AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Sonore's OpticalModule and SystemOptique (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45868)

Puma Cat 05-21-2019 01:46 PM

Sonore's OpticalModule and SystemOptique

Just wrote to Jesus at SGC and he tells me that Sonore's new OpticalModule will be available around the end of the month.

I'm looking forward to buying this as it will be Sonore's take on a high-end Fiber Media Convertor, and I would presume represent a notable step up in audio performance over the TP-Link FMCs I am presently using.

Here are the key features of the new OpticalModule:

FEATURES
  1. Four (4) high-quality ultra low noise linear regulators
  2. Fixed frequency high-quality ultra low jitter FEMTO oscillator
  3. External power input jack
  4. RJ45 input connector
  5. Includes one SFP fiber optic transceiver
  6. Power connector: 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center +)
  7. Power input: 5-9 VDC
  8. Dimension: 3.5"x2.2"x.7"

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_ca...dule-front.png

To help folks that are migrating to fiber-based streaming solutions, Sonore has defined a system they refer to as SystemOptique. Its a set of specifications and standards that helps customers migrating to a fiber-based streaming configuration obtain maximal and consistent performance. Details are here: https://www.sonore.us/systemoptique.html

Still-One 05-21-2019 10:15 PM

Since the GigaFoil did not work with my network I have one of these on order.

Puma Cat 05-21-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 965641)
Since the GigaFoil did not work with my network I have one of these on order.

Yup, just ordered mine, as well as a TP-Link SFP transceiver....really looking forward to this unit for my fiber setup.

Still-One 05-22-2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 965651)
Yup, just ordered mine, as well as a TP-Link SFP transceiver....really looking forward to this unit for my fiber setup.

I went with the TrendNet unit that SGC was selling.

Puma Cat 05-22-2019 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 965655)
I went with the TrendNet unit that SGC was selling.

I think we ordered the same SFP unit; I hope the OpticalModudle works out for you.

For The Love of Music 05-22-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 965651)

Are there two parts for a complete Sonore setup and is the output USB or Ethernet?

Still-One 05-22-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 965683)
Are there two parts for a complete Sonore setup and is the output USB or Ethernet?

This is how my unit will be set-up once the Optical Module arrives.

Cable Modem ---ethernet---> Orbi Wireless Router---ethernet--->Trendnet S51SFP ----Optical cable--> Optical Module---->ethernet --------> dCS Upsampler

Puma Cat 05-22-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 965683)

I don't know what you mean by a complete Sonore setup. The output is either optical or Ethernet, depending on which way the configuration is connected. It will take an optical fiber input and output to RJ45 Ethernet, or vice versa.

In my config: Ethernet->upstream TP-Link MC220L FMC w/ TP-Link SFP optical transceiver->7M run of Tripp-Lite 62.5/125 MMC LC/LC fiber->Sonore OpticalModule->Ethernet->Sonore microRendu

The downstream OpticalModule will be powered by an iFi iPower very low noise linear power supply plugged into a Shunyata Hydra distributor. Should be very quiet. The upstream TP-Link MC220L will also be powered by a Jameco 9V low-noise LPS.

I don't think one needs an OpticalModule on either end. The downstream OpticalModule should do what's required in re-clocking the optical fiber bitstream before sending via Ethernet to mRendu.

For The Love of Music 05-22-2019 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 965703)

Cable Modem ---ethernet---> Orbi Wireless Router---ethernet--->Trendnet S51SFP ----Optical cable--> Optical Module---->ethernet --------> dCS Upsampler

Curious how you make out to avoid the dropping you were experiencing

For The Love of Music 05-22-2019 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 965717)
I don't know what you mean by a complete Sonore setup. The output is either optical or Ethernet, depending on which way the configuration is connected. It will take an optical fiber input and output to RJ45 Ethernet, or vice versa.

In my config: Ethernet->upstream TP-Link MC220L FMC w/ TP-Link SFP optical transceiver->7M run of Tripp-Lite 62.5/125 MMC LC/LC fiber->Sonore OpticalModule->Ethernet->Sonore microRendu

The downstream OpticalModule will be powered by an iFi iPower very low noise linear power supply plugged into a Shunyata Hydra distributor. Should be very quiet. The upstream TP-Link MC220L will also be powered by a Jameco 9V low-noise LPS.

I don't think one needs an OpticalModule on either end. The downstream OpticalModule should do what's required in re-clocking the optical fiber bitstream before sending via Ethernet to mRendu.

