AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Clearaudio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Looking to get back in... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15300)

KingofQueens 07-30-2012 06:02 PM

Looking to get back in...

My last table was way back when Dual was making them. I had a 1019 that had a Shure V15 and loved it.

So I'm seriously looking to get back in. I really like the Clearaudio line of tables; perhaps looking to spend $3-4K total.

Recommendations are appreciated, thanks.

GaryProtein 07-30-2012 06:28 PM

The Dual 1019 was my very first turntable! I had a Stanton 681EE cartridge.

KingofQueens 07-30-2012 06:33 PM

I remember that one too, the good old days!

cmalak 07-30-2012 06:49 PM

KingofQueens...while the circumstances are very sad, may I suggest you consider the Michell Gyro SE tt that is currently listed by Ivan on behalf of Reg's family. List on table is $2,500 and it is being listed for $1,250. Excellent table and I believe quite a few AAers have the table, including Dan (jdandy). Many have paired this table with an SME 309 arm. In the same listings by Ivan on behalf of Reg's family, he found a BNIB SME IV arm which may be a bit more than what you want to spend but it lists for $4K and is listed for $2.5k. That gets you to the top of your range without a cartridge. If this is too rich and you want to stick with a Clearaudio table, then the Clearaudio Concept table with their MC cart which lists for $2K I believe is a very nice starter table and cart. Finally, you can't go wrong with a used VPI Classic which comes with it's 10.5" tonearm in the $1.8-2K range, and add something like a Lyra Delos cart and you are done. I am assuming you have a phono preamplifier. If not, then the Clearaudio Concept is way to go as that will allow you to add a phono pre and still be in your budget.

Hope this helps.

KingofQueens 07-30-2012 06:54 PM

Thanks, I will check it out.

Masterlu 07-30-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 343456)
Gary...while the circumstances are very sad, may I suggest you consider the Michell Gyro SE tt that is currently listed by Ivan on behalf of Reg's family. List on table is $2,500 and it is being listed for $1,250. Excellent table and I believe quite a few AAers have the table, including Dan (jdandy). Many have paired this table with an SME 309 arm. In the same listings by Ivan on behalf of Reg's family, he found a BNIB SME IV arm which may be a bit more than what you want to spend but it lists for $4K and is listed for $2.5k. That gets you to the top of your range without a cartridge. If this is too rich and you want to stick with a Clearaudio table, then the Clearaudio Concept table with their MC cart which lists for $2K I believe is a very nice starter table and cart. Finally, you can't go wrong with a used VPI Classic which comes with it's 10.5" tonearm in the $1.8-2K range, and add something like a Lyra Delos cart and you are done. I am assuming you have a phono preamplifier. If not, then the Clearaudio Concept is way to go as that will allow you to add a phono pre and still be in your budget.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate that Cyril. :o

vintage_tube 07-30-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 343456)
...........want to stick with a Clearaudio table, then the Clearaudio Concept table with their MC cart which lists for $2K I believe is a very nice starter table and cart. I am assuming you have a phono preamplifier. If not, then the Clearaudio Concept is way to go as that will allow you to add a phono pre and still be in your budget.

Hope this helps.

Great advise for a starter TT setup. Rave reviews especially with that cartridge. A no brainer, IMO & you're in without digging deep.

P.S. I had a Dual 1229 back in the day ('74 timeframe). Loved it with top of the line Shure).

Bob

Bavarian05 07-31-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube

Great advise for a starter TT setup. Rave reviews especially with that cartridge. A no brainer, IMO & you're in without digging deep.

P.S. I had a Dual 1229 back in the day ('74 timeframe). Loved it with top of the line Shure).

Bob

+1
I currently have a Clearaudio Concept MC package paired with the Simaudio Moon 310LP phono stage and have
been very pleased, especially considering the relatively reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Josquin des Prez 08-01-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingofQueens (Post 343444)
My last table was way back when Dual was making them. I had a 1019 that had a Shure V15 and loved it.

So I'm seriously looking to get back in. I really like the Clearaudio line of tables; perhaps looking to spend $3-4K total.

Recommendations are appreciated, thanks.

I have a new Performance DC on order. This is a brand new turntable. It is like the Performance SEP it replaces, but with a DC motor and controls like the Ovation. MSRP is $3K. I'm also getting the Talisman v2. It is $1750, but you get a 10% discount on cartridge if you order it with a table. So this will be roughly $4500.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue59...%20DC%20tt.jpg

vintage_tube 08-01-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceTripper (Post 344071)
I have a new Performance DC on order. This is a brand new turntable. It is like the Performance SEP it replaces, but with a DC motor and controls like the Ovation. MSRP is $3K. I'm also getting the Talisman v2. It is $1750, but you get a 10% discount on cartridge if you order it with a table. So this will be roughly $4500.

Very pretty Dean -- & reasonable price IMO considering 1/3 is the cartridge. Give us a review once you have it settled in.

Bob