AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Revel Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Revel Ultima 2 Line? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2792)

Uberbrown 12-02-2009 04:20 PM

Revel Ultima 2 Line?

Anyone have any experience with these? Salon2, Studio2, Gem 2?

Do they warrant this statement?
Stereophile: Revel Ultima Salon2 loudspeaker
Quote:

Revel Ultima Salon2 is the best-performing, most natural-sounding full-range loudspeaker I have auditioned in my listening room since I started writing for Stereophile in 1984. The Revel design team has smoothed the Salon1's upper midrange while retaining that award-winning speaker's powerful bass extension, timbral accuracy, and superb dynamics. The result is an open and transparent top end, an utterly neutral and grain-free midrange, and bass that is extended and pitch-perfect. The Ultima Salon2 does all this while sounding completely neutral, with top-to-bottom smoothness, coherence, and remarkable resolution of detail.

PHC1 12-02-2009 04:28 PM

Like I mentioned in another post about choosing speakers. It will come down to synergy with partnering gear. An ultra linear, revealing speaker like the Revel Salon2 will require refined sounding partnering gear and a room that addresses their needs. I'm sure if those conditions are met, it would be a very impressive system.

Uberbrown 12-02-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 50937)
Like I mentioned in another post about choosing speakers. It will come down to synergy with partnering gear. An ultra linear, revealing speaker like the Revel Salon2 will require refined sounding partnering gear and a room that addresses their needs. I'm sure if those conditions are met, it would be a very impressive system.

Do you mean smooth, like Lamm, or even McIntosh? As opposed to Krell which may be too forward with a revealing speaker?

PHC1 12-02-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uberbrown (Post 50939)
Do you mean smooth, like Lamm, or even McIntosh? As opposed to Krell which may be too forward with a revealing speaker?

That would depend on personal preference. Any of those 3 as well as another dozen of others can make someone very happy depending on their listening preference. One person's resolving, open and detailed is another's fatiguing, hyper analytical and too revealing.

cmalak 12-02-2009 07:33 PM

wpines on AA member who owns one of the Revel Ultima 2 speakers (I forget which model). Here is a thread he has on the Revel speakers: http://audioaficionado.org/general-s...350-revel.html

Mikado463 03-19-2016 02:55 PM

Soon to be another member of the Revel team .........Studio 2's ordered earlier this week. My 30 plus years of di-poles (Maggies and Logans) will come to an end.

crwilli 03-19-2016 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 768190)
Soon to be another member of the Revel team .........Studio 2's ordered earlier this week. My 30 plus years of di-poles (Maggies and Logans) will come to an end.

Congratulations Dave!

Jack in Wilmington 03-19-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Awesome Dave. Congrats. Will you sell the ML's, or use them in another application?

oddeophile 03-19-2016 09:39 PM

Quote:

you'll love em. I adore mine.

Mikado463 03-19-2016 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington (Post 768260)
Will you sell the ML's, or use them in another application?

Jack,

My Martin Logan Spires will be for sale

pete6737 03-19-2016 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had the salon2s in my system since December 2014. It was love at first listen. All the sonic attributes in the review you quoted seems dead on to me. I initially was looking at Audio Research gear to pair with my new Salk Soundscape 8 speakers. The AR gear in the HiFi shop was hooked to the salons. But I could not resist and bought the Salon2s. Unbelievable speakers. I could talk about them all day, but I won't! Pete

Attachment 44753

all2ears 03-20-2016 07:36 AM

Dave ... congrats - You are about be a very happy guy

I've had my Ultima Salons for quite for a long time - Every time the itch to try an "upgrade" hits me I make the rounds of all the usual suspects and come to the same conclusion - For my needs of a double duty music and movie speaker there is no other system that is on Revel's level - It does it all and does it all really well

Amp wise I started with Bryston and even though that had been my preferred amp for years I couldn't feel it was a good match for my needs - I auditioned Levinson and Pass then finally settled on McIntosh - The Revel / McIntosh combination is an effortless room filling sound and very natural

Let us know how things go !!!

Pampero 03-24-2016 07:22 PM

I'm new here, this being my first post. It's going to be a chore getting to ten, but you have to start somewhere, so this is where I'm putting down my roots.

I've just ordered a pair of Salon 2s. I was going to buy 208s but decided to go big. Revel has one of the most compelling stories in the business and the products ain't bad either!

