AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Momentum Break-in... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11920)

Masterlu 01-16-2012 10:57 AM

Momentum Break-in...

Jim & Serge... How are the Momentum's sounding as they break in? :scratch2:

Still-One 01-16-2012 01:14 PM

Ivan
I am more than pleased with the performance as my Momentum's continue to break-in. Even thought they sound good each day when I first power them up, they sound quite a bit better to my ears after they are fully warmed up.

All music seems to be projected with additional more body and weight. A few recordings might sound a bit bright for those who prefer a more rolled off high end. This is not an issue for me.

Jim

Masterlu 01-16-2012 02:01 PM

Good to hear Jim, I figured they would only get better! :ok:

PHC1 01-16-2012 07:36 PM

Ivan, so far the Momentum's are shaping up to be the most incredible amps I have owned to date. :yes: It is a bit difficult for me to say right now what's what since I have all new Wilsons that need break in and Transparent cables that needs a bit as well. All I can say is I am seriously enjoying this new multifaceted upgrade and the combo is incredible all across the board. :music:

Masterlu 01-16-2012 07:40 PM

Serge... Very glad to hear, keep us posted as they reach their full potential.

PHC1 01-16-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 254933)
Serge... Very glad to hear, keep us posted as they reach their full potential.

Ivan, of course I have owned a pair of Sasha's before as well as having auditioned and lived with some upper Transparent so I do have a pretty good understanding of which of the three are bringing what to the table. I do however need to let everything break in before I can elaborate and break it down further. Like I said, right now it is incredible, even through the break in process. As Jim mentioned, the Momentum monos need a bit of time to warm up before they sound their best and once they do.... :music::music::music::music::music:

Still-One 01-16-2012 08:36 PM

There are some excellent amps being produced around the world. I can tell you I no longer have amp envy when I look at these other products. The Momentum's hold their own with the best of them.

Jim

PHC1 01-16-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 254985)
There are some excellent amps being produced around the world. I can tell you I no longer have amp envy when I look at these other products. The Momentum's hold their own with the best of them.

Jim

Jim, the Momentum monoblocks are not cheap by any means. There are some amps out there that are still multiple times the Momentum price. I have yet to hear better and even if they do by some small margin, this is as far as I want to go in terms of cash outlay. I'm also very happy, these are here to stay! :thumbsup: This is as good as it gets for me. :banana:

howiebrou 01-16-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 254994)
Jim, the Momentum monoblocks are not cheap by any means. There are some amps out there that are still multiple times the Momentum price. I have yet to hear better and even if they do by some small margin, this is as far as I want to go in terms of cash outlay. I'm also very happy, these are here to stay! :thumbsup: This is as good as it gets for me. :banana:

Serge,

What is the market price of the Momentums, pray tell?

thanks

howie

Ritmo 01-16-2012 09:06 PM

Jim and Serge,

Glad to hear that you are extremely pleased thus far.

Mike

PHC1 01-16-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou (Post 255006)
Serge,

What is the market price of the Momentums, pray tell?

thanks

howie

Market price Howie? I haven't really seen any of them offered for sale on the preowned market... :scratch2: The retail is now $50k... just went up.

howiebrou 01-16-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 255016)
Market price Howie? I haven't really seen any of them offered for sale on the preowned market... :scratch2: The retail is now $50k... just went up.

Sorry that's what i mean, retail / market c.f. preowned.

50k does not buy you a lot nowadays so I don't think they are overpriced for what you get :yes:

Masterlu 01-16-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 255016)

Not too bad for a pair of them.

PHC1 01-16-2012 09:45 PM

Since when does a pair of amplifiers that cost $50k a pair is "not bad"... :D I thought it was awfully expensive but I fell in love with them and they do offer so much more than many others out there aesthetically speaking (I guess if you love their styling which I obviously do!) and performance wise they are very special. These will go on to win numerous awards over the years for sure. :yes:

Masterlu 01-16-2012 09:52 PM

My "New" favorite Amps are the 911 MK3 at $60K pair. :yes:

Audio 1 01-16-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 255070)

If I win the Lottery we can talk :deal:

cmalak 01-16-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 255064)
Since when does a pair of amplifiers that cost $50k a pair is "not bad"... :D

Amen to that :smoking:

PHC1 01-16-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 255070)

That's a price of a fairly well equipped 5 series BMW. :D

Masterlu 01-16-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 255080)

Or less than a Platinum Rolex... ;)

PHC1 01-16-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 255081)

Touché! :D

Still-One 01-16-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 255080)

Or 50k service on a Ferrari. :D

Just joking

Still-One 01-23-2012 02:50 PM

I am getting my last listening sessions in for the next couple of weeks as we head out on our annual trek to Hawaii tomorrow morning. I am really going to have music withdrawal this year. My system is sounding so good and it is hard to describe the positive changes I have made in the last year, all culminating with the switch to the Momentum's.

