AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Magnepan and The Absolute Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29730)

cma29 01-05-2015 12:20 AM

Magnepan and The Absolute Sound

The Absolute Sound reviewers absolutely love everything Magnepan puts out.

In the latest issue (Feb 2015, #250), a new reviewer, Julie Mullins, gave a :thumbsup: to the .7 model.

This comes on the heels of the superlative 20.7 review last month and the selection of the 3.7i and the 20.7 as "2014 Products of the Year."

The Mini-Maggie, MMG and 1.7 are also included in the TAS Buyer's Guide as recommended products.

Congratulations, Magnepan. Like the recently departed sportscaster Stuart Scott used to say, "you must be butter, because you are on a roll."

PlanarSpeakerFan 01-05-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma29 (Post 664729)
The Absolute Sound reviewers absolutely love everything Magnepan puts out.

In the latest issue (Feb 2015, #250), a new reviewer, Julie Mullins, gave a :thumbsup: to the .7 model.

This comes on the heels of the superlative 20.7 review last month and the selection of the 3.7i and the 20.7 as "2014 Products of the Year."

The Mini-Maggie, MMG and 1.7 are also included in the TAS Buyer's Guide as recommended products.

Congratulations, Magnepan. Like the recently departed sportscaster Stuart Scott used to say, "your name must be butter, because you are on a roll"

Carlos,

I've listened to a lot of top of the line speakers over the last 12 months and I still feel the 20.7's are on a par with the industry's best. The fact that the 20.7's are just a fraction of the cost boggles my mind. In an industry where prices are blowing through the roof, it's nice to know there is still a company out there like Magnepan who is more interested in bringing a reference level product to the market at an affordable price, instead of trying to line their pockets with gold. Hold on to your 20.7's, Carlos, they continue to be one of the very best out there.

Best,
Ken

cma29 01-06-2015 12:35 AM

^ ^ ^
Thanks for your kind words, Ken.

US$14,000 for a pair of speakers is still a princely sum in absolute terms, but compared to the likes of Magico and Wilson it is a relative bargain.

Yes, I'm holding on to my 20.7s :yes:

I like them :thumbsup:

Pedrolano 01-11-2015 11:58 AM

Magnepan 7

Last summer i heard in Holland the Magnepan 12 and I was impressed so I ordered the Magnepan .7. Its remarkable The Absolute Sound loves every thing from Magnepan. I trust as a musician my own ears. greetings Peter Laan Holland

chessman 01-11-2015 05:02 PM

Pedrolano, welcome aboard! :wave:

cma29 01-11-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 666474)
Pedrolano, welcome aboard! :wave:

+1

Peter - please tell us more. Your perspective as an actual musician is invaluable. Do you play in an orchestra?

Masterlu 01-11-2015 06:40 PM

Pedrolano... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Pedrolano 01-12-2015 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma29 (Post 666484)
+1

Peter - please tell us more. Your perspective as an actual musician is invaluable. Do you play in an orchestra?

I play as a timbalero in a Salsa band.
As a drummer in different bigbands also in small combo

I am audioenthousiast many years
I own Accuphase amp and cd player and Kef speakers
I owned Acoustic Research Quad amp and electrostatic speakers;
greetings from my small house in Holland!!!

timm 01-12-2015 07:39 PM

Hi all. And welcome Pedro.

My only gripe with this review is I am not getting JVs 'compared to the best cone and horn speakers....' He has a 1300 dollar speaker here and he is comparing to the raidho and magicos?? He says Maggie's wont do depth like the best cones? Really? I mean I find what they do very very well is depth. He has had multiple reviews and always says things like 'not quite as good as the best'....so what does the best encompass in this comparison? 100k / 200k speakers? Or are we talking something like ml CLX in the 25k range - his old reference?

How do you bring up the magico and raidhos in the same review as the .7 then make the blanket statement that all Maggie's don't do depth as well as cones. ?

Any opinions on the above?

Car commander 01-12-2015 08:28 PM

Everyone is looking for a giant killer the 1000 dollar whatever against the 20k whatever. You can set upan amazingly good system for 5k. I have done it for others. Is it reference quality well, not quite and so it goes.

An OPPO 105 is a good player. Does it sound as good as a K-01. Almost. Lol.