Greetings, ya'll!

Ritmo 03-25-2016 06:50 AM

Congrats Pampero! Nice speakers!

Mikado463 03-25-2016 09:03 AM

Very nice Pamper, what will you be driving your Salon's with......oh yeah and welcome to the fold as well !

crwilli 03-25-2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 769371)
Very nice Pamper, what will you be driving your Salon's with......oh yeah and welcome to the fold as well !

Dave,

I think a SS McIntosh powerhouse would be a perfect match for your new speakers.

:naughty

Craig

Mikado463 03-25-2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 769378)
I think a SS McIntosh powerhouse would be a perfect match for your new speakers.
Craig

Craig, you never know ! ................ with a pair of Rogue M-180's and my Plinius SA-102 at the ready, both of which are more than capable, I won't be making any changes short term.

chessman 03-25-2016 10:16 AM

Pampero, welcome aboard! :wave:

BTW, 10 is easy! ;)

Masterlu 03-25-2016 12:41 PM

Pampero... Welcome to AA! :wave:

pete6737 03-25-2016 12:59 PM

Congrats on your new Salon2s! You will love them!

crwilli 03-25-2016 01:49 PM

Dave, How long do you have to wait?

Mikado463 03-25-2016 02:10 PM

Craig, They were received at the dealer this past Tue afternoon. Shirley and I get home from Florida over the weekend, I'll pick them up sometime next week.

crwilli 03-25-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 769439)
Craig, They were received at the dealer this past Tue afternoon. Shirley and I get home from Florida over the weekend, I'll pick them up sometime next week.

Nice. Something to look forward to up North. I look forward to seeing pics and reading your impressions.

Pampero 03-25-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritmo (Post 769345)
Congrats Pampero! Nice speakers!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado463 (Post 769371)

I'm pondering that now. MC452 and C52 are strong contenders within my budget and would also be my first McIntosh equipment in a lifetime spent avoiding the line for no good reason. I'm sure that would be a good way to go because of the Revel's thirst for power, but I'm open to other ideas and have considered Parasound and Bryston. I'm leaning to the Mac if for no other reason than it would be a new experience for me and I believe that the 452 will swing the volts needed within my wife's tolerance range. No tubes being considered for now, otherwise open to all the options. This system is starting out fresh as I have no holdover equipment from my last binge so apart from money, there are no constraints in respect to the synergy I'd like to create.

By the way, it's Pampero (a favorite rum, no deeper meaning) It needs that final "o" to avoid humiliation at the baby changing table!

But you can call me Lew. :music:

Pampero 03-25-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 769382)
Pampero, welcome aboard! :wave:

BTW, 10 is easy! ;)

Thanks! Four!:banana:

Pampero 03-25-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 769416)
Pampero... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Nice making new friends! (Five :D)

Pampero 03-25-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete6737 (Post 769421)
Congrats on your new Salon2s! You will love them!

Thank you, Pete....and thanks to all for the warm welcome (:yes:)

As my stay here lengthens, I'll get to learn about you all and I guess you'll learn about me. I have a long history in the pro audio (only marginally in consumer) business and Revel's approach is well known to me.

I had been considering Raidho X3s as well ( a fine product indeed) but my experience with Floyd Toole and Kevin Voeck's methodologies has led me down this path.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was a JBL pro rep (northwest) for 31 years but have been retired since 2010. I worked for Otari (tape recorders) as well before hanging my shingle in the northwest. I consider myself a music lover first and an audiot second.

Pampero 03-27-2016 07:40 PM

I'm hoping to add to my post count so please just say anything so I can get on the board!

BWB75 09-22-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uberbrown (Post 50935)
Anyone have any experience with these? Salon2, Studio2, Gem 2?

Do they warrant this statement?
Stereophile: Revel Ultima Salon2 loudspeaker

Regarding the Ultima2 Studio2s in my room, yes.

On decision day we auditioned Wilson Yvette and something else... Sabrina maybe? Also B&W 800D (the big ones), and McIntosh's own speakers. Since we've known for a long time that this day would come, we have also paid attention to a long list of speakers over the last few years, especially Sonus Faber and B&W.

Based on this experience, I could easily and confidently repeat everything in that sentence about the speakers I have heard and the Revel Ultima2s now in my living room.

The difference was stark, and the choice was a no-brainer. My wife was with me for the listening sessions, and she was equally firm on the choice.