Jim

PHC1 01-23-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 257924)
I am getting my last listening sessions in for the next couple of weeks as we head out on our annual trek to Hawaii tomorrow morning. I am really going to have music withdrawal this year. My system is sounding so good and it is hard to describe the positive changes I have made in the last year, all culminating with the switch to the Momentum's.

Jim

Have a great trip Jim. :thumbsup: I'm sure being in Hawaii will make that withdrawal that much easier to tolerate! :D Besides, just think how great it will be to be back and listening to that awesome system after all the fun in Hawaii.

Masterlu 01-23-2012 03:26 PM

Ditto; safe & happy travels Jim!

chessman 01-23-2012 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Best cure for audio interruptus: "Take two luaus and call me in the morning ..."

Audio 1 01-23-2012 03:46 PM

Jim,

Have a great time in Hawaii. At least when you leave paradise you will have your wonderful system waiting for you at home.

flang 01-23-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 255042)
Not too bad for a pair of them.

Dear Masterlu!
I have now the momentums for 2 Weeks in the House and they are playing with the SF Futuras more than wonderfull ! for me the best amps I ever heard!
But can you explain me why the Price is increasing during the Last months for nearly 60 % ?
I know no product which is increasing without sense - maybe they have a Limited Production like some sport Cars or watches?
Did Dan give therefore an Explantation why?
I really Want to buy These wonderfull amps but Anyway there is a Little Bad Feeling for me because of the increasing of the Price !
Thank you very much if you had an answer for me!
Greetings from Austria!

Franz

Masterlu 01-23-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flang (Post 257989)
Dear Masterlu!
I have now the momentums for 2 Weeks in the House and they are playing with the SF Futuras more than wonderfull ! for me the best amps I ever heard!
But can you explain me why the Price is increasing during the Last months for nearly 60 % ?
I know no product which is increasing without sense - maybe they have a Limited Production like some sport Cars or watches?
Did Dan give therefore an Explantation why?
I really Want to buy These wonderfull amps but Anyway there is a Little Bad Feeling for me because of the increasing of the Price !
Thank you very much if you had an answer for me!
Greetings from Austria!

Franz

Franz... Since I don't manufacture them, I wouldn't have a clue why the price has risen.

I do know the law of Supply & Demand; Momentum sales have been brisk.

Jerome W 01-23-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu
Ditto; safe & happy travels Jim!

+1 !
You're a globe trotter Jim ! :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

flang 01-23-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 258003)
Franz... Since I don't manufacture them, I wouldn't have a clue why the price has risen.

I do know the law of Supply & Demand; Momentum sales have been brisk.

Thank you! i Hope to get a pair in Europe for a Good Price !
greetings
Franz

SRT-10 Viper 01-23-2012 06:03 PM

Jim, Enjoy your trip! Take pictures to share when you return.

Ritmo 01-23-2012 08:50 PM

Jim,

Have a great trip! I'm sure you can't wait to get back to your beauties!

Safe travels!

Mike

JSCC 01-26-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 255081)

How come the talk starts from Momentum then becoming Platinum Rolex? :scratch2:

Seriously, everything is relative! As long as one is willing to pay, its "reasonable"!

Just like I thought Bro Howie is mad when he said - gonna get that Kondo M1000 Pre & Gakuon Mono amps, in turn, he is saying I am 2 screw loose in my head when I salivate for the Lange 31! :laughin:

psjl 01-27-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSCC (Post 259086)
How come the talk starts from Momentum then becoming Platinum Rolex? :scratch2:

Seriously, everything is relative! As long as one is willing to pay, its "reasonable"!

