AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ayre (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ayre + Sonus Faber...Good Match?? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39671)

Billion$Baby 06-17-2017 05:13 PM

Ayre + Sonus Faber...Good Match??

Just wondering if anybody has experience with this combo. Thinking about picking up SF Elipsa SE to mate with my VXR/KXR Twenties. I know the 91 rating will be fine BUT not sure about the voicing. Not worried about lack of Bass but if there are any other "Red Flags" I should be concerned about. Mostly playing Classic Rock if that helps. Thanks for any input.

ctsooner 06-19-2017 07:58 PM

I have yet to hear Ayre not make any speaker sound better for my ears. Have heard the Ayre with SF's you are looking at. I went with the Vandersteen Quatro's instead, but I felt the Ayre was a great match up for the SF's. You got the amps for a reason and the SF will still sound the same as will the amps. For any music you should really enjoy that mix.

Bar81 06-20-2017 02:54 AM

It's been a popular combo historically. If you like the SF sound, I expect you will be quite happy. Classic rock though is a strange choice for SF; typically the brand is associated with classical music fans.

ctsooner 06-20-2017 09:15 AM

I'm with Bar on that one. You really did take me a bit off guard, lol. One area I can easily see them being a good fit is because a lot of rock is so poorly recorded and the SF line is very forgiving to ragged highs. They are a musical speaker.

The Lost Bears 06-20-2017 09:55 AM

I don't listen to a lot of really hard rock or metal, but I do listen to classic rock. The Elipsa SE are just mesmerizing. They have that in the room quality in spades. I loved the Elipsa SEs the first time I heard them and I still love them.

I don't have a good Ayre dealer near me so I am not that familiar with the sound. Like everything else though it really depends on how they sound together in your system.

Billion$Baby 06-20-2017 02:44 PM

Thanks for the responses. A guy near me has Mcintosh with the SF Elipsa and all he listens to is classic rock and he loves the pairing. Just wanted to get some more opinions before I make a 10K mistake. Im told the Mac and Ayre Gear doesn't sound similar so trying to cover my bases. Thanks again

-E- 06-20-2017 02:50 PM

SF + Rock is an atypical scenario.

crwilli 06-20-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -E- (Post 852101)
SF + Rock is an atypical scenario.

Not at my house! ;)

Billion$Baby 06-20-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 852102)
Not at my house! ;)

1KW on this site is the guy near me that does Classic Rock + SF. I just noticed we are all in Pennsylvania. Must be something in the water causing brain damage...probably due to Fracking on the Delaware River :)

saxguy 09-05-2017 09:04 AM

I am using the QX-5 Twenty, KX-5 Twenty and VX-5 Twenty with the SF Il Cremonese. It's a fantastic match and can even play Metallica with ease (if you want to do harder stuff).