AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Should I rearrange the four subwoofers? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43660)

Macuser 08-29-2018 02:05 PM

4 subs??? Another thought might be a different pair of mains that don't need quite that much help in the bottom end

markbodiford 08-29-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macuser (Post 929046)
4 subs??? Another thought might be a different pair of mains that don't need quite that much help in the bottom end

With two subs I can reorganize the drinking glasses in the kitchen cabinets. I bought two more just for fun lol

sircharles 08-29-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbodiford (Post 929057)
With two subs I can reorganize the drinking glasses in the kitchen cabinets. I bought two more just for fun lol

Stack them two by two Gotham style. If you really want to take it a step further get the CR-1 and follow Barry Ober’s setup process. His setup process works... at least it did for me.

crwilli 08-29-2018 06:23 PM

With your location constraints, my thought is you wasted a lot of $.

W9TR 08-29-2018 06:51 PM

Here is the definitive paper on multiple subwoofer placement:
https://www.harman.com/sites/default...multsubs_0.pdf
If physical constraints prevent you from following this guidance - stack ‘em baby!

Just like an F212 or Gotham- the advantages of stacked subs are many- better balance and room coupling being foremost.

Tom

Grasshopper 08-29-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 929080)
With your location constraints, my thought is you wasted a lot of $.

+1

Grasshopper 08-29-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sircharles (Post 929074)
Stack them two by two Gotham style. If you really want to take it a step further get the CR-1 and follow Barry Ober’s setup process. His setup process works... at least it did for me.

I think stacked subs sound good in theory, but in reality I’d worry about possible phase cancellations when two independent subs are stacked vs one Gotham which is controlled with one integrated crossover etc.

sircharles 08-29-2018 07:06 PM

Should I rearrange the four subwoofers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 929084)
I think stacked subs sound good in theory, but in reality I’d worry about possible phase cancellations when two independent subs are stacked vs one Gotham which is controlled with one integrated crossover etc.

True... hence my CR-1 recommendation. Also,
This is a direct quote from my discussions with Barry about dual subs and placement advice.

“Then again, someone with 2 subs has the options mentioned; you can put them in 2 good places; you can put them in 1 good place next to each other, (in which case they will sum 6 dB on paper and 5 dB in real life) or you can put them in 1 good place, one on top of the other; this is the magic of the JL F212 and Gotham G213. The 2nd driver is far enough off the floor to have different modal coupling to the room. The lower driver will play the planets-blowing-up LFE noises (say, 20-50 Hz) better into the room, while the driver that's 15-18" higher will play the 30-90 MUSICAL bass better into your chest and stomach; this is where the bass focus and slam comes from.

It is this higher freq area that when matched up with the mains at close to the XO region must be timed correctly to give you the desired sharp impulse response. If XO at 90, all we really care about is 85-95.

Further away from the XO freq the sub's phase shifts farther, but we don't care about that since it won't cancel because the levels are too different. With a 24 dB/octave XO every musical note is 2 dB different.

So that shows you your initial options with 2 subs.”

Masterlu 08-29-2018 07:08 PM

In my Florida HT... I run 4 Subs in the front, and 2 Gotham’s in the rear.

Marvelous!

sircharles 08-29-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 929089)
In my Florida HT... I run 4 Subs in the front, and 2 Gotham’s in the rear.

Marvelous!

WOW! Super awesome.