Ok, that makes sense, the picture to me was not clear

Puma Cat 05-23-2019 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 965703)

Cool, thanks, Jim.

Puma Cat 05-24-2019 06:37 PM

I wrote to Jesus at Sonore today and he wrote back and said that they expect to be shipping the OpticalModule out the 1st or 2nd week of June.

Still-One 05-24-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 965928)
I wrote to Jesus at Sonore today and he wrote back and said that they expect to be shipping the OpticalModule out the 1st or 2nd week of June.

I tried a new switch yesterday preparing for the Opticalmodule device I have on order. Dropouts and Roon error messages galore. Back to the non-optical capable device at least for now. I', considering canceling my order.

Puma Cat 05-24-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 965936)
I tried a new switch yesterday preparing for the Opticalmodule device I have on order. Dropouts and Roon error messages galore. Back to the non-optical capable device at least for now. I', considering canceling my order.

I think the problem may be with the Orbi network, Jim. Any info if an Eero mesh network will work better?

BTW, its very clear that mesh networks don't play nice with a range of networked devices. Ring says that their Video Doorbell basicially do not work well mesh WiFi networks, they recommend a Wifi Extender instead, e.g., a TP-Link, etc.

Still-One 05-25-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 965939)
I think the problem may be with the Orbi network, Jim. Any info if an Eero mesh network will work better?

BTW, its very clear that mesh networks don't play nice with a range of networked devices. Ring says that their Video Doorbell basicially do not work well mesh WiFi networks, they recommend a Wifi Extender instead, e.g., a TP-Link, etc.

i agree that it could be the Netgear Orbi mesh network. Everything else works so well with great coverage that I am a bit reticent to change over to something else just for a small improvement in audio SQ. What Orbi support could never explain is why I needed to add a switch in the first place when the Orbi Router and satellites have enough ports to do job in the first place.

For The Love of Music 05-27-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 965939)

I run an Eeros mesh, and it has zero issues with Ring and their self diagnostic indicates this as well along with others.

For The Love of Music 05-27-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 965980)
i agree that it could be the Netgear Orbi mesh network. Everything else works so well with great coverage that I am a bit reticent to change over to something else just for a small improvement in audio SQ. What Orbi support could never explain is why I needed to add a switch in the first place when the Orbi Router and satellites have enough ports to do job in the first place.

Is the Orbi satellite wired or wireless? If it’s wireless and you coming out of it into your DCS bridge, that may be where it’s an issue.

Puma Cat 05-27-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 966215)
I run an Eeros mesh, and it has zero issues with Ring and their self diagnostic indicates this as well along with others.

That's great to know, thanks!

Still-One 05-27-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 966216)
Is the Orbi satellite wired or wireless? If it’s wireless and you coming out of it into your DCS bridge, that may be where it’s an issue.

Both my DCS Upsampler and SonicTransporter i5 (where Roon and my music reside) are hardwired to a switch that is hardwired to the main Orbi Router.

wklie 05-29-2019 10:01 PM

So it's Orbi router - Trendnet switch - dCS Upsampler. Correct?

I believe the Orbi router has 1000Mbps Ethernet ports.

What's your Trendnet switch model? Is it a 1000Mbps or 100Mbps switch?

What speed is your dCS Ethernet port running at? 1000Mbps or 100Mbps? If your Trendnet switch is a 1000Mbps Ethernet, it should show two different colors for the speed of a particular port so that you can find out it's running at 1000Mbps or 100Mbps.

If any of the above is running at 100Mbps, then one possible cause for the problem you were having might be related to how the 1000Mbps is made to run at 100Mbps, resulting in different network traffic patterns. The insertion of a switch to cure Roon playback is a common solution for another brand of network amplifier. Before that becomes common knowledge, Chris Connaker also found the same solution for an unspecified endpoint, described in a thread he created in his own forum.

Still-One 05-29-2019 10:14 PM

I replaced my long Ethernet run this afternoon and hope to have found the source of my problems. The new switch is now functioning and I await the optical modules arrival.

Puma Cat 05-30-2019 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 966574)
I replaced my long Ethernet run this afternoon and hope to have found the source of my problems. The new switch is now functioning and I await the optical modules arrival.

Good news, Jim.

Still-One 06-02-2019 08:36 AM

I received a message that the opticalModule should ship Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

Puma Cat 06-02-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 967019)
I received a message that the opticalModule should ship Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

Cool!

