AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Time Pieces (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   ERA Prometheus Tourbillon (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44074)

Masterlu 10-31-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 938183)
Wow! That’s amazing. My Rolex loses a minute a month. I’m not very happy with its most recent $1,000 service by Rolex.

If you want to have a good time, you need a good watch. :D

Formerly YB-2 11-01-2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Wow! That’s amazing. My Rolex loses a minute a month. I’m not very happy with its most recent $1,000 service by Rolex.

Have you talked to Rolex about that? They should have been able to regulate it considerably better than 1min/mon.
But, the hassle of a mechanical watch is why my Rolex sits in a drawer and my IWC, Cima & Ferrari watches are all electronic. The Ferrari is ~1min/mon, but the others are a few seconds per year. If I want better than that I'll look at my phone. :yes:

1KW 11-01-2018 07:08 AM

To me a mechanical watch is more than just a time piece, it is "man" jewelry with the function of telling time. I would rather look at my wrist if I am in a meeting or with a patient checking a pulse then pull out my iPhone. I appreciate the mechanical movement that never needs a battery change and will keep working and wind itself . The +- 2 seconds a day that my sport watch keeps is not an issue since I change watches a few times a week. There is also the heirloom aspect as well. Knowing my father or grandfather wore a particular mechanical watch for decades before it was given to me or one of my son's is cool. There is something missing to me with a quartz watch, a inexpensive pulsar watch from the 80's might keep better time than a Rolex from the 80's but I would rather have the 80's submariner or daytona.

GreginNH1 11-01-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 938217)
Have you talked to Rolex about that? They should have been able to regulate it considerably better than 1min/mon.
But, the hassle of a mechanical watch is why my Rolex sits in a drawer and my IWC, Cima & Ferrari watches are all electronic. The Ferrari is ~1min/mon, but the others are a few seconds per year. If I want better than that I'll look at my phone. :yes:

I have had this watch for 25 years (GMT Master II). The other times I have had it serviced, there have been virtually no issues. It does have a 2 year warranty on the Rolex service so I will be sending it back.

Mikado463 11-01-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 938219)
To me a mechanical watch is more than just a time piece, it is "man" jewelry with the function of telling time. I would rather look at my wrist if I am in a meeting or with a patient checking a pulse then pull out my iPhone. I appreciate the mechanical movement that never needs a battery change and will keep working and wind itself . The +- 2 seconds a day that my sport watch keeps is not an issue since I change watches a few times a week. There is also the heirloom aspect as well. Knowing my father or grandfather wore a particular mechanical watch for decades before it was given to me or one of my son's is cool. There is something missing to me with a quartz watch, a inexpensive pulsar watch from the 80's might keep better time than a Rolex from the 80's but I would rather have the 80's submariner or daytona.

Well said David, I couldn't agree more.

With respect to time keeping shifts in mechanical watches, a minute a month either way on a 25 year old watch is no big deal IMO. Now a minute a week that's another issue. The majority of the time when a watch does have a issue like that all of a sudden it's usually due to it having become magnetized, easily reversed (degauss).

Formerly YB-2 11-02-2018 05:31 PM

Mechanical watches are like stick-shift automobiles. Something left over from another century. Next thing you know people will start listening to tubes. ;)

Masterlu 11-02-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 938452)
Mechanical watches are like stick-shift automobiles. Something left over from another century. Next thing you know people will start listening to tubes. ;)

How about wearing tubes. :p

https://pre00.deviantart.net/d383/th...he-d5vsn99.jpg

Mikado463 11-02-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 938452)

LOL Glenn, look in the mirror, I think you're a little 'left over from another century' as well !!

Cohibaman 11-02-2018 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Depending on how you set your watch down when you’re not wearing it, i.e., crown up, crown down, face up, face down, crown left, or crown right, it will typically run fast or slow in that position by a few seconds per day. If you are routinely setting it down in a manner that it loses a few seconds over night, that would account for your error over a month.

The trick is to figure out your particular watch and set it down at night with this in mind. I rarely take mine off even at night.

Attachment 57048

This is a generalization and might help, but it really is movement specific.

Mike

GreginNH1 11-03-2018 12:34 PM

Thanks Mike!

Like most guys, I have never read the manual!

I till try it out.

Greg