AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Digital Downsizing (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46305)

med_designer 07-21-2019 10:43 PM

Digital Downsizing

I am considering selling my D1100 and MCT450 and replacing it with a MCD600. I have a mix of CD (about 500) and SACD (about 120) so I still need and want the ability to play physical media. Also need at least one digital input from my OLED and may use the other for something like a Node 2i

The preamp is a C70 and I like it being all analog. Plus I just have gotten back into vinyl in a fairly big way and really liking the results I am getting.

The D1100 was always overkill but I had to have something to play SACD from the transport. The only two inputs I use a optical for TV and MCT for the transport.

Thoughts on the MCD600 or something similar?

Puma Cat 07-22-2019 12:19 AM

I don't know McIntosh gear, but it seems to me a simpler system is alway better than a more complex one. Less components, less component-to-component interaction, one less power supply, and one fewer set of interfaces...("cables", etc).

JWJW 07-22-2019 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by med_designer (Post 973788)
I am considering selling my D1100 and MCT450 and replacing it with a MCD600. I have a mix of CD (about 500) and SACD (about 120) so I still need and want the ability to play physical media. Also need at least one digital input from my OLED and may use the other for something like a Node 2i

The preamp is a C70 and I like it being all analog. Plus I just have gotten back into vinyl in a fairly big way and really liking the results I am getting.

The D1100 was always overkill but I had to have something to play SACD from the transport. The only two inputs I use a optical for TV and MCT for the transport.

Thoughts on the MCD600 or something similar?

Funny....I’ve been thinking the same thing with D150/MCT450. The MCD600 looks like a really sweet machine.

miner 07-22-2019 08:24 AM

Well, I will join this party, too. I have a MCT450 and MCD500 - thinking about letting the MCD500 go. It is in my analogue setup and I don't use it much. I have played less than 40 CD/SACD through it. I also want to start trimming down the herd.

Maks 07-22-2019 10:28 AM

I would probably look at doing that as well, but I like all the inputs on my outboard DAC. I only have a single SACD so missing SACD playback isn't a problem for me. I would agree though, I prefer simplicity when at all possible. I don't have any video sources running into my DAC, since I don't care about the sound that much I just run the analog outs from my TV into my pre.

med_designer 07-22-2019 10:37 PM

Glad to see I am not totally off base with my idea. The big question is which CD/SACD player. Not to ruffle any feathers but one of the Luxman players might be an idea. Perhaps a Accuphase as well. Or just stick with the MCD600 and be happy which is most likely what I will do.

That said I do love my C70/MC152 combo and they are staying put.