Puma Cat 06-05-2019 05:18 PM

Just a note that the Sonore OpticalModule arrived today. Turns out it was shipped by Small Green Computer and not Sonore.

I've got the new run of fiber (LC/LC vs. the existing SC/SC) laid out and will let the system warm up a good hour before putting in the OpticalModule.

Will report back later today...stay tuned.

Hope Jim gets his soon, too.

Puma Cat 06-05-2019 09:09 PM

Upon first listen, the OpticalModule made the fiber-based digital streaming system notably quieter and more holographic in presentation.

That being said, running the OpticalModule with my 9V iFi iPower "low noise" SMPS, it was running pretty dang toasty; even warmer than the Sonore microRendu.

So...I've been playing games with switching around powers supplies, to some good effect, I think.

Starting out today, using my 9V iFi iPower "low noise"(?-:puzzled-21: ) SMPS to power the OpticalModule, it was plugged into my Shunyata Triton. My UpTone Audio LPS-1 was powering the microRendu at 7V as it has done continually since 2017, the PC for its MeanWell 7.5V transformer brick is a Shunyata Venom 14 PC also plugged into the Triton. The upstream TP-Link MC220L FMC was powered by a Jameco 9V Reliapro LPS, plugged into my Shunyata Hydra 4 (which in turn is plugged into the wall with a Shunyata Diamondback PC).

As the OpticalModule was getting pretty toasty running at 9V, so I swapped things around, with respect to power supplies: I set the LPS-1 to 5V to power the OpticalModule, moved the Jameco 9V LPS from the upstream FMC to power the microRendu, put the iFi iPower 9V into Hydra 4 to power the upstream FMC. All plugged into the Shunyata power distributors as before.

Overall, this second power configuration, appears, at least initially, to sound better than when the iFi was powering the OpticalModule; it seems even quieter and smoother, more natural-sounding. And, the microRendu sounds pretty dang good with the 9V Jameco Reliapro LPS. I think that the iFi iPower was adding contributing noise when powering the OpticalModule. Last but not least, the OpticalModule runs considerably cooler now at 5V than at 9V.

I'll stay with this configuration until my Jameco 5V LPS arrives tomorrow. If I were to hazard a guess, the system will sound a bit better if I can get that iFi iPower 9V SMPS completely out of the system.

More later, stay tuned.

Ventoux 06-05-2019 09:43 PM

Nice! thanks for testing.

Still-One 06-06-2019 07:18 AM

I have finally received tracking information and my unit is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Puma Cat 06-06-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 967555)
I have finally received tracking information and my unit is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Great to hear, Jim.

Still-One 06-06-2019 04:39 PM

I have been considering my options for inserting the opticalModule into my network. I am trying to determine which of the two connections will be least likely to offset any gains I might realize from isolating my Upsampler using that short run of fiber optic cable between my switch and the opticalModule.

Currently all of my "network" devices (Modem, wireless router, Small Green Computer i5 and switch) are located in a upstairs closet. I have 50' run of Ethernet (which I could shorten a bit) from the switch to my dCS Upsampler in my lower level 2-channel room.

When the opticalmodule arrives tomorrow I can either place the optical module 1 foot away from the optical connection on the switch. In theory that will be isolated from the network noise "but" will that long run of ethernet potentially add back in any noise.

The second option is to insert my older non optical switch in the closet and move the optical switch downstairs close to my Upsmapler after the long run of ethernet. The long run of ethernet would connect to the switch then the output of the switch would be a short run of optical to the opticalModule and then a very short run of ethernet to the Upsampler.
This option adds another switch into the mix which "could" add noise.

The only other option might be to leave the optical switch in the closet then using a long run of optical cable down to the opticalModule placed near the Upsampler.

Thoughts

Puma Cat 06-06-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 967619)
I have been considering my options for inserting the opticalModule into my network. I am trying to determine which of the two connections will be least likely to offset any gains I might realize from isolating my Upsampler using that short run of fiber optic cable between my switch and the opticalModule.

Currently all of my "network" devices (Modem, wireless router, Small Green Computer i5 and switch) are located in a upstairs closet. I have 50' run of Ethernet (which I could shorten a bit) from the switch to my dCS Upsampler in my lower level 2-channel room.

When the opticalmodule arrives tomorrow I can either place the optical module 1 foot away from the optical connection on the switch. In theory that will be isolated from the network noise "but" will that long run of ethernet potentially add back in any noise.

