AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Balanced Audio Technology (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Balanced Audio Technology (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=12463)

pbgalvin 10-05-2018 05:30 PM

Thanks for the input folks. My personal journey had me recently on a Rogue Audio Medusa hybrid amp with a solid state with an audio alchemy preamp. Great sound but of course thought something was missing.
Went to a custom build high power amp based on the hypex ncore nc500. Wow what a fast resolving amp. But of course want some of that second order harmonic tastiness from tubes.
So, thinking tube preamp and SS amp.
Have a cheap, used Jolida and like the sound but looking for some of the highs aren't great.
So thinking maybe a better tube reamp will put it over the top - which brought me to BAT.
Will start looking for used VK-31s as that might be a sweet spot for price/performance.

--Peter

johndoe21ro 10-06-2018 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbgalvin (Post 934457)
Thanks for the input folks. My personal journey had me recently on a Rogue Audio Medusa hybrid amp with a solid state with an audio alchemy preamp. Great sound but of course thought something was missing.
Went to a custom build high power amp based on the hypex ncore nc500. Wow what a fast resolving amp. But of course want some of that second order harmonic tastiness from tubes.
So, thinking tube preamp and SS amp.
Have a cheap, used Jolida and like the sound but looking for some of the highs aren't great.
So thinking maybe a better tube reamp will put it over the top - which brought me to BAT.
Will start looking for used VK-31s as that might be a sweet spot for price/performance.

--Peter

You can't go wrong with BAT! :D
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Formerly YB-2 10-06-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbgalvin (Post 934457)
--Peter

Has most of the bells & whistles of the 51 series (true dual channel, etc.) and considerably less expensive. If you find the VK-31SE with the 6H30 and don't mind the freight for the original Soviet era tubes (IIRC, $300/ea from BAT - good thing they last 10,000 hours) then you'll be good. Lot easier to find 6922 tubes to roll at $30/ea. Same unit as far as bells & whistles and the optional phono board and 6-pack can be installed. Think they both had a standard remote. My favorite tube preamp.

pbgalvin 10-07-2018 03:27 PM

Thanks for the thoughts - looking at a used VK31 (not SE). Would be great to hear one without having to buy it first but so it goes ...

chessman 10-07-2018 05:41 PM

Peter, welcome to the BAT cave!

Formerly YB-2 11-08-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbgalvin (Post 934717)
Thanks for the thoughts - looking at a used VK31 (not SE). Would be great to hear one without having to buy it first but so it goes ...

I had one for several years and it remains my favorite tube preamp. Am especially fond of the 6922 tubes it uses. Several upgrades available if it is worth it for you (6-pak caps, excellent phono-stage, etc. - talk to BAT). You won't be disappointed. :thumbsup:

Andyr1 12-04-2018 06:01 PM

Hello all I am new here ,I live in England , I ve come back to hifi after 20 years of being kids up and racing motorbikes every weekend , but now with time to spare ,I listened to an old friends system and got the bug again ,so over the last 12 months I ve collected a few bits ,system at the min is linn lp12 Ittok Klyde , whest 30rdt , bat vk50se , vk150se monoblocks, quad 989 , all cables are missing link and chord , in the past I ve had a lot of valve amps and do like the sound of them , would like to find some more bat kit but there is not much for sale in the uk , only found this forum by chance when looking for reviews on bat amps, thanks andy

Formerly YB-2 12-04-2018 08:37 PM

Andy - Welcome to AAf.
Am wondering what you might be saying with your.......... "all cables are missing link and chord"....... ?

Andyr1 12-05-2018 12:59 AM

Hi formerly YB , all the xlr cables are made by company’s called missing link and chord , the missing link cryo ref cables are very good

Formerly YB-2 12-05-2018 08:24 PM

That's good. Thanks for the clarification.