AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Linn (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Linn or Thorens (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45137)

markatherton 02-15-2019 12:10 PM

Linn or Thorens

I plan to buy either a Linn LP12 or a Thorens td124; My plan is to upgrade all the way up to Klimax specs on the linn over time or do a maximum upgrade on the Thorens. Which project should I take on. I plan to install the upgrades myself. Which one will I be happier with at the end of the line. Mark in San Diego.

Legrace 02-16-2019 09:37 AM

I would give the nod to the Thorens, classic elegance. Link below is of an example of a maximum upgrade. I have the same arm as the one in the bottom picture except on a Denon, superb.

https://www.artisanfidelity.com/new-.../thorens-td124

Antonmb 02-16-2019 12:27 PM

The Thorens is beautiful and classic, but the Linn has endless upgrade potential and in the full Klimax version is state-of-the-art vinyl playback.

markatherton 02-16-2019 07:19 PM

thorens

Wow what is the price of that Artisans fidelity Thorens?

Formerly YB-2 02-19-2019 08:26 AM

Another vote for the Thorens with solid pucks to take out the suspension and turn it into a real TT. That springie/floatie stuph just doesn't do it with a TT.

ehoove 02-20-2019 09:07 AM

Well, You certainly went towards two different animals, Which would work best for you in your situation is up to you. The Linn is a great table but very touchy when set up properly, so touchy it is hard to use the cue without jumping the stylus in the groove. the TD-124 is a classic that continues to go up in price, and delivers a different presentation than the Linn, but would get my vote if I were to invest $$ and time in one of the two. IMHO
Good Luck and have fun,
Jim

ehoove 02-20-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 953883)
That springie/floatie stuph just doesn't do it with a TT.

I own two suspended TT, and one unsuspended TT which is my main table. It really depends on the table and proper setup.
Regards,
Jim

Olskool 04-29-2019 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehoove (Post 954009)
I own two suspended TT, and one unsuspended TT which is my main table. It really depends on the table and proper setup.

Regards,

Jim

I’m very pleased with my Lp 12 TT! I’m not sure why posters are saying it is touchy to place the needle; no sweat here, just use the tonearm lift to raise, place cart over the spot and lower the arm. The lift gently places the needle where you set it. Any touchiness probably comes from having an early series arm board without a lift or being on less than solid flooring like concrete. Walking, running or jumping by it, no issues with mine! I’ve never had it on anything other than concrete so wont comment further here.

My table is approaching near full spec Klimax level, it needs Keel base and Ekos 2 SE to get to full. (I have Kore base now on Trampolin suspended aluminum base footing and Ekos 1 tonearm running a Lyra Delos) it was upgraded to the Radikal Power Supply a couple years ago (huge performance boost) and added the Booplinth shortly afterwards that I attest fully is a stunning performance improvement! Before all this I was a happy camper at Akurate level. As I could afford to upgrade I have done so and regret nothing. Love my table and the tunes it gives me! I may not blow anybody else out of the water but I also get serious respect from other audiophiles when they listen to it.

Olskool

ehoove 05-03-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olskool (Post 963125)
I’m very pleased with my Lp 12 TT! I’m not sure why posters are saying it is touchy to place the needle; no sweat here, just use the tonearm lift to raise, place cart over the spot and lower the arm. The lift gently places the needle where you set it. Any touchiness probably comes from having an early series arm board without a lift or being on less than solid flooring like concrete. Walking, running or jumping by it, no issues with mine! I’ve never had it on anything other than concrete so wont comment further here.

My table is approaching near full spec Klimax level, it needs Keel base and Ekos 2 SE to get to full. (I have Kore base now on Trampolin suspended aluminum base footing and Ekos 1 tonearm running a Lyra Delos) it was upgraded to the Radikal Power Supply a couple years ago (huge performance boost) and added the Booplinth shortly afterwards that I attest fully is a stunning performance improvement! Before all this I was a happy camper at Akurate level. As I could afford to upgrade I have done so and regret nothing. Love my table and the tunes it gives me! I may not blow anybody else out of the water but I also get serious respect from other audiophiles when they listen to it.

Olskool

My comment is based on a full bore Linn at a demonstration of the Magnapan 30.7. The Linn cue on Linn's top arm was so touchy even the demonstrator muted the output as he cued it. It was very touchy and unusable real time. He swore it was setup properly. It sounded wonderful with Linn's top cartridge, but my modded TD125MkII was no cue issues, and sounds very good!
Regards,
Jim

Olskool 05-03-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehoove (Post 963612)
My comment is based on a full bore Linn at a demonstration of the Magnapan 30.7. The Linn cue on Linn's top arm was so touchy even the demonstrator muted the output as he cued it. It was very touchy and unusable real time. He swore it was setup properly. It sounded wonderful with Linn's top cartridge, but my modded TD125MkII was no cue issues, and sounds very good!
Regards,
Jim

Thanks Jim, no disrespect or challenging you or saying your facts wrong. Just had good experience with my cueing.

Man, wish I could have heard the 30.7 and Linn combo. Bet it was awesome and bet your TD125 sounds amazing too. Thanks for commenting.

Larry