AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Two f113s vs one f212 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36488)

BillK 07-19-2016 11:23 PM

Two f113s vs one f212

Sub would be mostly for movie effects as I'm still not a fan of adding a sub for two channel; I find integration is somewhat painful when I try.

The f212 seems a good way to get a little more oomph.

Unfortunately there's not really a normal dealer in my area anymore so I can't just borrow a pair of f113s from anyone.

Upgrading from a Velodyne ULD-18, which I purchased because I could demo it.

djwhog 07-20-2016 07:20 AM

I own the 212 it is very impressive and I give it a best in class sub, that said having two subs offers better balance and integration. I have a 2nd custom sub running a JL woofer too that is similar to the Gotham.

Not knocking the ULD-18, but this will out perform it a mile, I know I owned a while back the ULD :)

piolaxo 07-27-2016 02:04 AM

This would be a mighty good challange, like in a chess game: two towers vs the queen.

nicoff 07-27-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillK (Post 793080)
Sub would be mostly for movie effects as I'm still not a fan of adding a sub for two channel; I find integration is somewhat painful when I try. The f212 seems a good way to get a little more oomph. Unfortunately there's not really a normal dealer in my area anymore so I can't just borrow a pair of f113s from anyone. Upgrading from a Velodyne ULD-18, which I purchased because I could demo it.

I suggest that you contact customer service at JL Audio. Try to speak with Barry Ober. He should be able to give you good advice as to what works best in your situation. Your room size, intended application, the availability of space to place a second unit in the ideal position are factors to consider. And by the way, I used to think the same way you do about being hesitant in adding a sub for 2 channel music. After trying with one sub, I am now a convert.

nicoff 07-27-2016 12:43 PM

Forgot to mention that I went from an old 18" Velodyne to one F113. The F113 sounded much better from the get go. I now use multiple F113 in a fairly large room.

djwhog 07-27-2016 01:47 PM

Call Ivan, I think 2 is always better for subs overs better balance etc. Hell 2 F212s would be maybe to much, 2 F113 perfect IMOP, unless you have a large room and want that much more bass :)

GaryProtein 07-28-2016 08:17 AM

Two f113's will do a better job then one f212.

The use of two f113 subs will give a smoother room response and have more power than one f212.

You could always use two f212's if you like . . . . :D :D :D

jrsystems 08-19-2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 794449)
I suggest that you contact customer service at JL Audio. Try to speak with Barry Ober. He should be able to give you good advice as to what works best in your situation. Your room size, intended application, the availability of space to place a second unit in the ideal position are factors to consider. And by the way, I used to think the same way you do about being hesitant in adding a sub for 2 channel music. After trying with one sub, I am now a convert.

I second this recommendation. Barry "The Soundoctor" is the man! Order his demo disc and read his white paper and do exactly what he says. He helped me perfectly integrate my f113 and Raidhos. Once properly integrated, subs are sensational with music.

Bill, what speakers are you matching with?

aqman 08-20-2016 08:44 PM

How are you guys achieving the time alignment in your two channel systems? There doesn't seem to be many 2 channel DAC/pre that allow delaying of the mains.

Cohibaman 08-20-2016 09:10 PM

Just throwing this out there....Ivan is a dealer and he can more than likely help you get the most out of your system.

:lurk: