AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   ModWright Instruments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   KWA100 on the way. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11487)

DonBattles 12-20-2011 09:10 PM

KWA100 on the way.

As some may have read I've been thinking about a system change. So I'm going to start by sticking my toe in the water with the KWA100. The price was (w)right so if I decide to I'm pretty sure I wouldn't loose any, or much money on it. Should be here sometime next week. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on this one after a day or three :music:

bakerman 12-20-2011 09:58 PM

Nice Don. I've always liked their looks. Maybe not as flashy as some stuff around here, but more of an understated elegance I guess. Of course that kind of describes some Burmeister gear too! :D

I can't wait to read about your impressions. If it works out, will you look into one of his preamps as well?

DonBattles 12-20-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerman (Post 242376)
Nice Don. I've always liked their looks. Maybe not as flashy as some stuff around here, but more of an understated elegance I guess. Of course that kind of describes some Burmeister gear too! :D

I can't wait to read about your impressions. If it works out, will you look into one of his preamps as well?

Yes, a ModWright pre could be possible. I'm also looking at items from EAR, Joule Electra, and Music First (which is a passive preamp). My current McIntosh rig is my first attempt at higher end audio and now I'm curious about other things that are out there :scratch2:

JJinID 12-20-2011 11:02 PM

Congratulations Don! I am looking forward to your impressions. Which color did you go with? Did you go with the KWA100SE version?

I expect to audition the LS100 preamp w/phono stage in my system after the first of the year. From everything I have read and heard from Dan W., that would be the right pairing to match with the KWA100. I would do what you need to be able to hear both together in your system! PM me if I can be of assistance to help make that happen! :yes:

DonBattles 12-20-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 242388)
Congratulations Don! I am looking forward to your impressions. Which color did you go with? Did you go with the KWA100SE version?

I expect to audition the LS100 preamp w/phono stage in my system after the first of the year. From everything I have read and heard from Dan W., that would be the right pairing to match with the KWA100. I would do what you need to be able to hear both together in your system! PM me if I can be of assistance to help make that happen! :yes:

I've read a few reviews that did mention that the ModWright amps do seem to shine (read sound) when used with other ModWright gear. As for the amp that's coming my way its a black KWA100 but not an SE. I'm also told that installing some MUSE caps in this unit would really sing. I did get to hear this unit with my Harbeth's for I have a pretty good idea what I'm in for :D And if, in the end I don't dig the MW amp it should be pretty easy to flip.

As for the LS100, is the one you will demo coming from your AD or from ModWright directly? And thanks for the offer :thumbsup:

dpod4 12-20-2011 11:45 PM

Congrats. I am so pleased with my modwright 5400es cd player. Dan and crew are first rate all the way. Performs way above its price.

JJinID 12-22-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 242400)
As for the LS100, is the one you will demo coming from your AD or from ModWright directly? And thanks for the offer :thumbsup:

No "area" dealer for ModWright near me if I understand your acronym Don so I will be receiving the LS100 to demo direct from manufacturer. I know of someone (not in my location) who was going to be a ModWright dealer, but not sure if that ever materialized... :scratch2:

I look forward to your impressions of the KWA100!

DonBattles 12-22-2011 11:27 PM

Sorry, AD is "authorized dealer". It a term used on many watch collecting forum I post at. Sometimes I forget where I am. Maybe I should contact Dan after I get the amp and have a listen for myself :)

JJinID 12-23-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 243539)
Sorry, AD is "authorized dealer". It a term used on many watch collecting forum I post at. Sometimes I forget where I am. Maybe I should contact Dan after I get the amp and have a listen for myself :)

I should have figured out that the A=Authorized, Don. Maybe I needed another cup of coffee (or something stronger) yesterday! :D