AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Price Increase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48235)

GreginNH1 06-16-2020 07:25 AM

Price Increase

ARC has announced a price increase effective July 1st. Not sure how much of an increase that will be.

For those on the fence - now is the time!

.,. 06-16-2020 03:05 PM

goof time for them to do this given the state of affairs

Masterlu 06-16-2020 06:08 PM

vitruvius... Welcome to AA! :wave:

.,. 06-18-2020 03:01 PM

thanks

Fabio 01-30-2021 04:30 PM

They usually do a 10 - 15 % increase from what I saw in the past years but these are different times so maybe more as they lost lots of sales this year due to covid

metaphacts 01-31-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabio (Post 1030974)
They usually do a 10 - 15 % increase from what I saw in the past years but these are different times so maybe more as they lost lots of sales this year due to covid

COVID really did not cost them orders per se. Deliveries were limited early-mid year by mandated closures but demand for ARC products continued to build, not fall.

ARC is under new ownership. Great things (imo) are coming. The REF80s has already been released. Stay tuned for the next wave. It's a great time to be an ARC fan,

cleeds 01-31-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaphacts (Post 1031037)
... ARC is under new ownership. Great things (imo) are coming. The REF80s has already been released. Stay tuned for the next wave. It's a great time to be an ARC fan,

I am inclined to agree. The new owner has the background to understand the brand and its successful formula. As an independent entity, it can focus on its core qualities without corporate distraction or interference. While I think ARC fared rather well under McIntosh ownership, the parent clearly had its own values it imposed on ARC, such as the cosmetic changes it introduced.

bart 01-31-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabio (Post 1030974)

I hear from the dealers I know that they had record sales last year.
People couldn't travel, dine out,...
So those audiophiles with jobs that weren't affected by Covid spent more on their hobby it seems.

jayvis1 02-01-2021 11:28 AM

Price increases are needed for future R&D dollars that were lost with their departure from McIntosh. Many think that ARC will do better without the bigger corporate umbrella, but I think it'll be more challenging for them to acquire and retain the best engineering, design, and marketing minds without the $$ benefit of that umbrella. I already considered the majority of their items to be overpriced, even for a U.S. built product. I'm hoping that they can somehow add more value to their products that differentiates themselves more from the competition.

cleeds 02-01-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayvis1 (Post 1031150)
Price increases are needed for future R&D dollars that were lost with their departure from McIntosh ...

That's very likely mistaken. Most large companies run their subsidiaries using the profit center concept. If anything, separating from Mac may offer some lower costs, e.g. ARC won't have to spend $$$ on a fancy Italian designer, fancy casework and custom knobs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayvis1 (Post 1031150)
I think it'll be more challenging for them to acquire and retain the best engineering, design, and marketing minds without the $$ benefit of that umbrella ... I'm hoping that they can somehow add more value to their products

ARC operated as an independent company for decades, so it seems to me that the template for its success is pretty well established.

I've owned ARC gear for more than 40 years. It's true that it's always been expensive, but it seems to me the company has always offered excellent value.