AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Kimber 12TC speaker cable - thoughts? Options? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=47147)

Matt Lan 11-29-2019 05:20 PM

Kimber 12TC speaker cable - thoughts? Options?

I will need longer speaker cables for my new home install (15 feet?) and leaning to something simple, well made, copper - and not crazy expensive.

Thinking of sticking with Kimber 12TC, though I have never tried anything else. Soliciting advice here - are there other better choices at that price point +/-?

Last time I bought my shorter run of 12TC, I bought from AudioAdvisor. Is there a better place ($ and service) I should be looking, assuming I go with Kimber again?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Cheers

Matt

Antonmb 11-29-2019 07:32 PM

In the same price range I would consider Shunyata Venom. I’d check with Ivan.

Puma Cat 11-29-2019 07:45 PM

Hi Matt,
I've never used KimberKable, but I've been using Shunyata Venom speaker cables for about 3 years now, and I have been very, very happy with them. They brought a very notable improvement to the speaker cables I was using previously. They are all copper and very natural-sounding, clean, quiet, and musical. They are exceptionally well-made, durable, attractive, very flexible & easy to route. They have a novel termination system called STIS (Shunyata Termination Interchange System-?) so that either banana plugs or spades or a mix of both can be used. And, if your components or needs change, you can swap between bananas and/or spade terminations very easily.

Looking online at retail pricing, a 5M pair of Venom speaker cables have an MSRP of approximately $1180; 15 feeet of Kimber 12TC is ~$1350, so you'd likely save a coupla hundred bucks. If you reach out to Ivan, I'm sure he will quote you a good price & can place an order for the length required.

Cheers!

Puma Cat 11-29-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 987323)
In the same price range I would consider Shunyata Venom. I’d check with Ivan.

Ha! You beat me to it, Tony! :thumbsup:

Antonmb 11-29-2019 07:53 PM

Kimber 12TC speaker cable - thoughts? Options?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 987328)
Ha! You beat me to it, Tony! :thumbsup:

Great minds think alike, or as an old friend used to tell me, “no two fools differ.” [emoji23]

Puma Cat 11-29-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 987331)
Great minds think alike, or as an old friend used to tell me, “no two fools differ.” [emoji23]

Too true! :thumbsup:

Masterlu 11-29-2019 11:51 PM

Gents... Much appreciated! :tiphat:

prepress 11-30-2019 06:58 AM

I, too, use Kimber 12TC and have no complaints, nor urge to change them out. I'm using 2 4-ft pairs in bi-wire mode. For 5 meters, I've seen prices of $1,478 and $1,454 with standard spade termination, but I'm sure Ivan can give you a better price than either. I saw 5 meters of Venom with welded copper spades for $1340. I have no experience with Shunyata speaker cables and so won't get into which is better, but by all accounts the Venoms are quite good (which isn't hard to believe), and again, Ivan can give you a good price. He sells both brands, if I'm not mistaken.

I guess it comes down to what you want: familiarity, system synergy, price, etc. I wouldn't think you could go wrong with either. If Ivan has a loaner pair of Venoms, you could do a direct comparison in your system, then buy accordingly.

Matt Lan 11-30-2019 06:49 PM

Thanks guys, great advice. Stephen, I still owe you a call - family getting back to normal after a tough stretch...

Ivan, I'll definitely be reaching out.

Cheers

Matt

Masterlu 11-30-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Lane (Post 987440)
Thanks guys, great advice. Stephen, I still owe you a call - family getting back to normal after a tough stretch...

Ivan, I'll definitely be reaching out.

Cheers

Matt

https://d2kdkfqxnvpuu9.cloudfront.ne...jpg?1319391463