp. But I've also seen systems with higher priced electronics and mid level speakers sound great.

Mikado463 05-07-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 845676)
My position is that a fine speaker on less than top shelf electronics will give you better sound that a big box store speaker powered by excellent electronics.

Agreed 100% Jim, thus the point that speakers make up the single biggest expense

Quote:

Second, get the amplifiers that fit in your budget that allows you to get the most out of your speakers.
agreed again ......

jdandy 05-07-2017 02:32 PM

In my studio system the speakers represent the single largest cost based on retail price ($30,000) and represents 28.5% of the system's retail value (McIntosh MC2301's, C1000C/P, Esoteric K-01X, Aurender N10, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario's).

If I also include the retail value of the McIntosh MR88 tuner, Michell Gyro SE turntable, SME 309 tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Never Connected PSU, PurePower 2000, Wireworld Silver Eclipse/Silver Electra/Platinum cables, Stillpoints Ultra Mini and Ultra SS, the speakers then become 22.62% of the system cost.

I have heard several dealers and others banter around the notion that a speaker budget should represent 30% to 40% of a sound system's value. A system's gear value not including speakers is so fluid and subject to grow at any given time by upgrading or adding. Quality speakers you are pleased with will usually remain in the system despite other upgrades. This will cause the speaker's percentage of value in relation to the system to change when upgrades or downsizing takes place. Personally, I don't think anything is written in stone. Every system is as different as their owners.

Masterlu 05-07-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 845678)
I am in this camp. But I've also seen systems with higher priced electronics and mid level speakers sound great.

Agreed, my all Grandioso rig powers Aerial 20T's or Dali Epicon 8's. It punches so much higher than it's weight, it is unbelievable!