AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Esoteric Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Big jump to K-01X ? from Meridian 808.2 ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41613)

michael paul 12-22-2017 04:30 PM

Big jump to K-01X ? from Meridian 808.2 ?

Hi guys,

It's probably a shot- in -the- dark that many have owned/auditioned
both the Esoteric and the Meridian,

but if not those two particular models ,per se, how does Meridian's best stack up against the K-01X?

IMHO,my Meridian 808.2 is a stellar CD player and I can't fathom something blowing it out of the water.

Obviously this board loves the K-01X .No doubt for good reason.

I want judgement based on redbook Cd playback only --not DAC abilities or SACD or any other function the device has to offer.

Hey,it's winter! I caught the flu. The TRADE-UP flu!!

thanks for your opinions

mike

Mikado463 12-22-2017 05:29 PM

Mike, simply put the Esoteric is a great spinner....... there are many great players, it is one of them, there is 'no' best. I've had the pleasure of listening to it on a couple of occasions and while a superb sounding piece I have zero interest in trading my Cary 306 Pro.

IMO, the 'only' criteria that matters are your ears comparing it against your Meridian, as you know another great player !

Merry Christmas !

SuperD 12-22-2017 07:33 PM

Hey Mike,
I have had the K-01X since it was released years ago. It was my first leap into the hi-end. It provided so much more emotion than my previous player, an OPPO-95. IMO, the K-01X extracts all of the detail without sounding too lean. I feel its very musical and one of the top contenders for a best all in one box spinner. I have compared it to some really nice players and don't feel im missing much with the K-01X. Good Luck in your search

Dave

michael paul 12-22-2017 11:03 PM

Thanks guys for the comments!..Hoping to get a chance to audition soon in the new year.

PHC1 12-22-2017 11:12 PM

Yes, be sure to audition. I am fairly confident you will find the upper octaves more airy and the overall resolution quite a bit better with the Esoteric. The 808.2 was an effort by Bob Stuart to get rid of pre-ringing with apodizing filters of his design if my memory serves me right. It was successful and it is a very musical CDP but by today's standards it lags a bit in utter transparency and resolution but it is up to your ears to decide which is better for YOUR system. :yes:

I've owned the earlier Meridian CDPs and was always very satisfied.

j3brow 12-22-2017 11:15 PM

I have owned both K01X and currently 808v6. They are both outstanding just different flavors.

michael paul 12-22-2017 11:53 PM

PHC1..thanks for your comment

j3brow..what led to swapping the KO1X to the 808v6?

have you listened to previous versions of Meridians..such as mine?

back in the day i also had a 508.24..very nice player

thanks

mike

PHC1 12-23-2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael paul (Post 887800)

thanks

mike

Ditto. Loved it then and would probably still enjoy it today.

j3brow 12-23-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael paul (Post 887800)
PHC1..thanks for your comment

j3brow..what led to swapping the KO1X to the 808v6?

have you listened to previous versions of Meridians..such as mine?

thanks

mike

Hi Michael,

I didn’t swap one for the other. I sold off the Esoteric, along with most of my system, almost 2 years ago and re-built a new system this year as I lost my dedicated room (my girls each needed their own room). A good deal came along for a used 808v6 (808.3 upgraded) from my dealer and I went that route. Regarding the K01X, there wasn’t anything I did not like sonically. It was a sublime piece. My only complaint was I learned I didn’t like mixing silver with my McIntosh system.

michael paul 12-23-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3brow (Post 887867)
Hi Michael,

I didn’t swap one for the other. I sold off the Esoteric, along with most of my system, almost 2 years ago and re-built a new system this year as I lost my dedicated room (my girls each needed their own room). A good deal came along for a used 808v6 (808.3 upgraded) from my dealer and I went that route. Regarding the K01X, there wasn’t anything I did not like sonically. It was a sublime piece. My only complaint was I learned I didn’t like mixing silver with my McIntosh system.

j3brow...OK ,i understand..life happened!...i can relate...sold off all my stuff when my daughter was born 9 years ago...just now, i also have rebuilt (rebought lol)...and with a vengeance

and i swear!!! i will never relinquish another piece of equipment for pennies on the dollar...it still hurts!! bad!