AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Momentum HD Pre-Amp (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46264)

Still-One 07-17-2019 02:38 PM

Momentum HD Pre-Amp

Well for a couple of months I had been waiting for the upgrades for current Momentum pre-amps to HD level to begin. My dealer had called about a week and a half ago to say they were ready to ship my in. After some discussion I decided to skip the upgrade and just purchase a new black unit to match my M-400's. I like the updated styling of the HD version which is more in line with the amps.

I have been listening with my current pre-amp out of my set-up for over a week now. I have connected the Vivaldi direct to my M-400's and I have been happily surprised at how good it sounds. Maybe I don't need the pre at all. :D

audioguy3107 07-17-2019 04:24 PM

Hi Jim, I can't wait to hear your impressions of the HD, I assume I'll get off the fence and have mine upgraded eventually. I wasn't aware the styings of the HD changed much if at all. Either way, the black units look awesome.

- Buck

Still-One 07-17-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 973310)
Hi Jim, I can't wait to hear your impressions of the HD, I assume I'll get off the fence and have mine upgraded eventually. I wasn't aware the styings of the HD changed much if at all. Either way, the black units look awesome.

- Buck

There is not much difference. See how the copper on each side now continues up each side until it reaches the top. That is about it.
https://hometheaterreview.com/assets...auto-20373.jpg

SuperD 07-18-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 973301)
Well for a couple of months I had been waiting for the upgrades for current Momentum pre-amps to HD level to begin. My dealer had called about a week and a half ago to say they were ready to ship my in. After some discussion I decided to skip the upgrade and just purchase a new black unit to match my M-400's. I like the updated styling of the HD version which is more in line with the amps.

I have been listening with my current pre-amp out of my set-up for over a week now. I have connected the Vivaldi direct to my M-400's and I have been happily surprised at how good it sounds. Maybe I don't need the pre at all. :D

Jim,
I curious what to hear about the difference using a pre and going direct to the M-400s. I'm going to demo an MSB select soon and will connect it to my HD pre and then try direct. Most go direct other than MikeL. Can you tell me what you hear differently? I imagine going direct will offer more resolution but a pre may benefit flow and naturalness? Congrats on the upgrade!

Dave

Still-One 07-18-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 973374)
Jim,
I curious what to hear about the difference using a pre and going direct to the M-400s. I'm going to demo an MSB select soon and will connect it to my HD pre and then try direct. Most go direct other than MikeL. Can you tell me what you hear differently? I imagine going direct will offer more resolution but a pre may benefit flow and naturalness? Congrats on the upgrade!

Dave

Dave
Going direct I believe there is a bit more immediacy or speed with a touch deeper bass. What appears to be lost is some depth to the soundstage plus the bass might not be as accurate. In the past with other combinations I sensed a loss of micro detail without a pre. The newer units have definitely improved in this area.

From what I have heard the MSB Select sounds outstanding direct to the amps. When I A/B'd the MSB Reference and my Vivaldi I only compared them going thru my pre-amp. It would have been much harder to quickly switch back and forth between the two without simultaneously passing the signals thru a pre-amp.

SuperD 07-18-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 973404)
Dave
Going direct I believe there is a bit more immediacy or speed with a touch deeper bass. What appears to be lost is some depth to the soundstage plus the bass might not be as accurate. In the past with other combinations I sensed a loss of micro detail without a pre. The newer units have definitely improved in this area.

From what I have heard the MSB Select sounds outstanding direct to the amps. When I A/B'd the MSB Reference and my Vivaldi I only compared them going thru my pre-amp. It would have been much harder to quickly switch back and forth between the two without simultaneously passing the signals thru a pre-amp.

Thanks Jim. My wallet hopes I go direct.:D

Espen Inge Larsen 07-24-2019 04:55 AM

Hi
Has tested using my Rossini player right on my S250, It was clearly better sound When i use the Momentum preamp. Larger sound more accurate bass and the sound felt more analogous, was surprised that it was so much better with the Momentum preamp!

Espen L

For The Love of Music 07-25-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espen Inge Larsen (Post 974007)
Hi
Has tested using my Rossini player right on my S250, It was clearly better sound When i use the Momentum preamp. Larger sound more accurate bass and the sound felt more analogous, was surprised that it was so much better with the Momentum preamp!

Espen L

I look at the PreAmp as being the systems Heart ❤️

gadawg 08-04-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 974233)
I look at the PreAmp as being the systems Heart ❤️

+1

George

Masterlu 08-04-2019 09:24 AM

No Pre-amp... Blasphemy ;)