AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Pre-Pro for HT usage | recommendations sought (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11386)

FranklinLG 12-15-2011 12:19 AM

Pre-Pro for HT usage | recommendations sought

Hi there. I currently own an Emotiva UMC-1 pre-pro, that I use for video switching and HT applications. It runs through by Leben pre-amp when it is engaged. And despite that, I still find it slightly off and certainly "sharp" sounding...

However, I'm looking for a new pre-pro, and one that is compatible with 1.4 HDMI. I have serious reservations about whether Outlaw Audio will ever release something. So I'm here to ask for some audiophile, no, audio aficionado recommendations for a an audio aficionado class pre-pro. Ideally, I'd like to see it do double duty for HT handling and straight DAC for computer audio. I already have a BDP-95 for SACD...

Thanks in advance.

-E- 12-15-2011 01:37 AM

Entry level:
The Marantz AV7005 is still a winner in my book, but it is unbelievable susceptible to gobs of ground hiss (from a myriad of places, it just seems to attract the crazy, though).

Mid-fi:
Anthem D2v. Constantly rated as a solid performer.

Hi-fi:
A full blown Theta CB. Fully modular, fully kick-ass. And I love the way Theta stuff sounds; even with the ATI buyout, they are still top notch (and built like tanks).

Doug Lax 12-15-2011 04:35 PM

the Krell 1200u is no sloutch either

Ritmo 12-15-2011 08:57 PM

Consider also the McIntosh MX150 and Classe SSP800 - but expensive.

Mike

KahunaCanuck 12-15-2011 09:19 PM

I hate being one of those idiots who always answers these questions with their equipment...but, I luv my Classe SSP 800 and actually think they represent pretty good value...they don't offer any upconverting of video...I think this is a good thing, you likely already have that function in your bluray or TV/Projector. The sound is the focus and I have been thrilled with that end of it, as well Classe has kept up to date with firmware updates and upgrades (new 3d HDMI 1.4 card for example).

My other choice is the Marantz units, they offer good value for the money as well. I have never liked the Anthems...just don't dig the sound for some reason...best of luck!!

Stockinv 12-27-2011 11:27 PM

KahunaCanuck, I have a system that is somewhat similar to yours (MC501's, B&W 802D's). I need to upgrade my pre/pro and the dealer has offered me a choice of the Classe SSP 800 or the yet to be released McIntosh MX 121 at 3-4M less. The McIntosh would be compatible with my other equipment and have all the latest specifications. Since you love the Classe, would you even consider the new McIntosh?

KahunaCanuck 12-28-2011 01:48 AM

I would not, no...nothing to gain...though the 121has not been heard yet, so we will see. I like that the Classe passes all video through...the more video stuff onboard, the quicker it becomes obsolete IMHO. Good luck!

W9TR 12-28-2011 12:22 PM

Franklin,
Have you considered splitting out the video switching duties with a separate video processor? This will give you many more choices and also reduce the chances for obsolescence. You can integrate the audio pre/pro and video switcher with a good remote control. This is what I do. I use an older Pre-Pro, the McIntish MX-135, and run a separate video switcher.

By taking this path, the relatively stable audio world is isolated from the ever changing HDMI video world. Your BDP-95 has two HDMI outputs - one can be dedicated to video, the other to audio. Or you can use the codecs in your BDP-95 and run analog audio into your pre-pro and HDMI video through a switcher to your display or projector.

Regards,

Tom

FranklinLG 01-07-2012 11:20 AM

W9TR,

That's an interesting thought, and is actually something I've considered. My Plasma has 3 or 4 HDMI plugs. So I can easily run my sources to it, and then separate out the audio. Unfortunately, when I say my system does double duty, it's not simply blu-ray. I also have our Directv & Apple TV. So there are 3 video sources that I have to deal with, plus 3 digital sources that would need to be converted...

Recently, I've begun to look at Marrantz's 7005 pre-pro, and Emotiva and Outlaw Audio have products rumored to be released this year. Ultimately, I'd like to find something in the sub $1,500 range that I can use and my family can EASILY use to do what they want.

I'm also in the process of separating out the HT and Hi-Fi, with separate speakers and amps. So this will soon be a whole different set of issues. One thought I have had is to use some smaller speakers that I might be able to adequately position somewhat out of sight, and then move the HT electronics into a separate room so that all you would see is the plasma and the tubes for the hi-fi.

In any event, it's an ongoing prices...

Masterlu 01-07-2012 11:26 AM

Stockinv... Welcome! :wave: