AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What Are Your DBpoweramp Settings? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43327)

Audiophilehi 07-07-2018 03:50 PM

What Are Your DBpoweramp Settings?

I just downloaded DBpoweramp for my Mac to RIP CD's. Just tried ripping the MQA CD's I just purchased and getting errors on a couple of the tracks.

I'm using the "Ripping Method" settings "Secure (Recover Errors)" When I change to "Burst (Fastest Ripping, No Error Recovery)" all is good.

The CD's themselves appear to be perfect. No scratches or scuffs.

John Jordan 07-10-2018 03:19 PM

Paul-

While I am not an expert, I set the recovery errors to 160 with a max time of 20 minutes.
If there are more, I'm not interested in the rip. Sometimes, using a different CD ROM will rip better. I use a 2008 MacPro with a newly installed DVD as well as a portable usb plug as a back up. Also, cleaning the CD with a bit of Windex can help.

My rips are CD's, 44.1 many borrowed from public libraries and some are messy. Always listen. A few errors may not be noticeable.

Audiophilehi 07-10-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Jordan (Post 922660)
Paul-

While I am not an expert, I set the recovery errors to 160 with a max time of 20 minutes.
If there are more, I'm not interested in the rip. Sometimes, using a different CD ROM will rip better. I use a 2008 MacPro with a newly installed DVD as well as a portable usb plug as a back up. Also, cleaning the CD with a bit of Windex can help.

My rips are CD's, 44.1 many borrowed from public libraries and some are messy. Always listen. A few errors may not be noticeable.

Thanks John!!

I replaced the USB cable and all is good. :thumbsup:

Still-One 07-10-2018 08:14 PM

I ripped a CD using dbpoweramp twice, one with a single fast pass and a second using multiple passes. If there was a difference I could not tell them apart. I now go with lossless Level 1, unless there is a major issue.

Formerly YB-2 09-07-2018 10:32 AM

Ran DBpoweramp for the first time last evening and couldn't be more pleased (well....... maybe if it would take the CD out of the jewel case and load & unload into the drive for me ;)). It wouldn't error-check on the first CD (likely not in the error-check library) but did fine on the second. Re-ran the first CD and all was well from there forward. Down to start ripping and downloading FLAC files into my DAP.

jdandy 09-07-2018 11:42 AM

Paul.......Using dBpoweramp I rip to FLAC with encoder setting at Level 5. The settings are: Secure, Query Ripping Results with AccurateRip, Cross-Pressing Verification, Send Fingerprints.

Audiophilehi 09-07-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 930398)
Ran DBpoweramp for the first time last evening and couldn't be more pleased (well....... maybe if it would take the CD out of the jewel case and load & unload into the drive for me ;)). It wouldn't error-check on the first CD (likely not in the error-check library) but did fine on the second. Re-ran the first CD and all was well from there forward. Down to start ripping and downloading FLAC files into my DAP.

Hi Glenn.....I'm loving DBpoweramp as well. :thumbsup:

Audiophilehi 09-07-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 930401)
Paul.......Using dBpoweramp I rip to FLAC with encoder setting at Level 5. The settings are: Secure, Query Ripping Results with AccurateRip, Cross-Pressing Verification, Send Fingerprints.

Thanks Dan.....I'm using the same settings. My problem earlier was with the USB cable. When I replaced it all went well.:thumbsup:

Antonmb 09-07-2018 03:08 PM

I use the same settings as Dan, running on a Mac Air. I used to use an Apple cd drive but would get the occasional error and finally switched to a Samsung external drive, which has been error-free. Not all disc drives are created equal.

Yamaki 09-07-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 930401)
Paul.......Send Fingerprints.

huh????? :scratch2:

jdandy 09-07-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 930447)
huh????? :scratch2:

Michael.......The program sends the results of the accuracy of the ripped files to dBpoweramp's online database.

Formerly YB-2 09-09-2018 01:36 PM

The ripping continue, but have a question?
When I drop a CD into the internal drive it is recognized and starts ripping as soon as I hit the "RIP" button in the upper left. However, it defaults to my internal HD's 'Music' file and I would like to rip to the micro SD chip I have inserted. However, I cannot find any way to direct the CD being ripped to the SD chip. No big deal to 'drag-&-drop' the completed file, but would like to get rid of the additional couple of steps.

crwilli 09-09-2018 04:38 PM

I always saved them to my desktop and then moved them. The reason being I have an internal SSD and it is fast. I can be moving the multiple albums to the NAS while I am ripping more CDs.

Antonmb 09-09-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 930775)
I always saved them to my desktop and then moved them. The reason being I have an internal SSD and it is fast. I can be moving the multiple albums to the NAS while I am ripping more CDs.