The second option is to insert my older non optical switch in the closet and move the optical switch downstairs close to my Upsmapler after the long run of ethernet. The long run of ethernet would connect to the switch then the output of the switch would be a short run of optical to the opticalModule and then a very short run of ethernet to the Upsampler.
This option adds another switch into the mix which "could" add noise.

The only other option might be to leave the optical switch in the closet then using a long run of optical cable down to the opticalModule placed near the Upsampler.

Thoughts

In my own experience, the best thing to do would be to use a long run of fiber. That's what I'm doing and it has worked very well.

I just got my Jameco 5V LPS in about 30 minutes ago, and am using it to power the OpticalModule instead of the Uptone Audio LPS-1 (as mentioned above, when I was using the LPS-1 to power the OM, I was using a Jameco 9V LPS to power the microRendu; still trying to decide which sounds better...:scratch2:)

I've been reading a very lengthy, very technical thread at CA originally started by John Swenson (the designer for the Uptone Audio LPS-1 as well as all of the Sonore streamers) on the impact of low-impedance and high-impedance leakage currents from, in particular, switch-mode power supplies (aka SMPS) in digital streaming playback....it is been quite enlightening and lays quite a solid foundation as to why we hear such notable differences between USB cables, Ethernet cables, and Ethernet switches. Its very much a technical discussion about low-impedance and high-impedance leakage currents and their deleterious effects.

Anyhoo, I digress; back to the OpticalModule....

Still-One 06-07-2019 11:46 AM

The opticalModule and LPS arrived this morning. I am all connected and so far everything sounds very good. There is a difference but it will take some time to figure out what I am hearing (or not hearing). It does sound quieter.

Initially I inserted the device right after the switch with the long run of ethernet to the Upsampler. I have ordered a long optical cable that should arrive this weekend. At some point I will replace the long run of ethernet with the longer optical cable and place that between the switch and the opticalModule which will be very close to the Upsampler.

Puma Cat 06-07-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 967752)
The opticalModule and LPS arrived this morning. I am all connected and so far everything sounds very good. There is a difference but it will take some time to figure out what I am hearing (or not hearing). It does sound quieter.

Initially I inserted the device right after the switch with the long run of ethernet to the Upsampler. I have ordered a long optical cable that should arrive this weekend. At some point I will replace the long run of ethernet with the longer optical cable and place that between the switch and the opticalModule which will be very close to the Upsampler.

Cool, Jim, thanks for the update.

Play around with various configs and see what sounds best. I'm interested in what you find out. Are you using your Keces to power the OM? It runs VERY warm (hot, actually) at 9V; it runs considerably cooler at 5V.

Still-One 06-07-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 967754)
Cool, Jim, thanks for the update.

Play around with various configs and see what sounds best. I'm interested in what you find out. Are you using your Keces to power the OM? It runs VERY warm (hot, actually) at 9V; it runs considerably cooler at 5V.

I ordered the SGC LPS. It is funny that the power supply is about 4 times the size of the opticalModule. The display shows about +/- 5v so far.

When I had the GigaFoil I also had the Keces P3 for a couple of days. The dropouts were driving me nuts so it never received a fair review. My initial thoughts were that the Keces muddied up the sound and I was tempted to go back to the power supply that came with the GigaFOIL . I returned the GigaFoil, Keces and AQ Diamond cable.

Still-One 06-09-2019 11:41 PM

I received the long optical run this afternoon so I was able to replace the long Ethernet cable and move the opticalModule close to the dCS Upsampler. I will probably pick up a better short cable for that last .75 meter between the module and upsampler.

What really surprised me was how hot both the opticalModule and its power supply were as I disconnected them for the move from upper to lower levels. That is by far the hottest any piece of my gear has been.

Puma Cat 06-10-2019 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 968107)
I received the long optical run this afternoon so I was able to replace the long Ethernet cable and move the opticalModule close to the dCS Upsampler. I will probably pick up a better short cable for that last .75 meter between the module and upsampler.

What really surprised me was how hot both the opticalModule and its power supply were as I disconnected them for the move from upper to lower levels. That is by far the hottest any piece of my gear has been.

Jim,
What voltage was the OM being powered by? I found the OM got REALLY hot at 9V; it runs MUCH cooler at 5V.

Still-One 06-10-2019 12:08 AM

The display says about 4.8.

Puma Cat 06-10-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 968109)
The display says about 4.8.

Hmmm....mine is running pretty cool at 5V; cooler than my microRendu.

Mine is sitting up on two little rubber blocks to allow it to get some air underneath it.