AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   CD6 about to hit the streets (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=23991)

2fastdriving 11-17-2013 05:21 PM

CD6 about to hit the streets

The new cd6 is essentially a cd9 with a solid state output stage, from what I understand. I will be getting a demo unit soon. Never heard a cd9, so I won't be able to give any kind of comparison, sorry. I am considering this unit mostly for its dac. I am considering starting over with a full ARC stack, and would start with this guy.

Ritmo 11-17-2013 09:02 PM

Marc,

I'm surprised that ARC is coming out with this product. Just recently, it was announced that Phillips was stopping production of CD transports. ARC uses their transports.

2fastdriving 11-17-2013 10:10 PM

It definitely has that transport. Where did you hear that?

Coopersark 11-18-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fastdriving (Post 551849)
It definitely has that transport. Where did you hear that?

Try this link, although not directly from Phillips Coprporation:
Phillips no longer producing transports - Our Listeners Club | Our Listeners Club

2fastdriving 11-18-2013 01:56 AM

Interesting, thanks. I have seen the official newsletter that they send to dealers, and it explicitly states that it will have that transport. I'll find out what's up from my dealer.

Mikeoz 11-18-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritmo (Post 551827)
Marc,

I'm surprised that ARC is coming out with this product. Just recently, it was announced that Phillips was stopping production of CD transports. ARC uses their transports.

Why would this be a problem ? ARC are known for keeping service items in stock and I am sure they could replace your transport mechanism in 5 years time if it developed a fault.

Clearly the next generation will use something else - which may not be superior...

bjmccoy 11-18-2013 11:58 AM

Why not skip the old and go to current state of the art? Try a Linn DS (Akurate or Klimax) or any of the current high end music server… You will be surprised how good they are.

2fastdriving 11-18-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjmccoy (Post 551977)
Why not skip the old and go to current state of the art? Try a Linn DS (Akurate or Klimax) or any of the current high end music server… You will be surprised how good they are.

A couple reasons. One, I already spent time setting up a mac mini to do this, and just bought a usb cable for it, too. Two, I like the idea of having an all made in the USA system (except for the mac mini). Three, I like the idea of having an all ARC system (now that I've heard how good it is in my home with Sasha's).

I do admit the idea of spending such coinage on a cd player makes me queasy, but it's really not for the cd player as much as it is for the dac.

But it would make the pill much easier to swallow if DSD and SACD were implemented :(

I'm just doing a demo, though. Who knows what will happen.

Ritmo 11-18-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeoz (Post 551946)
Why would this be a problem ? ARC are known for keeping service items in stock and I am sure they could replace your transport mechanism in 5 years time if it developed a fault.

Clearly the next generation will use something else - which may not be superior...

Mike,

I'm sure ARC will take care of their customers - they always do! I'm just concerned about launching a new product,for which we know, key elements of the player are no longer being built.

Lastly, I'm sure the player will be fine. I would expect at least 5 years, if not more, of very good performance out of the transport. :thumbsup:

2fastdriving 12-03-2013 03:10 AM

By the way, guys, I got my cd6 last week and it has broken in nicely. Sounds amazing! Only one nitpick so far. The USB input only upsamples from 44.1 to 88.2, and 48 to 96. That's it. Now, it supports all native bitrates (not dsd)...and curiously it upsamples other inputs and the cd transport to the max (44.1 to 176.4 etc).

My dealer was told by arc that this is by design because it sounded better this way. I don't see how that's true...if the other inputs sound better upsampled, including the cd transport (which uses the same internal clocks as the USB), then why cripple the USB?

But I digress. It certainly does sound great, so maybe I should stop chasing bitrates and enjoy. It's going to go very nicely with my all arc/Wilson system.