AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Is It Just Me... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38956)

1KW 03-28-2017 07:28 PM

Is It Just Me...

Both the Strads and Elipsa are discontinued :sigh: To me these are 2 of the best sounding speakers that Sonus Faber ever made. I went to hear the new Amati's today. They are less expensive than the outgoing Amati Futura's but with similar performance. I listened to both of them today and while they are both very attractive and have a more extended high end they did not sound quite as musical to me as the Franco Serbin models. Maybe I would learn to like them over time however I am used to a different sound. Anyone else notice the same thing ?

Masterlu 03-28-2017 07:42 PM

Strad's discontinued, what's the World coming to?

Still-One 03-28-2017 07:46 PM

David, I agree both the Stad's and Elipsa SE's were fine speakers. I was never a fan of the Futura's and felt they did not compete well at their price point. That said I do like the Lilium's and Il Cremonese though I haven''t heard the later too often.

The are having a Sonus Faber night this Thursday at Paragon. I will get to demo the new Amati line and see how it compares to the Futura's.

jdandy 03-28-2017 07:49 PM

David.......Exactly why my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario's will never leave my home while I am on this earth. I haven't heard the newest Amati but I have auditioned the Amati Futura which did not touch my soul like the Amati Anniversario. The last version of Sonus Faber reference speakers designed and voiced by Franco Serblin, the Amati Anniversario were one of his greatest achievements.

Douglas 03-29-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 839136)
David.......Exactly why my Sonus faber Amati Anniversario's will never leave my home while I am on this earth. I haven't heard the newest Amati but I have auditioned the Amati Futura which did not touch my soul like the Amati Anniversario. The last version of Sonus Faber reference speakers designed and voiced by Franco Serblin, the Amati Anniversario were one of his greatest achievements.

Dan....I feel exactly the same, my Strads will go to the grave with me. It's the first time ever that I am totally content with the sound of my system, from a speaker perspective. I do not analyse the sound in any way. I just enjoy the music.

jdandy 03-29-2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas (Post 839197)
Dan....I feel exactly the same, my Strads will go to the grave with me. It's the first time ever that I am totally content with the sound of my system, from a speaker perspective. I do not analyse the sound in any way. I just enjoy the music.

Douglas.......Sitting here in my studio doing exactly that, just enjoying the music.

The Lost Bears 03-29-2017 12:31 AM

The sound of my Elipsa SE continue to amaze me. They are going nowhere soon.

metaphacts 03-29-2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 839132)
Both the Strads and Elipsa are discontinued :sigh: To me these are 2 of the best sounding speakers that Sonus Faber ever made. I went to hear the new Amati's today. They are less expensive than the outgoing Amati Futura's but with similar performance. I listened to both of them today and while they are both very attractive and have a more extended high end they did not sound quite as musical to me as the Franco Serbin models. Maybe I would learn to like them over time however I am used to a different sound. Anyone else notice the same thing ?

David the Strad was Franco's last speaker at Sonus faber. Everything that followed was either Paolo being "mentored" by Franco or later Paolo himself. Those early Paolo designs - Memento, Anniversario and Elipsa still showed great Franco influence. Perhaps that why many mistakenly believe Franco designed them.

The latest Sf designs are certainly cut from a different cloth, though excellent in different ways.

There's a reason people hold onto Strads.

esteban 03-29-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 839202)
David the Strad was Franco's last speaker at Sonus faber. Everything that followed was either Paolo being "mentored" by Franco or later Paolo himself. Those early Paolo designs - Memento, Anniversario and Elipsa still showed great Franco influence. Perhaps that why many mistakenly believe Franco designed them.

The latest Sf designs are certainly cut from a different cloth, though excellent in different ways.

There's a reason people hold onto Strads.

:thumbsup: :yes:

.,.. 03-30-2017 04:33 AM

I have always wished that there would be a comparison between the Ktemas and Amati both masterpieces are from Franco himself.

Have heard both of these lovely speakers but it was in a tottaly different room and equipments.