AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustic Sciences Corporation (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   ASC Tube Traps Are The Real Deal (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=7144)

chessman 02-09-2011 10:31 PM

ASC Tube Traps Are The Real Deal

As I mentioned in the other thread I have acquired nine 3' x 11" full rounds, two 3' x 11" half rounds, and two 3' x 16" full rounds. Five pairs are stacked as columns (one in each corner with the 16" column centered on the back wall), one 3' x 11" full round adjacent to a stair well (half wall) and the two half-rounds stacked at a midpoint on the left side wall.

The resulting improvement in sound quality has been remarkable. In short, the sound is much more musical and realistic. I will try to give some concrete examples, as follows:

1) The speakers almost always disappear. The sound seems to be ambient, rather than coming out of little boxes. The sound stage has widened.

2) Now that the decay time on the bass notes has evened out, the highs no longer seem rolled off at low volume.

3) Detail in the mid-range has improved so much that I can hear new things in old familiar CD's.

4) Dynamic punch is so improved that I have more punch at lower volumes than before. A kick drum kicks you in the chest even at moderate volume.

5) Although I know it's not possible, it seems like the mains play an octave lower than before. I suspect they always played this low, but the uneven decay time was creating a bit of the dreaded "one note bass" which was drowning out the lower register. I actually checked to make sure I wasn't running through the DVD port, which would kick in the subs. They were not even on and I broke into a huge grin.

In short, ASC tube traps are the real deal. :thumbsup:

Masterlu 02-09-2011 10:45 PM

Howard will chime in soon, he just got his today. :yes:

hkval 02-09-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 140130)
Howard will chime in soon, he just got his today. :yes:

UPS delivers after 4pm. I set them up and took pictures but listening will have to wait until Friday - New Salvatore Dali Museum in St. Petersburg for tomorrow. They look great.:thumbsup:
Howard

Masterlu 02-09-2011 11:11 PM

Pictures? I don't see any pictures... :)

hkval 02-09-2011 11:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 140143)
Pictures? I don't see any pictures... :)

I will not be able to listen to them until Friday but here are some photos. The black square is one of the bases I made so they will be above the molding and flush against the walls.
Howard

JFR0317 02-09-2011 11:47 PM

Very nice, HK!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BlueChiaro 02-09-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkval (Post 140157)
I will not be able to listen to them until Friday but here are some photos. The black square is one of the bases I made so they will be above the molding and flush against the walls.
Howard

Howard, they look great & integrate into the space so well. Enjoy the Dali visit. :yes:

BlueChiaro 02-09-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 140122)
As I mentioned in the other thread I have acquired nine 3' x 11" full rounds, two 3' x 11" half rounds, and two 3' x 16" full rounds. Five pairs are stacked as columns (one in each corner with the 16" column centered on the back wall), one 3' x 11" full round adjacent to a stair well (half wall) and the two half-rounds stacked at a midpoint on the left side wall.

The resulting improvement in sound quality has been remarkable. In short, the sound is much more musical and realistic. I will try to give some concrete examples, as follows:

1) The speakers almost always disappear. The sound seems to be ambient, rather than coming out of little boxes. The sound stage has widened.

2) Now that the decay time on the bass notes has evened out, the highs no longer seem rolled off at low volume.

3) Detail in the mid-range has improved so much that I can hear new things in old familiar CD's.

4) Dynamic punch is so improved that I have more punch at lower volumes than before. A kick drum kicks you in the chest even at moderate volume.

5) Although I know it's not possible, it seems like the mains play an octave lower than before. I suspect they always played this low, but the uneven decay time was creating a bit of the dreaded "one note bass" which was drowning out the lower register. I actually checked to make sure I wasn't running through the DVD port, which would kick in the subs. They were not even on and I broke into a huge grin.

In short, ASC tube traps are the real deal. :thumbsup:

Randy, how did you decide what to get?

chessman 02-10-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueChiaro (Post 140163)
Randy, how did you decide what to get?

To be honest it was a bit of guesstimate and lucky circumstance. The basement listening room/HT/Bat Cave has a low ceiling. When a set of four 3' x 11" full rounds became available locally it seemed like it was worth a shot in the dark. The 11" absorb down to about 80 H, so I figured I could use four some way, somehow.

When they had such a profound effect placed behind the mains (one corner and one free floating), I decided to go on the prowl for more. I found another opportunity for a larger quantity than I would have sought out, but they matched what I had and I have always been told you cannot over-treat a room below 400 H.

There are undoubtedly more precise ways to proceed, but with the belief that I could not over do it, I took a shot.

Masterlu 02-10-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkval (Post 140157)
Howard

That's the ticket! :thumbsup: