AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   D'Agostino and ARC REF 250 Demo (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13910)

SRT-10 Viper 05-05-2012 04:29 PM

D'Agostino and ARC REF 250 Demo

I spent several hours at my dealer in Ann Arbor listening to Wilson Sasha's with D'Agostinos and REF250s. The Preamp was the new ARC REF5SE with 24 hours on it. I have the ARC REF40 and went thinking, based on the synergy, I would like the REF250s. To my surprise, I liked the D'Agostinos more than the REF250s. It had the dynamics of solid state with the tight bass but what shocked me was the top end which was detailed yet smooth sounding. The D'Agostinos startled me on some passages like I've never been from an amp before.

Call me impressed!!! :thumbsup:

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...iper/sasha.jpg

PS: I also spent time with Wilson's new XLF... I'll post some pics/video in the Wilson forum

PHC1 05-05-2012 04:32 PM

D'Agostino's will do that. :music: Looking forward to your XLF impressions. :thumbsup:

BlueChiaro 05-05-2012 05:06 PM

Some mighty nice gear on the floor, there... :yes:

jpgr4blu 05-05-2012 11:03 PM

Hi SRT-10 Viper:
I'm thinking of Dags v Ref 250s v Lamm 1.2s for my system. Can you give a little more detail on the comparison between Dags and Ref 250s? Were the Dags much better or just a little in the bottom end? Can the Dags match the great ARC midrange? How about soundstage?
Was the comparison overall a close call or did you very clearly prefer the Dags?
Also, do you think you prefer the Dags to Lamm 1.2s? Why or why not?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

SRT-10 Viper 05-06-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgr4blu (Post 306503)
Hi SRT-10 Viper:
I'm thinking of Dags v Ref 250s v Lamm 1.2s for my system. Can you give a little more detail on the comparison between Dags and Ref 250s? Were the Dags much better or just a little in the bottom end? Can the Dags match the great ARC midrange? How about soundstage?
Was the comparison overall a close call or did you very clearly prefer the Dags?
Also, do you think you prefer the Dags to Lamm 1.2s? Why or why not?
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I was suprised by the D'Ags... I believe the difference was significant. The treble and midrange were better on the D'Ags then both the REF250s and my Lamms, which I didn't expect. The bass was tighter then the bass on the REF250s and closer to the Bass on the Lamms yet still tighter. I think you should demo the trio to determine your preference. To me the D'Ags performed better then I expected and more then a small margin.

turntable 05-06-2012 05:14 AM

I would agree Chuck

I heard the ARC REF150's driving the sasha's and the Stereo D'ag was better sounding in most respects on the short listen.

A bit different at home where the Stereo Dag was not as 3d in the upper frequencies, especially the "air". bass and mids are great with the dag's. On of the few SS amps that I have heard that does not constrict the bass as you pump up the volume - it gave the bass some natural spread while maintaining complete control.

cheers

Elberoth 05-06-2012 06:47 AM

I wonder how does the Dag Stereo compare to Monos ... anyone ?

PHC1 05-06-2012 08:33 AM

As an ex Lamm and ARC owner, to my ears the D'Ag amps are better across the board. While it would usually be pretty easy to just characterize the sound and mention the few strengths of one amp vs the other, etc... it is more difficult with D'Ag amps because they make you wonder how and why they sound soooo much better across the board. Really, they are a must audition in a well setup system and especially with Wilson speakers. Then one can appreciate it for themselves. I don't even like to talk about them because I am so happy with them and it would come across as I am biased and boasting. Go listen for yourself. :music: Let's not forget how much they cost too, at that price they better smoke the competition. :D

turntable 05-06-2012 08:54 AM

You are biased and boasting Serge. :D:D:D

Heh heh

Yes the price is a killer

PHC1 05-06-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 306575)
You are biased and boasting Serge. :D:D:D

Heh heh

I blame Chuck for starting this thread! :D