I do the same, rip to my Mac internal SSD first, then move them in batches later. It’s much faster, especially if I need to do some editing of metadata after ripping.

Formerly YB-2 09-09-2018 05:13 PM

Very good. Creates a B/U copy at the same time.

All ready ripped 40+ CDs. Only 14-1500 to go. ;)

Craig - are you as wet down there are we are up here? And Florence is still a few days out.

crwilli 09-09-2018 08:22 PM

No Glenn. We have had some showers but nothing that kept me off the golf course the last two days.

Florence has the SC Gov in emergency meetings already but, personally, I am watching the news and not panicked. We are headed to a race near Charlotte this weekend anyway. Timing might work out but we will likely be racing in the rain. The great equalizer.

Formerly YB-2 09-10-2018 06:30 AM

Nothing but wet here for the next 10-days.

When ripping and one hits a track where DBpoweramp tries to re-rip and goes very slowly, do you simply skip that trip?

On about half of the tracks this happens on have found that stopping and re-ripping only the bad track(s) will result in a good download. This happens more frequently on the last track. Wonder if this is a result of a fault with my DVD drive or the production process of CDs?

Am pleasantly surprised that I've used so little of my SD chip. With about 60 CDs ripped only 16GB used. That's ~500 CDs on a 128GB micro SD chip, which is nice.

SAPHANA 09-10-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 930889)
Nothing but wet here for the next 10-days.

When ripping and one hits a track where DBpoweramp tries to re-rip and goes very slowly, do you simply skip that trip?

On about half of the tracks this happens on have found that stopping and re-ripping only the bad track(s) will result in a good download. This happens more frequently on the last track. Wonder if this is a result of a fault with my DVD drive or the production process of CDs?

Am pleasantly surprised that I've used so little of my SD chip. With about 60 CDs ripped only 16GB used. That's ~500 CDs on a 128GB micro SD chip, which is nice.

I have 4 blue-ray/dvd drives (internal and external) to rip CDs in parallel with dbpoweramp. My experience with bad tracks is:
- the super long self-correction process usually does not yield any satisfactory result, so I would simply cancel it;
- even if the self-correction process finishes, and the track shows green color (instead of accurate rip), it’s not accurate, so it will always bother me;
- to re-rip the bad track right away with the same drive can get accurate rip 10% of the time;
- most of the time, to re-rip it with another drive can get accurate rip;
- different drives from the same manufacturer usually have the same results, so I always use another manufacturer’s drive for this.

crwilli 09-10-2018 10:11 AM

I have the same experience as SAPHANA. My PC has multiple drives so if I run into one disc that isn’t ripping, I cancel the whole thing and try it in another drive. That usually goes smoothly. I have no discs that wouldn’t rip eventually.

Formerly YB-2 09-10-2018 08:13 PM

Excellent info. I'll have to break out the other drives. Thanks.

My Japanese pressing of "Brothers in Arms" won't run at all. Makes me wonder if it is HDCD, which is not indicated.

BTW - what does the red 'X' followed by AR indicate? Seems that rip went well enough. Haven't attempted to listen to same yet.

crwilli 09-10-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 930989)
BTW - what does the red 'X' followed by AR indicate? Seems that rip went well enough. Haven't attempted to listen to same yet.

I think it means the RIP wasn’t perfect. IT didn’t match the database check.

I have had that many times but have NEVER heard any issue with those tracks. Or, I have never tried to hear an issue. They still play.

SAPHANA 09-10-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 930989)
Excellent info. I'll have to break out the other drives. Thanks.

My Japanese pressing of "Brothers in Arms" won't run at all. Makes me wonder if it is HDCD, which is not indicated.

It happens to many of my remastered classical music CDs. The way these CD ripping softwares recognize a disc is not magic: it’s simply by track number and track length, so there are chances they think CD a to be CD b by mistake, and this becomes worse if your CD is remastered but track sequence and track length is not changed.

If just one track shows X, I would try the CD in another drive; if all tracks show the same, I would simply ignore it and move on, because it means the online database needs to be revised with a new version for the same CD “fingerprint”.

nicoff 09-10-2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAPHANA (Post 931011)
It happens to many of my remastered classical music CDs. The way these CD ripping softwares recognize a disc is not magic: it’s simply by track number and track length, so there are chances they think CD a to be CD b by mistake, and this becomes worse if your CD is remastered but track sequence and track length is not changed.

If just one track shows X, I would try the CD in another drive; if all tracks show the same, I would simply ignore it and move on, because it means the online database needs to be revised with a new version for the same CD “fingerprint”.

That’s why you need software to fix the metadata.
I use MP3TAG for that. Highly recommended.