Just like I thought Bro Howie is mad when he said - gonna get that Kondo M1000 Pre & Gakuon Mono amps, in turn, he is saying I am 2 screw loose in my head when I salivate for the Lange 31! :laughin:

Jerry......truth be told, I'm pretty sure that most individuals would think the entire gang here in AA have more than a few screws loose :screwy: immersing ourselves in this hobby of ours! :D........Philip

Masterlu 01-27-2012 08:11 AM

http://www.ariven.com/system/files/i...hite-640_0.jpg

psjl 02-05-2012 03:59 PM

Serge/Jim,

I'm about to order my cables from Transparent, and I'm thinking of going with the following:
  • Speaker Cables: Transparent Ref. MM (MM2) or Transparent Ref. XL (MM2) - (i) Wilson Sasha W/P's~D.D. Momentums;
  • Interconnects: Transparent Ref. XL - (i) Ayre KX-R~D.D. Momentums (ii) Ayre KX-R~Ayre QB-9;
  • Digital Cable: Performance USB Audio Cable - (i) Ayre QB-9~Mac mini (late-2009)
  • Power Cords: PowerLink MM2 or Reference PowerLink - (i) D.D. Momentums (ii) Ayre KX-R (ii) Ayre QB-9.

Jim, I see that you are using Transparent Ultra (MM2) & Ref. MM (MM2) & Powerlink MM2 cables. Serge, I see that you are using Transparent Ultra (MM2 ?) cabling.

Also, did you guys have the opportunity to audition other Transparent cabling in your respective systems (past & present)?

Would really appreciate hearing your impressions/opinions.

Many thanks,

Philip

amati 02-05-2012 06:06 PM

Philip,

I do have Transparant Ultra MM and Kubala S Emotions Speaker cables. I prefer the KS's for a small margin, but think the Reference MM2 will be better.
You can't go wrong with Transparent.

I also do have Reference PC's but...
Philip what voltage is common in your country ? Be carefull if it's 230v/50hz
Since i had hum with the Momentum's, i tried different PC's. from 1 euro till 5000 euro, but there was still a hum.
I also tried a few powerconditioners but the sound was getting worse with e.g. PSaudio. Than my importer and dealer came with a very good solution.
An integrated very good quality pc with a "offset-killer"box. The hum was completely gone and the sound was even better :-).
So i wouldn't buy pc's before you test your Momentums.
You also can ask if the Momentum's are updated on this...

kr, amati

Still-One 02-06-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psjl (Post 264255)
Serge/Jim,

I'm about to order my cables from Transparent, and I'm thinking of going with the following:
  • Speaker Cables: Transparent Ref. MM (MM2) or Transparent Ref. XL (MM2) - (i) Wilson Sasha W/P's~D.D. Momentums;
  • Interconnects: Transparent Ref. XL - (i) Ayre KX-R~D.D. Momentums (ii) Ayre KX-R~Ayre QB-9;
  • Digital Cable: Performance USB Audio Cable - (i) Ayre QB-9~Mac mini (late-2009)
  • Power Cords: PowerLink MM2 or Reference PowerLink - (i) D.D. Momentums (ii) Ayre KX-R (ii) Ayre QB-9.

Jim, I see that you are using Transparent Ultra (MM2) & Ref. MM (MM2) & Powerlink MM2 cables. Serge, I see that you are using Transparent Ultra (MM2 ?) cabling.

Also, did you guys have the opportunity to audition other Transparent cabling in your respective systems (past & present)?

Would really appreciate hearing your impressions/opinions.

Many thanks,

Philip

Philip
I have always used the Ultra MM2's for speaker cable and C-1000 to amps.
I did upgrade from Ultra MM2 to Reference MM2 between my MCD-1100 and C-1000. (not a huge improvement)
I recently upgraded the Power cords to my amps from Reference Powerlink to Powerlink MM2x (very nice improvement) All my other power cords are still Reference.

Jim

Audioseduction 02-07-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 254985)

Jim

Jim, I can relate on how you feel about your amps as I feel the same with my Pass mono blocks as well. Enjoy! :music:

Marck1973 02-07-2012 05:01 PM

I just posted this on the Wilson forum but thought it would also be helpful to add here too:

I can only concur with the comments made so far regarding Transparent cables.

As you progress up the model range you certainly do get a significant increase in performance, however my view is that ratio diminishes once you hit the Reference level (not XL).

My system uses full Transparent - from the PIMM2 power isolator, PowerLink power cables through to Reference balanced interconnects and speaker cables (all MM2, with the exception of the PowerLinks being MM2X). The synergy really adds a significant amount.

One point which hasn't been made so far is the excellent customer service Transparent offers. I recently sent my cables back to be re-calibrated for my new equipment and they constantly provided feedback. Very impressive indeed.

Also note that Transparent offers an excellent trade up program so you always have that upgrade path for the future.

Marc.