AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Sonore's OpticalModule and SystemOptique (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45868)

Still-One 05-29-2019 10:14 PM

I replaced my long Ethernet run this afternoon and hope to have found the source of my problems. The new switch is now functioning and I await the optical modules arrival.

Puma Cat 05-30-2019 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 966574)
I replaced my long Ethernet run this afternoon and hope to have found the source of my problems. The new switch is now functioning and I await the optical modules arrival.

Good news, Jim.

Still-One 06-02-2019 08:36 AM

I received a message that the opticalModule should ship Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

Puma Cat 06-02-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 967019)
I received a message that the opticalModule should ship Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

Cool!

Puma Cat 06-05-2019 05:18 PM

Just a note that the Sonore OpticalModule arrived today. Turns out it was shipped by Small Green Computer and not Sonore.

I've got the new run of fiber (LC/LC vs. the existing SC/SC) laid out and will let the system warm up a good hour before putting in the OpticalModule.

Will report back later today...stay tuned.

Hope Jim gets his soon, too.

Puma Cat 06-05-2019 09:09 PM

Upon first listen, the OpticalModule made the fiber-based digital streaming system notably quieter and more holographic in presentation.

That being said, running the OpticalModule with my 9V iFi iPower "low noise" SMPS, it was running pretty dang toasty; even warmer than the Sonore microRendu.

So...I've been playing games with switching around powers supplies, to some good effect, I think.

Starting out today, using my 9V iFi iPower "low noise"(?-:puzzled-21: ) SMPS to power the OpticalModule, it was plugged into my Shunyata Triton. My UpTone Audio LPS-1 was powering the microRendu at 7V as it has done continually since 2017, the PC for its MeanWell 7.5V transformer brick is a Shunyata Venom 14 PC also plugged into the Triton. The upstream TP-Link MC220L FMC was powered by a Jameco 9V Reliapro LPS, plugged into my Shunyata Hydra 4 (which in turn is plugged into the wall with a Shunyata Diamondback PC).

As the OpticalModule was getting pretty toasty running at 9V, so I swapped things around, with respect to power supplies: I set the LPS-1 to 5V to power the OpticalModule, moved the Jameco 9V LPS from the upstream FMC to power the microRendu, put the iFi iPower 9V into Hydra 4 to power the upstream FMC. All plugged into the Shunyata power distributors as before.

Overall, this second power configuration, appears, at least initially, to sound better than when the iFi was powering the OpticalModule; it seems even quieter and smoother, more natural-sounding. And, the microRendu sounds pretty dang good with the 9V Jameco Reliapro LPS. I think that the iFi iPower was adding contributing noise when powering the OpticalModule. Last but not least, the OpticalModule runs considerably cooler now at 5V than at 9V.

I'll stay with this configuration until my Jameco 5V LPS arrives tomorrow. If I were to hazard a guess, the system will sound a bit better if I can get that iFi iPower 9V SMPS completely out of the system.

More later, stay tuned.

Ventoux 06-05-2019 09:43 PM

Nice! thanks for testing.

Still-One 06-06-2019 07:18 AM

I have finally received tracking information and my unit is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Puma Cat 06-06-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 967555)
I have finally received tracking information and my unit is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Great to hear, Jim.

Still-One 06-06-2019 04:39 PM

I have been considering my options for inserting the opticalModule into my network. I am trying to determine which of the two connections will be least likely to offset any gains I might realize from isolating my Upsampler using that short run of fiber optic cable between my switch and the opticalModule.

Currently all of my "network" devices (Modem, wireless router, Small Green Computer i5 and switch) are located in a upstairs closet. I have 50' run of Ethernet (which I could shorten a bit) from the switch to my dCS Upsampler in my lower level 2-channel room.

When the opticalmodule arrives tomorrow I can either place the optical module 1 foot away from the optical connection on the switch. In theory that will be isolated from the network noise "but" will that long run of ethernet potentially add back in any noise.

The second option is to insert my older non optical switch in the closet and move the optical switch downstairs close to my Upsmapler after the long run of ethernet. The long run of ethernet would connect to the switch then the output of the switch would be a short run of optical to the opticalModule and then a very short run of ethernet to the Upsampler.
This option adds another switch into the mix which "could" add noise.

The only other option might be to leave the optical switch in the closet then using a long run of optical cable down to the opticalModule placed near the Upsampler.

Thoughts