AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Has Anyone Tried the SIGMA v2 S/PDIF? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48633)

davedran 09-12-2020 02:16 PM

Has Anyone Tried the SIGMA v2 S/PDIF?

I am currently using Shunyata SIGMA S/PDIF in my system since early 2020 with wonderful results. I previously used a few different high quality cables, but the improvements in this one can be described in two words: coherence and clarity. It made an immediate and stunning improvement in my system.

I see that there is now a V2 available. Have any of you tried it and do you have any opinions?

Dave

thyname 09-12-2020 04:00 PM

The v2 Digital cables were just launched less than two weeks ago. Along with v2 interconnects and speaker cables. Other than dealers, I doubt anyone got them yet.

ervstt 09-14-2020 12:49 PM

Can anyone describe what is new with the SIGMA V2 digital cables compared to the V1 versions?

I suppose te ArNi wire is part of it, but what else?

I looked at the Shunyata website, but couldn't find information about what's been improved compared to the V1 versions.

Puma Cat 09-14-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ervstt (Post 1014534)
Can anyone describe what is new with the SIGMA V2 digital cables compared to the V1 versions?

I looked at the Shunya website, but couldn't find information about what's been improved compared to the V1 versions.

They sound considerably better. From what I've read from first-hand reports, the new Alpha v2 sounds significantly superior to Sigma V1 and by a ways...

zonto 10-19-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ervstt (Post 1014534)

I looked at the Shunyata website, but couldn't find information about what's been improved compared to the V1 versions.

I've been curious about this too, as well as the differences between the Alpha/Sigma NR v1 vs. the Anaconda Zitron S/PDIF cable.

My layman's guesses:
  • Anaconda Zitron --> Alpha/Sigma v1: lost the Zitron circuit in favor of revised filter in Alpha and filter + TAP module in Sigma; retained all copper VTX geometry wiring
  • Alpha/Sigma v1 --> Alpha/Sigma v2: change from all copper to the new silver/copper VTX ArNi wiring; now just one or two TAP modules, respectively

Puma Cat 10-19-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonto (Post 1018204)
I've been curious about this too, as well as the differences between the Alpha/Sigma NR v1 vs. the Anaconda Zitron S/PDIF cable.

My layman's guesses:
  • Anaconda Zitron --> Alpha/Sigma v1: lost the Zitron circuit in favor of revised filter in Alpha and filter + TAP module in Sigma; retained all copper VTX geometry wiring
  • Alpha/Sigma v1 --> Alpha/Sigma v2: change from all copper to the new silver/copper VTX ArNi wiring; now just one or two TAP modules, respectively

Just a correction in the interests of accuracy, the single module in the new Alpha V2 S/PDIF and the two modules in the Sigma V2 S/PDIF digital cables are CMode filters, not TAP modules.

Parabellum 12-23-2020 08:37 PM

It’s been 3 months since the first post. Has anyone compared them head to head yet?

zonto 07-05-2021 01:46 AM

Bump now that it’s been another six months.

Puma Cat 07-05-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonto (Post 1040979)
Bump now that it’s been another six months.

Rent them in and find out for yourself.

SCAudiophile 07-05-2021 08:49 PM

I will say a couple things...

V2 Alpha and Sigma are a huge jump from V1, much bigger than even hoped for on the power, analog and digital that I've tried and owned. Alpha NR V2 at least on powercords easily bested Sigma NR V1 by an appreciable difference.(i did not have Alpha v1 digital or analog to compare in those weeks as I had moved to Sigma V1 since having Alpha V1). Sigma NR V2 was an even bigger return.

I still very happily have a very long run of Anaconda Ztron analog XLR that is excellent. V2 cables would beat that pair by at least a couple levels of improvement in every category, but given the length and cost to upgrade, I've not yet done so.

Power cords in generation V2 and the new Omega....nothing Shunyata has done in the past no matter how good, can touch them, end of story.

An overall comment...

We need more people here who share their experience with cables/gear and make detailed posts after taking feedback, time and benefits of someone else's investment of time and money.