AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Nearfield speakers, or how do I get the better sound from A5+? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44089)

Mouse 10-16-2018 11:40 PM

Nearfield speakers, or how do I get the better sound from A5+?

Nearfield speakers, or how do I get the better sound from A5+?

I like my A5 speakers from Audioengine. I don't love them.
Other than a dragonfly red they I haven't done anything to improve them. Dragonfly red made quite the difference, but I'm still getting a little fatigue. (nothing like my paradigm though)

Are there other audiophile "nearfield" desktop speakers I should look at?
Would cables make a giant leap? Or do I need a different DAC?
What have you done with your A5 speakers? Or have you moved on from them?

doggiehowser 10-17-2018 03:16 AM

KEF LS50 Wireless.

Great imaging from the UniQ

The DSP handles desk placement.

And that digital crossover, quad DAC and quad amps is impressive. I can’t find anything for the small premium over the passive version that can outperform it. In fact I reckon you’d need 3x that premium to get a streamer DAC amp solution to better it.

And it’s Roon compatible.

mcpaf76 10-17-2018 06:51 AM

I found the dragonflies work great. Very smooth sounding Dac especially for the price. Unfortunately the nature of a desktop setup is that they're not going to sound that good until you actually get them off the desk, that's why I went with the setup I currently have bookshelf speakers on stands next to the desk. I've had audioengine speakers, while they're good speakers, I wouldn't waste any money on cabling the they aren't really good enough for it to make a difference, especially on a desktop. Plus only one speaker would be affected when you replace the speaker wire. I would definitely consider something like an LS50, also check out some of the new model KEF speakers and look into the dynaudio powered stuff some of it sounded great when I listened to it.

Mouse 10-17-2018 06:26 PM

LS50 is wireless, and the tweeter is aluminum? Is the tweeter fatiguing? Over the years I've developed a sensitivity to aluminum sounds.

And wireless? Do you connect your wirelessly or wired connections?
I don't like aluminum or wireless, but since you guys recommend it I'll be putting it on my list to check out for sure.

mcpaf76 10-18-2018 06:56 AM

Check out dynaudios wireless stuff. Tweeters are soft dome.

doggiehowser 10-18-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 936097)
LS50 is wireless, and the tweeter is aluminum? Is the tweeter fatiguing? Over the years I've developed a sensitivity to aluminum sounds.

And wireless? Do you connect your wirelessly or wired connections?
I don't like aluminum or wireless, but since you guys recommend it I'll be putting it on my list to check out for sure.

The wireless is a feature but it is best connected via Ethernet.

Mouse 10-22-2018 12:50 AM

I got further away from my PC and at 5 ft I can't hear the distortion and it's much easier on the ears. I may need stands.