AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   GSPRE or REF6? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39761)

pete6737 06-27-2017 02:41 PM

GSPRE or REF6?

Hello all, my arm has been twisted and I am taking advantage of the trade up program from audio research and I am thinking about trading my Ref5se and upgrading to the Ref6 to mate with my GS 150 amplifier. My dealer thinks I should get the GSPRE but I have read that sonically the Ref6 out performs it. So, without listening to the GSPRE I was hoping for a little input before I pull the trigger on one of these pieces. I do not have a turntable as yet. I toyed with the idea of getting a turntable but that has subsided since I got the esoteric K0x as my main source/ DAC. So taking the phono stage out of the equation what would be my best Avenue? Thanks in advance for any input, Pete

The Lost Bears 06-27-2017 03:18 PM

I own a Ref 5se and have heard the GSPre many times. IMO the Ref 5se is slightly better. I would think that the Ref 6 (which I have not seriously listen to because I want to keep my Ref 5se) would be even better.

I recently upgraded my phono preamp to a Ref Phono 2se and the combination is magical.

2fastdriving 06-27-2017 04:52 PM

Why in the world would your dealer steer you from a ref6 to a gspre? Time for a new dealer ;)

The Lost Bears 06-27-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 853126)
Why in the world would your dealer steer you from a ref6 to a gspre? Time for a new dealer ;)

Isn't the GSPre more expensive? Though it does have a phono section.

pete6737 06-27-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 853126)

Ha. My dealer and I have had a great relationship for the last 6 years and he knows me and my desire to One day have a high quality vinyl system and so he was thinking with the phonostage being built in that might be something I would like. I've been eyeballing the Ref6 and I believe that it will outperform the GSPRE. But even that phonostage is not on par with the Ref2se or Ref3 so I will get the Ref6 and decide if I want a turntable and get a high-quality rig later. It looks like I may get one Ref6 on order soon!

pete6737 06-27-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lost Bears (Post 853128)
Isn't the GSPre more expensive? Though it does have a phono section.

I think it's $1000 more than the Ref6. I believe you bought your Ref2 se from the marketplace. I was very close to pulling the trigger on that! But then I would Have had to wait to get a turntable and cartridge etc. so I chose to forgo the turntable route right now. Maybe next year I will pick up a used reference 3.

Garytn 06-27-2017 06:51 PM

I have a GSPre. Great pre amp. It is a good match with my GS150 (as you would expect). My reason for choosing it was also for the phono stage. Conventional wisdom is that separates will perform better. However, one also has to consider total cost, including cables. So the comparison is which sounds better, GSPre or separates at the same price level. My judgement was the GSPre made more sense sonically and financially. Of course if cost is no object I would move up the line.
My situation was likely different in that I was moving away from an integrated and was getting the whole ball of wax. So I had to look at total cost of amp, pre, and phono stage. I'm sure happy with where I've landed with the GS pair.

Audio 1 06-27-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete6737 (Post 853131)
Ha. My dealer and I have had a great relationship for the last 6 years and he knows me and my desire to One day have a high quality vinyl system and so he was thinking with the phonostage being built in that might be something I would like. I've been eyeballing the Ref6 and I believe that it will outperform the GSPRE. But even that phonostage is not on par with the Ref2se or Ref3 so I will get the Ref6 and decide if I want a turntable and get a high-quality rig later. It looks like I may get one Ref6 on order soon!

When you do look at phono stages down the road the ARC PH-9 is very good and way less than the Ref. 3 phono.
It does get very costly with all that is involved, but I do think you will have no regrets purchasing the REF. 6 :thumbsup:

The Lost Bears 06-27-2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete6737 (Post 853132)
I believe you bought your Ref2 se from the marketplace. I was very close to pulling the trigger on that! But then I would Have had to wait to get a turntable and cartridge etc. so I chose to forgo the turntable route right now. Maybe next year I will pick up a used reference 3.

I did and I couldn't be happier with it. It replaced my Fosgate Signature and it is just incredible.

Back in the late 1980's when I first got into high end audio, everyone told me vinyl is dying. If you don't have a large record collection don't bother getting a turntable. A few years ago I found my ClearAudio table used at my ARC dealer (He's also a ClearAudio dealer). It seemed like a great table at a great price so I jumped on it. I now listen to vinyl about 50% of the time. My biggest regret in audio is that I listened to everyone and didn't buy a table years ago.

rscotth 06-27-2017 10:26 PM

The ref6 is sonically superior then the ref5se. I've had them both driving ref250se's. Don't know a thing about GSPRE!