It was kind of fun, really. We had listened to two sets of Wilsons and the B&Ws. She went for some sandwiches while I auditioned the McIntosh speakers, then the Revels. When she got back we ate our sandwiches and then went back into the listening room. I watched her face do exactly the same thing mine had done, and almost as quickly.

It's like this, for me: They are more like ancient mystical totems than transducers. With little to no movement visible from the listening position (I see well, thank you), the room is taken over by live music. Instead of moving air, these totemic pillars magically conjure the spirits of the performers, who then perform live just for me.

oddeophile 09-22-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWB75 (Post 868157)

On decision day we auditioned Wilson Yvette and something else... Sabrina maybe? Also B&W 800D (the big ones), and McIntosh's own speakers. Since we've known for a long time that this day would come, we have also paid attention to a long list of speakers over the last few years, especially Sonus Faber and B&W.

Based on this experience, I could easily and confidently repeat everything in that sentence about the speakers I have heard and the Revel Ultima2s now in my living room.

The difference was stark, and the choice was a no-brainer. My wife was with me for the listening sessions, and she was equally firm on the choice.

It was kind of fun, really. We had listened to two sets of Wilsons and the B&Ws. She went for some sandwiches while I auditioned the McIntosh speakers, then the Revels. When she got back we ate our sandwiches and then went back into the listening room. I watched her face do exactly the same thing mine had done, and almost as quickly.

It's like this, for me: They are more like ancient mystical totems than transducers. With little to no movement visible from the listening position (I see well, thank you), the room is taken over by live music. Instead of moving air, these totemic pillars magically conjure the spirits of the performers, who then perform live just for me.

+1

Exactly how I’d put it. I adore mine too. Sublime.

pete6737 09-22-2017 10:29 PM

I love my Salon2s. The best speaker purchase for me. Silky smooth midrange and tweeter. Deep bass. Good luck!

tdimler 09-24-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

High praise indeed, as the Yvette is a very, very fine loudspeaker. I'm interested to know specifically how you contrast them against the Revels. I own Salon2's.

tdimler 09-24-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete6737 (Post 868194)
I love my Salon2s. The best speaker purchase for me. Silky smooth midrange and tweeter. Deep bass. Good luck!

Interesting pairing the GS 150 with Salon2s. Did you have other amps on the Salons before the current ARC?

Biggar 09-24-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't add another word.

Robc33 08-18-2018 01:32 PM

Guess I just joined the club as well. I picked up a pair of Salon2s yesterday, and I'm hoping to get them up to the house next weekend. I'm not sure if the MC 2301s will have enough juice for them, but we'll see. I don't expect them to best my Strads, but it should be a fun experiment. I'll be sure to post more when I get them up and running!

Karl Maga 08-18-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robc33 (Post 927549)
Guess I just joined the club as well. I picked up a pair of Salon2s yesterday, and I'm hoping to get them up to the house next weekend. I'm not sure if the MC 2301s will have enough juice for them, but we'll see. I don't expect them to best my Strads, but it should be a fun experiment. I'll be sure to post more when I get them up and running!

Please let us know what you think!

stev809 08-19-2018 01:48 PM

It took me months to get the salon2's placement in my room to the point where I think i'm getting the best I can from them. My previous reference was the salon1 tho' so I have to guess what the ceiling of these speakers is. You as others on this forum have had access to more sota products can probably tell when they're dialed in much more quickly since you have more hi end experience to compare.

Pampero 08-20-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robc33 (Post 927549)
. I'm not sure if the MC 2301s will have enough juice for them, but we'll see.

You might be surprised about that. Congrats on your acquisition. These are superb speakers.

Robc33 08-20-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampero (Post 927871)
You might be surprised about that. Congrats on your acquisition. These are superb speakers.

I hope that I am! I have a pair of JC-1s that I could try with them as well, but if the 2301s can't make them sing, it will most likely be a deal breaker for me. I loved the JC-1s until I heard the 2301s. There is no going back for me now! :no:

stev809 09-03-2018 04:17 PM

I was using my laptop usb out to stream tidal with unreliable results so I bought the roon nucleus and I have to say dollar for dollar it was the most affordable improvement i've gotten, using a cheapo AQ forest cable! Crazy result is each album I stream really changes the way the speakers create the soundstage besides the obvious improvement in sound.