AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ayre (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   C-5xeMP (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36511)

AudioGremlin 07-22-2016 05:48 PM

What year did Ayre cease production of the C-5xeMP? Just wondering why the 7 is still in production and the 5 was dropped.

essjay 07-22-2016 07:29 PM

they stopped making them when the new KX5/VX5's got released, a few years ago.

BillK 07-22-2016 07:59 PM

Disc players are difficult; they must be designed around a specific disc mechanism and the mechanisms go out of production regularly, forcing manufacturers to purchase a "lifetime supply" for any products they make.

I suspect, but do not know, they could no longer source the drive mechanism or some other key component of the C-5xeMP but have the parts to continue making the CX-7eMP, as the latter is "just" a CD player where the former was a universal player based on a universal DVD drive.

AudioGremlin 07-23-2016 03:06 AM

Ah, thanks guys. Now I recall reading somewhere that Charles Hansen had to mortgage his house in the early days just to provide enough backup spares to satisfy the customers warranty on his disc players
That explanation makes perfect sense in an every changing world but its also reassuring to know that Ayre being the excellent and caring company will support their customers products as long as they can.

imprezap2 07-23-2016 04:13 AM

CX-5e MP is still a great player though if you can get one second hand.

Charles Hansen mentioned on a forum sometime ago that Ayre would not make any new integrated players anymore, but they would make some new transports (which could be connected to the new QX-5)

essjay 07-23-2016 04:39 AM

I read Ayre uses Oppo's for their disc spinner internals.....is that not correct?

BillK 07-23-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by essjay (Post 793581)
I read Ayre uses Oppo's for their disc spinner internals.....is that not correct?

It varies:
  • The C5xe/C5xeMP used a Pioneer universal DVD transport that Ayre modified to increase its rigidity.
  • The CX-7/7e uses a DVS DVD-ROM drive.
  • The DX-5 DSD started life as a Oppo BDP-83 that was then very heavily modified and had large sections completely rebuilt.

AudioGremlin 07-23-2016 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imprezap2 (Post 793578)
CX-5e MP is still a great player though if you can get one second hand.

Charles Hansen mentioned on a forum sometime ago that Ayre would not make any new integrated players anymore, but they would make some new transports (which could be connected to the new QX-5)

The reason I asked, I've managed to locate a new (unused amazingly) CX-5e MP from a German high-end retailer, its being shipped as I write. At 2/3 the original cost with a full five year warranty. Lets hope Charles keeps at least one drive for me, just in case. I have the CX-7e MP that I like very much but I also have many hybrid SA-CDs so theres my dilemma :)

audioguy3107 07-23-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioGremlin (Post 793613)
The reason I asked, I've managed to locate a new (unused amazingly) CX-5e MP from a German high-end retailer, its being shipped as I write. At 2/3 the original cost with a full five year warranty. Lets hope Charles keeps at least one drive for me, just in case. I have the CX-7e MP that I like very much but I also have many hybrid SA-CDs so theres my dilemma :)

I think you'll love it......as you can see from my sig., I've been a happy owner for awhile now, it's a very smooth sounding player, very natural and built like a tank. It was Stereophile magazine's John Atkinson's reference digital player for a number of years, and with all the toys they get to play with, that's pretty high praise. I've never felt the need to upgrade, plus I still do have quite a few DVD-Audio discs that sound great in high rez.

- Buck

AudioGremlin 07-26-2016 02:26 AM

My shipment has gone from Hamburg to Cologne overnight, doesn't time go real slow when you're waiting for a delivery lol.