AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   K-03,01-X often for sale, why? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36461)

ariess 07-17-2016 09:48 PM

K-03,01-X often for sale, why?

With curiosity I have been noticing how very often used K-03/X and K-01/X come up for sale here and on the other market place that starts with an A and rhymes with gigolodong.
At any one time there are usually have a dozen such used units for sale between the two sites which is a lot. At least this seems like more than I see for other source components at this level. Are users so happy with these units they are moving up the rank and selling the lower unit? Or are they dissatisfied? Or freeing up funds for a switch to vinyl?
It's rather perplexing given the high regard other owners hold these units in.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

ajdo 07-17-2016 10:07 PM

Did a quick search on AudioG...Noticed several K-03 and K-01 but not as many "x" as you suggested. Actually only one 220v version.
Audiophile who purchased the earlier version are moving up to "x" version and selling their K-03/01. Good time to get a great DAC at a great price if DSD is not your thing :yes:

aardvarkbark 07-17-2016 10:25 PM

I bought a 03X new earlier this year. Prior to that, I periodically checked the web to confirm pricing and see how much of a hit on price they took in the after-market. After I bought mine new, I continued to check out of curiosity. I could easily find a dozen 01's and 03's, but only a couple of times were they X's. I agree with ajdo that the 01's and 03's are most likely from folks moving up to X's.

2fastdriving 07-17-2016 10:44 PM

It's like anything else, there is always better, and people move up the chain when they can. Many have moved from the non-X to the X, which makes sense.

If you are fishing for some issues or problems with these units, you won't hear people complaining...they are amazing units for the price, in terms of looks, build quality, and of course, sound quality.

crwilli 07-17-2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 792679)
It's like anything else, there is always better, and people move up the chain when they can. Many have moved from the non-X to the X, which makes sense. If you are fishing for some issues or problems with these units, you won't hear people complaining...they are amazing units for the price, in terms of looks, build quality, and of course, sound quality.

+1

ariess 07-17-2016 10:45 PM

Well there are 3 K-01, a K-03 and a K-03X now on the other site and summer is slow but I know I have seen many used K-03X and K-01X on both sites over the last year. And resale tends at or below 50% which strikes me as lower than I'd expect. I didn't think the change to X was so great that owners would be taking such losses, 25% of the price at least, to buy the new and sell the old. Maybe Esoteric just has a much higher share of the market so it's just volume I am seeing?

ariess 07-17-2016 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 792679)
It's like anything else, there is always better, and people move up the chain when they can. Many have moved from the non-X to the X, which makes sense. If you are fishing for some issues or problems with these units, you won't hear people complaining...they are amazing units for the price, in terms of looks, build quality, and of course, sound quality.

I have read great things so I don't expect issues. Just trying to understand this niche of the marketplace.

I would love to try one in my system. If they are as great as owners say, I could probably swing a K-03X or K-01X. The problem is this is too much $$$ and my system is too mature to buy without an audition. And I don't know any Esoteric dealers willing to let a serious person audition one, certainly none local enough to drive over, borrow the unit, and drive it back. Feel free to PM me if you have an idea for me.

2fastdriving 07-17-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariess (Post 792686)
I have read great things so I don't expect issues. Just trying to understand this niche of the marketplace.

I would love to try one in my system. If they are as great as owners say, I could probably swing a K-03X or K-01X. The problem is this is too much $$$ and my system is too mature to buy without an audition. And I don't know any Esoteric dealers willing to let a serious person audition one, certainly none local enough to drive over, borrow the unit, and drive it back. Feel free to PM me if you have an idea for me.

I don't have an idea for you, but with a system as resolving as yours, I personally feel that even the K-03x is a step up from the CD9. The K-01x would be in a different league. IMHO. If you can afford it, I don't see how you can go wrong. I have never heard of a person not liking a K-03 or K-01.:thumbsup:

Masterlu 07-17-2016 11:49 PM

I sold the last few new X players in the Country this week past. Next allocations are a few weeks away; by the time they clear customs, they will all be spoken for.

jameslrock 07-18-2016 12:01 AM

I am one who went from the K-03 to the K-03x but interesting that I get little of the benefit of the "X" since I rarely play DSD. I am keeping my K-03X indefinitely for the DAC and the SACD so I am not concerned about changing or selling for anything else. Quite frankly I have no desire to know how I could improve relative to cost and performance. This whole thread to me is a non starter.