AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Looks like Thiel Audio is officially done. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41926)

metaphacts 01-19-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicoff (Post 893729)

Thanks for the read permission. I originally read this some time ago. It is certainly illuminating to apply its tenets to many of the industry successions/acquisitions over the time since the article was written.

doggiehowser 01-20-2018 01:08 AM

Thanks nicoff. Good read.

nicoff 01-23-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 893927)
Thanks nicoff. Good read.

You are welcome!

FreddieFerric 02-14-2018 05:52 PM

Very sad to read of Theil's demise. I had sort of figuted they'd be in for some tough sledding after Jim's passing, but to sell out to investors who had zero experience in audio or technology was sort of suicide.

godwinaj 02-14-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieFerric (Post 899467)
Very sad to read of Theil's demise. I had sort of figuted they'd be in for some tough sledding after Jim's passing, but to sell out to investors who had zero experience in audio or technology was sort of suicide.

Brand suicide is exactly what I would call it.

Their *NEW* products were nothing close to what made Thiel special. I always wanted a set of CS3.7. But I'd only seen them in 2 places a dealer in Cincinnati and at CES. The time I saw them at CES it was the Bryston booth that had them hooked to their Amps.:tears:

audioguy3107 02-14-2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwinaj (Post 899533)
Brand suicide is exactly what I would call it.

Their *NEW* products were nothing close to what made Thiel special. I always wanted a set of CS3.7. But I'd only seen them in 2 places a dealer in Cincinnati and at CES. The time I saw them at CES it was the Bryston booth that had them hooked to their Amps.:tears:

I listened to the 3.7s back when they were new, a fantastic loudspeaker to be sure. I was close to pulling the trigger on a pair when my Avalons came up for sale. They were very natural and reall y got out of the way of the music. It’s also a testament to them for how few you see come up for sale on the secondhand market.

- Buck

godwinaj 02-14-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 899552)
I listened to the 3.7s back when they were new, a fantastic loudspeaker to be sure. I was close to pulling the trigger on a pair when my Avalons came up for sale. They were very natural and reall y got out of the way of the music. It’s also a testament to them for how few you see come up for sale on the secondhand market.

- Buck

IIRC they were built like tanks. Ogled them often when I was demoing and buying my B&W 703 back in the day.

Maybe the few we do see on the secondhand market will come down in price since there isn't a place to get parts or service anymore.

audioguy3107 02-14-2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwinaj (Post 899561)
IIRC they were built like tanks. Ogled them often when I was demoing and buying my B&W 703 back in the day.

Maybe the few we do see on the secondhand market will come down in price since there isn't a place to get parts or service anymore.

I haven’t been keeping much track of the Thiel situation in detail.....
Is there any support for owners going forward or are they totally out of luck once something goes south?

- Buck

godwinaj 02-15-2018 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 899562)
I haven’t been keeping much track of the Thiel situation in detail.....
Is there any support for owners going forward or are they totally out of luck once something goes south?

- Buck

Maybe someone else knows a source. But this is what you get when you go to the website.

https://i.imgur.com/rkMIlN3.png

doggiehowser 02-15-2018 01:21 AM

The guy who used to run Thiel’s service department has bought over the rights to service the Classic Thiel speakers - is not the PSB speakers masquerading as Thiels.

So good news.

He’s also working on special edition upgrades to the Classic speakers. Might be interesting.