AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ayre (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   QX-5 Twenty now available in multiple (many lower cost) versions (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40547)

BillK 09-16-2017 10:31 PM

QX-5 Twenty now available in multiple (many lower cost) versions

Ayre has decided to make the input modules optional.

From an email that just went out:

Quote:

Ayre QX-5 Twenty for $6,950??

Been thinking about a QX-5 Twenty, but the $8,950 is just a little more than you want to spend?

Now you can custom order the QX-5 Twenty to perfectly fit the needs of your system and save money! We now have four options for you to choose from.

Option Inputs US Retail
QX-5 Base S/PDIF + AES/EBU $6,950
QX-5 USB USB + S/PDIF + AES/EBU $7,650
QX-5 Net Ethernet + S/PDIF + AES/EBU $8,250
QX-5 Full Ethernet + USB + S/PDIF + AES/EBU $8,950

All of these options include the ability to use the QX-5 as an 8 input digital preamp, with our own Patent-pending asynchronous S/PDF receiver that eliminates all jitter created by the S/PDIF format. The QX-5's cutting edge digital volume control maintains 24 bits of resolution all the way down to -60db. Our state-of-the-art Diamond output based Headphone amplifier will drive any headphones and has both balanced and single-ended connections easily accessible on the front panel.

The USB version includes the Award-winning Streamlength™ asynchronous control that provides the best sounding USB input available.

The Net version is Roon Ready and has the ability to stream via Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, and Spotify Connect.

If you want to add options later, no problem.

Option US Retail
+ USB and Ethernet $2,125
+ Ethernet $1,425
+ USB $ 825

doggiehowser 09-16-2017 10:40 PM

What's the difference between NetEthernet and FullEthernet

d_elm 09-16-2017 11:06 PM

Net and Full are configuration names.

enatai252 09-17-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 867386)
What's the difference between NetEthernet and FullEthernet

Net excludes USB. Full has everything

Dr Tone 09-21-2017 09:27 AM

An even lower price option without headphone output would have been real nice.

ctsooner 09-21-2017 10:26 AM

LOL, I never thought I'd want or need the headphone amp either. I decided to listen on the weekend mornings (so I can let my wife sleep in). I bought a pair of ZMF Ori's and ordered a custom pair of Audio Art cables headphone cables. Rob worked with me so I could get all Furetech connectors and do the Pono balanced connection. HOLY COW.

I have heard these headphones (to me better than the Audeze LCD 4 or the Focal Utopia or Hifiman TOTL) on the regular headphone amp I have, which is nice as well as with the 1/4" Ayre connection. What I wasn't ready for was the balanced connection difference. I can't believe how great my headphones sound right now. SHOCKED to be honest. I'm not a headphone guy for hte most part. To me, I have a nice pair of Noble Savant's for travel and late night listening or TV even. they are perfect to take on the go, but not for critical listening. I am now thinking that I may get a better DAC for the phone (using Audioquest Red), like a Mojo or possibly a balanced output DAP.

I do understand that some don't use the Headphone amp, but the way the case is made, I can't see them just having dummy female plugs on the front. JMHO. who knows though.

meatyb0y 09-21-2017 02:50 PM

Great idea!

That’s very cool. It would also be cool to have a USB and Ethernet version without the AES & SPDIF inputs. I’d go for that.

Masterlu 09-21-2017 06:38 PM

meatyb0y... Welcome to AA! :wave:

BillK 05-22-2018 09:46 AM

Note prices on the QX-5 Twenty are going up $1000 across the board June 1.