AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Loving my New CR-1 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41760)

crwilli 01-06-2018 05:47 PM

Loving my New CR-1

In my new room here in SC, I knew I had issues with the low end. Between my ears and measurements with REW, there were a number of problem areas. After many days of listening, moving speakers and measuring, I finally have decided to keep the Strads on the long wall of my 23’2”L x 16’W x 10’H room. They are 12’ apart and the listening position is 11’ away. They are 32” from the front wall and my LP is 35” from the back wall. The Fathom 113v2 is to my left 7’ from the front wall and 32” from the side wall.

I will spare you the evolution of measurements but suffice it to say, there was a peak at 50-60Hz and a null around 100 Hz. Both caused primarily by the Placement of the Strads.

I decided to connect my new CR-1 with The Xovers set at 110 to reduce the impact of the Strad placement and was immediately rewarded with better bass. Adjusting the sub/Strads balance improved it further and then I plugged the Strads low end port, adjusted the HP crossover contour to what sounded better, adjusted the Phase on the Fathom per Barry Ober’s instructions and WOW!!

Could it better? Sure, it still measures ‘bumpy’ but less so than without the CR-1 and it sounds bloody fantastic which is all that matters!

The Strads are casting a very wide, open and detailed, Black sound stage and the low end is seamless, deep and sometimes, downright scary.

The ease with which the CR-1 allowed me to do this was impressive.

I am a believer.

Cohibaman 01-06-2018 06:09 PM

It’s good to hear your new listening room is coming together. Time to just sit back and enjoy. :music:

Mikado463 01-06-2018 06:36 PM

patience is a virtue, all good Craig !

kaarmstrong 01-06-2018 06:49 PM

I am using the CR-1 aswell along with Ober's setup and it worked very well for me. Integrating subs correctly can be a challenge but the cr-1 makes it much easier. I especially like the ability to independently turn mains and subs on and off which was helpful when setting phase/gain.

PHC1 01-06-2018 08:05 PM

Craig, the CR-1 is a serious tool for subwoofer integration. :thumbsup: Enjoy!

Cohibaman 01-06-2018 08:09 PM

Craig, what are you using to measure the frequency response of your system/room?

chessman 01-06-2018 08:45 PM

Congrats, Craig!! You made some very smart choices. And, I think Barry Ober’s system is ingenious. I also think that time domain resonance matters more than a table top flat frequency response. Did you happen to run a waterfall graph?

Masterlu 01-06-2018 09:15 PM

Craig... I am very glad to hear you are enjoying your new CR-1 :ok:

crwilli 01-06-2018 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohibaman (Post 890938)
Craig, what are you using to measure the frequency response of your system/room?

I am using REW software with a UMIK USB mic and an HP Latitude laptop. Works like a charm!

jameslrock 01-06-2018 11:53 PM

Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow after an evening of your listening with the CR1.